Recalled/Assigned: Maple Leafs have recalled forward Nick Robertson from the Toronto Marlies

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Glad he’s recovered. Should be a good asset either in TO or elsewhere. As Brian Burke might say, “he has good pedigree” or maybe it’s something Dreger says lol

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My opinion is you develop players for certain roles, and when they are called up its to fit those roles.
There is merit to your point, but what to this point in his pro career suggests that Robertson is ready from prime time and also can contribute at the expected level?

In his limited NHL viewing to date, he has looked a lot like Bambi out there often falling down and getting knocked down and off the puck easily, and when played up the lineup struggled to make an impact.

Robertson is a sniper by style and eventually to reach his potential will need to play in a scoring role and on a PP unit and with playmakers that can get him the puck. He wouldn't be much of a NHLer if he only played 4th line minutes with 4th line players without any specialty time.

Some day Sandin might develop into a #1/top pairing defender and man a #1 PP unit, but to this point he has been sheltered and played mainly on the 3rd pairing.. I expect Leafs to bring other young players along similarly and generally with prospects they will tell you when they are ready for increased roles.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Robertson and Clifford get called up...which one gets 2nd line and which gets 4th?
Just watched the last two Marlies games against Laval and Clifford scored in both games and actually played quite well. Does that mean he should be given 2nd line minutes? I hope not.

Reactions: stickty111

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There is merit to your point, but what to this point in his pro career suggests that Robertson is ready from prime time and also can contribute at the expected level?

In his limited NHL viewing to date, he has looked a lot like Bambi out there often falling down and getting knocked down and off the puck easily, and when played up the lineup struggled to make an impact.

Robertson is a sniper by style and eventually to reach his potential will need to play in a scoring role and on a PP unit and with playmakers that can get him the puck. He wouldn't be much of a NHLer if he only played 4th line minutes with 4th line players without any specialty time.

Some day Sandin might develop into a #1/top pairing defender and man a #1 PP unit, but to this point he has been sheltered and played mainly on the 3rd pairing.. I expect Leafs to bring other young players along similarly and generally with prospects they will tell you when they are ready for increased roles.
Do you remember Kadri? I do I am a season ticket holder for both Marlies and Leafs .. now his 1st 3 years he was BAMBI ..

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Love it. See if he can be the solution before giving away assets Perhaps he can do the same job for the next few years at a lower cap hit. I am a fan.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't think he's making the team based on his defensive play this season one way or the other. It's going to come down to if he gels offensively
Oh I agree, I'm just thinking he can still show his offensive skills in that line as they get good chances and it still gives him a responsible upbringing in the NHL

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Excited to see Robertson with the big club again. As others have stated, I hope Keefe puts him in a position to succeed on the second line. He's not a bottom six type winger.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Excited to see Robertson with the big club again. As others have stated, I hope Keefe puts him in a position to succeed on the second line. He's not a bottom six type winger.

Having said that I feel like they need more of an energy line. Like Spezza but I wouldn’t mind seeing a kid line on the 4th line for a few games.

Robertson. Steeves. Ho Sang / Anderson

No toughness but will generate some scoring while keeping other 4th lines on their heels. Simmonds is a non factor most games.

Reactions: aingefan

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Worth noting that our fourth line isn't really typical given the talent Spezza and even Simmonds have.

Essentially he starts with two veterans who have been first liners in the prime of their career and still generate decent offense for their roles, especially Spezza. He won't need to be in line 2 to get offensive chances

Reactions: Ciao and glue

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I don’t really see a connection between Dzingel, Brooks, Amadio going on waivers and getting claimed and the viability of packaging Mikheyev + Holl and Dermott or whatever for a bigger fish at the deadline.

Sort of the difference between picking up an old couch on the sidewalk, buying a cheap couch at IKEA or getting something custom and high end at Restoration Hardware.

Agreed. Van wants a RHD and to fill their cupboard with guys who will play with Petey, Hughes, Hoglander and Podz.

At minimum it's a First, roster player that is not Holl or Dermott. Then Robertson or Amirov and maybe even a second pick

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good job Dubas.Promote from within & stop trading away picks.

Robertson might have been recalled to show case him, as the trade deadline approaches.

With Amirov out of commission with brain tumor presently that really puts Robertson near the top of the prospect list ,of available prospects to deal.

Reactions: trellaine201

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Hope he plays well enough that its like a deadline acquisition for a Middle 6 LW and we can focus on defence.

In the make a prediction thread, I predicted he would be a regular player in the Middle 6 by the end of the season, don't let me down Robertson :laugh:

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Hope he plays well enough that its like a deadline acquisition for a Middle 6 LW and we can focus on defence.

In the make a prediction thread, I predicted he would be a regular player in the Middle 6 by the end of the season, don't let me down Robertson :laugh:

Yup exactly. It'd be beauty if he could do that. Then they can Focus on D. Maybe get some picks and maybe even look at changing up the goalies.

I know it won't be as simple as that but I'm really rooting for him. I think that's why they're doing this. Don't trade for it when you might have it already. He doesn't need to be JT Miller he just needs to be effective and pop in a few goals and go to the net.

Worth a shot.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Nick Robertson makes his season debut tomorrow night as per Keefe.
The stomach bug Mikheyev left with last night has started spreading through players.
Mikheyev, Dermott , Engvall and Tavares all missed practice today. No confirmation on whether all have the bug however.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Maybe I’m way off, but to put Robertson in a position where he needs to fit right into the 2nd line LW position, is asking quite a bit from someone who recently came back from a big injury.

I mean, even if he plays fairly well, I don’t expect Dubas is going to fool himself into thinking that he doesn’t need to address the top six need. If he’s going to look to improve our top six forward unit, it has to be with a proven commodity, imo.

Mattfan02

May 18, 2021
The stomach bug Mikheyev left with last night has started spreading through players.
Mikheyev, Dermott , Engvall and Tavares all missed practice today. No confirmation on whether all have the bug however.

I think Tavares is expected to play tomorrow

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Kind of odd that three out of the four players that have this “bug”, are also heavily rumoured to be on the trade block. Probably just a coincidence though.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
That sucks. There is a bad stomach bug going around. Know a few people that got it and they said they literally were shitting their pants and bed. Which is not fun cause I’ve done that a few times.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
That sucks. There is a bad stomach bug going around. Know a few people that got it and they said they literally were shitting their pants and bed. Which is not fun cause I’ve done that a few times.
You lived up to your name!

I have been there too. Last week. Took about 36 hours to clear.....so to speak.

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020

Perfect time to bring these jerseys back :sarcasm:

maple-leafs-white-jerseys.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad