Recalled/Assigned: Maple Leafs have recalled forward Nick Robertson from the Toronto Marlies

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I did not say that .. all i said it will be much harder to move Engval than Mik .. i did not say either could not be moved .. it was a comparative

two good cheap players. both would return quality. but we have no reason to move either.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Throw him into the fire:

Robby-Tavares-Nylander

Don't think, just do.

Robertson and Willie are both LWers but Willie can play RW (according to Keefe, Willie likes playing on his off wing) and it's not unusual for European players to play the opposite shot wing.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That wouldn't even start the conversation unless the Prospects are the top guys. Mikheyev has no value to them and Holl is pretty much a dump.

we are def going to have to give up a top prospect to get JT Miller, and personally I'd do it.

Reactions: Jojalu

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I see we are back to the lowest common demoninators pushing the "all Leafs are shit value" narrative again.

Yet nearly every Leafs that goes on waivers gets claimed.

Proof that cognitive dissonance and mass-formation psychosis are real.

Are the quantity of waiver claims against the Leafs a measure of their high market value though?

Not really sure the idea of packaging up a number of smaller pieces for a big fish can be backed up by that.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Or they are trying to showcase Robertson

Possibly. Dubas built enough depth upfront that the team has options in hopes of filling in the lineup, or, showcasing players to address their needs via trade.

There are plenty of games left to complete the lineup with call ups, demotions or otherwise. Just do it and give the team more of what everyone knows it needs.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Give the boy some leash. Doesn't have the physical tools of a Kapanen but is every bit that level of prospect. Might have the head to adapt quicker as well.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Are the quantity of waiver claims against the Leafs a measure of their high market value though?

Not really sure the idea of packaging up a number of smaller pieces for a big fish can be backed up by that.
It's a measure of some value. But more to the point....if the ones the Leafs are discarding are getting claimed, that kinda shoots holes in the narrative that the Leaf players that they have kept have negative value too.

Look what a shit Ritchie returned. A solid 5/6 D and cap space.

Not buying into that ridiculous narrative that gets proven false with every single trade they make.

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It's a measure of some value. But more to the point....if the ones the Leafs are discarding are getting claimed, that kinda shoots holes in the narrative that the Leaf players that they have kept have negative value too.

Not buying into that ridiculous narrative that gets proven false with every single trade they make.
Stop using logic. It will only lead to pain hahahaha

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
well this isn't helpful.

i guess the news here would be.....willy moving to center might mean tavares is actually injured? but then clifford on that line seems a weird choice.

and Robertson on that 4th line looks like something they might definitely try.

reading tea leaves guessing......Tavares is injured, mikky and engvall will be back tommorrow, robertson will play not clifford.

Reactions: stickty111

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Very interesting development. This is how I see the move:

Kyle Dubas probably has 2 want's this upcoming TDL. A top 6 LW'er, and a Top 4 Defensemen. At this point with Muzz on LTIR it could be either an LHD or RHD, but more preferably an RHD.

Given the unexpected and terrible news of Rodion Amirov's health, I am sure Kyle is less inclined to move a top prospect, specifically a LW prospect, as we instantly become very thin in that regard if we were to move either Knies or Robertson. Bunting will be due a major raise in all likelihood in the summer of 2023, and there is a good chance he will not get that raise in Toronto. Leaving the Leafs needing to fill 2 top-6 LW positions in the next 2 years. Who knows at this point if Amirov will ever even play another professional game. So Robertson and Knies should be more than likely off the table IMO.

We also have very little draft capital going forward. Which further complicates our situation, as that is what teams want going the other way in a trade (prospects and picks). Our Prospect pool is good right now, but with the Amirov news and if we were to part with one of Robertson, Knies, or Niemela we instantly become very thin at the top IMO. We have great depth in our prospect pool, but also a ton of question marks associated to most of that depth.

I think Kyle brought Robertson up because he wants to give this kid a run in the top 6. Can Nick be the answer for top 6 LW. We need to see if he can fill that void this year prior to the TDL. We cannot afford to be parting with many more picks and high end prospects at this point IMO, so we will have to try to find answers from within first before we blow our load on a player that may or may not have been needed all along. We have no internal candidates for top 4 RHD, so why not try out Nick to fill our other void in top 6 LW. It could potentially allow whatever capital we were planning on spending to fill that void to be used on boosting a package for a top-4
Defenseman

I think I'd be ok moving Niemela if we were to have to move a top prospect, but it really would not be my preference. The returning player would have to be very good with term left on the deal. I think the one prospect I would be actively shopping is Hirvonen. Not because I don't like him, I see an NHL player there. I just don't think his NHL upside is anything that we'd regret moving. He still has a decent value IMO, and along with say Dermott we could get a good player coming the other way potentially. Especially now that we may not need retention with the Muzz injury.

Minimal loss, but both voids could potentially be filled. Of course this all hinges on Roberston's ability to adapt to the NHL game in the top-6. I just hope they give him a little leash to make some mistakes. Give him a 5 game sample.

Reactions: Brown Dog

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
well this isn't helpful.

i guess the news here would be.....willy moving to center might mean tavares is actually injured? but then clifford on that line seems a weird choice.

reading tea leaves guessing......Tavares is injured, mikky and engvall will be back tommorrow, robertson will play not clifford.

What a dumb waste of Robertson if the lines are like that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah I'm not really sure what they're going on about.
Seems just a bunch of weird generalizations.

I guess Holl and Mikheyev could be center pieces of a deal but it's hard to see for me.

Reactions: hotpaws

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I don’t really see a connection between Dzingel, Brooks, Amadio going on waivers and getting claimed and the viability of packaging Mikheyev + Holl and Dermott or whatever for a bigger fish at the deadline.

Sort of the difference between picking up an old couch on the sidewalk, buying a cheap couch at IKEA or getting something custom and high end at Restoration Hardware.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah I'm not really sure what they're going on about.
Seems just a bunch of weird generalizations.

I guess Holl and Mikheyev could be center pieces of a deal but it's hard to see for me.

Yeah, probably more helpful to discuss actual trades scenarios with actual players and other teams, their needs and what we could get back.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don’t really see a connection between Dzingel, Brooks, Amadio going on waivers and getting claimed and the viability of packaging Mikheyev + Holl and Dermott or whatever for a bigger fish at the deadline.

Sort of the difference between picking up an old couch on the sidewalk, buying a cheap couch at IKEA or getting something custom and high end at Restoration Hardware.
Good post, makes no sense. These guys are borderline guys which is why they end up on waivers. That other teams grab them and put them at the bottom of their rosters supports that. Unless of course the thought is Dubas is throwing a bunch of studs away, then that's a whole other problem.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
well this isn't helpful.

I don't like the idea of Nick on that 4th line TBH. I just don't think he will be effective in that role. This was what I feared with the callup TBH. I agree with you though, that is likely the line they will run with tmw. There is no reason to have Nick practicing with them today in place of Clifford. Clifford is very clearly just a place holder for the absent players. There is zero chance he see's top 6 minutes.

Not thrilled with this decision. I'd rather Nick play in the AHL than on the 4th line. I just don't see how he will provide anything more than Engvall in that position TBH. It's a waste of time IMO.

lol I just saw Holl as 3rd line RW now, so who f***ing knows what the hell is going on here

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Mik's days here are numbered .. he will be used as part of a transaction to get a top 4D for playoff run

I have to say, when he came back, Mik was really solid there. 10 points in 12 games, and doing everything right. Then six games with nothing, bad possession... everything bad. What happened?

Anyway, I hope that Robertson grabs a spot and runs here, if he can show something now, that would be great. Part of me thinks he's better served with a full season in the AHL, but the Leafs are more important.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

kb

Aug 28, 2009

People were literally saying they had no value. Or negative value. This is incorrect.

I pointed out the truth that Leaf players were claimed because teams yes....saw value in these players.

Why are posters yet again pretending like every non-Leaf player has value, and every Leaf player doesn't? I did point out the Ritchie move....which was conveniently ignored because it put a dagger in the narrative.

I'm not the one trying to re-invent the wheel here. Seems like a rather simple straightforward concept that Leaf players have value. Maybe not directly as a return, but if you put them on the market, you would get something positive.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I have to say, when he came back, Mik was really solid there. 10 points in 12 games, and doing everything right. Then six games with nothing, bad possession... everything bad. What happened?

Anyway, I hope that Robertson grabs a spot and runs here, if he can show something now, that would be great. Part of me thinks he's better served with a full season in the AHL, but the Leafs are more important.
No idear what happened? Da guy is a bit of an enigma to me .. remember last playoffs???????? he was complete horse dung

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad