Recalled/Assigned: Maple Leafs have recalled forward Nick Robertson from the Toronto Marlies

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I see a few scenarios here...

1) He could just be called up for some NHL pay/Cap juggling
2) He could be Mikheyev's backup if he's not ready to go
3) The team might be looking at how he plays with the team before making a big splash for a forward
4) ALL OF THE ABOVE
Or 5) trade is already done and waiting medical clearance

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Robertson is a good player but I don't think sacking him with a heavy defensive zone starting line is how you get the most out of him. You're really not giving him a good chance to shine.

While Tavares and Nylander are struggling, they had a solid game yesterday with some solid chances. Not great but they'll cash in soon. Robertson on that line might just be what they need, someone with the hot hand and with likely a ton of energy.
I see your objections but Imo being o. The kampf line forces him to keep his focus on playing responsibly and that line usually ends up playing in the offensive zone, so he will have his chance to shine there.
Giving him predominantly offensive zone starts is great for his stats but personally I would like to see him focus on 200 feet of ice.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I think he wants a bigger role without having earned it. Also doesn't move the needle at all when the playoff begin (heavier games). Don't see them re-signing him - move him

It might be another one of those "Our own rental" type of things

If Robertson makes a permanent jump to the big club, Mik should absolutely be moved for help on D. Or as part of a package for a top 6 LW. I like Kerfoot but I feel like he would excel in a 3rd line role.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I like Mik, but it really feels like he doesn't wanna be here. I think we are a better team with him though, he kind of reminds me of Kulemin in his best years here.

I can see how it will be tough to provide Mikheyev with enough of an opportunity going into next season and beyond. I believe Robertson can replace him starting then. Anything prior to that might be a numbers game though and I couldn't disagree that we should be a better team with Mikheyev in the lineup (as opposed to trading him away due to his pending UFA status).

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Hopefully Robertson gets a look on the JT line.

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Kerfoot - Kampf - Kase
Engvall - Spezza - Simmonds

It’s puts Robertson in a position to succeed.

Reactions: supermann_98

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I like Mik, but it really feels like he doesn't wanna be here. I think we are a better team with him though, he kind of reminds me of Kulemin in his best years here.

Easily could see a sign and trade scenario. Mikheyev, Holl + prospects to Vancouver for JT Miller makes sense or if he wants out of Canada to Nashville for Filip Forsberg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He actually has the same tenacious, somewhat not speedy pacing as Tavares. Maybe they can find a rhythm along with another banger to loosen things up.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Easily could see a sign and trade scenario. Mikheyev, Holl + prospects to Vancouver for JT Miller makes sense or if he wants out of Canada to Nashville for Filip Forsberg

I mean if Vancouver and or Nashville want to shoot themselves in the foot that would be okay.

Reactions: Jojalu

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Mik's days here are numbered .. he will be used as part of a transaction to get a top 4D for playoff run
Isn't he UFA after this season? Can't see why any team would want that if selling a D.
They can punt Engvall instead, IMO.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I mean if Vancouver and or Nashville want to shoot themselves in the foot that would be okay.

Nashville can’t afford Forsberg, so getting any assets and a cheaper replacement makes sense.

Vancouver I think is rebuilding, so similar situation. I actually think Mikhayev would do well along side a guy like Bo Horvat, heavy for checking team that loves to attack with speed in a top 6 role. Mikheyev Would excel there

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I like what I've seem from the kid but I think we need a bigger winger in our top 6. Having said that, let's see what the kid can do playing with JT and Willie. Hopefully Willie decides to start playing soon.
Killorn is the biggest player in Tampa's top 6 at 6'1" 199lbs. Better players > size.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nashville can’t afford Forsberg, so getting any assets and a cheaper replacement makes sense.

Vancouver I think is rebuilding, so similar situation. I actually think Mikhayev would do well along side a guy like Bo Horvat, heavy for checking team that loves to attack with speed in a top 6 role. Mikheyev Would excel there

Problem is Mik is a year younger than JT Miller and a UFA.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Isn't he UFA after this season? Can't see why any team would want that if selling a D.
They can punt Engvall instead, IMO.

Either one is cool with me. I've seen the rerun of those 2 players ... what you see is what you get. Serviceable but you don't need 2 of basically the same thing. Bottom 6 has been fine but it could use a different element.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That wouldn't even start the conversation unless the Prospects are the top guys. Mikheyev has no value to them and Holl is pretty much a dump.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Either one is cool with me. I've seen the rerun of those 2 players ... what you see is what you get. Serviceable but you don't need 2 of basically the same thing. Bottom 6 has been fine but it could use a different element.
For sure. I'm looking at it from the other teams position. Mikheyev has little value.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Killorn is the biggest player in Tampa's top 6 at 6'1" 199lbs. Better players > size.

If it was was size only that mattered, the Goat would still be in our lineup. Should have been clear and said player who plays a "heavier" game. We do not have anybody who plays like Killorn, Cerelli in our top 6. A soft 5'9" 180 lb Kerfoot has proven he is not it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I’m interested to see Robertson up, possibly with Tavares. I do sometimes wonder if the management team pulls the trigger on these promotions a little too quickly though. Guy’s been back for what, a month after a massive leg injury?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad