Confirmed with Link: Mantha to Vegas for 2nd and 4th round picks

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Return seems about what I expected. Mantha has always been an efficient scorer with his minutes and has had strong underlying metrics as well, he’s not that easily replaceable.

Sure there are plenty of bodies to plug in. But they won’t score at his clip. And I’m worried they’re instead gonna commit his spot to a worse, just as expensive option in FA. We’ll see!

• Wow
Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
This clearly was the best deal out there or else why do it. If Vegas was kicking around tires on other middle 6 wingers and no one else was offering a 2nd then you have to pull the trigger. Sadly this was the best deal. A first would have been great though.

Who cares about the retention it affects the future nil.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Well BMAC's two biggest headaches are gone in a matter of days.

Exactly. He's going to get that final trade approval call, double-check to make sure Mantha and Kuznetsov are both actually gone, casually stride over to his trusty record player, carefully unsleeve an old Tom Jones LP, and then...

giphy.gif

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The point isn't to force teams to pay a first for Mantha. The point is the Capitals through their decisions over the last few years helped tank his value to the point where perhaps the most impactful rental on the board could only yield a late 2nd and a 4th.
I mean, sure. But they also couldn’t give him away last year and he started the year as a healthy scratch so they should also get some credit for rebuilding his value.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Maybe this was the best deal available but a late 2nd and a 4th for 50% retention on a very good, if inconsistent, 6'5 235 lbs two-way winger? Feels underwhelming and doesn't do much for the future or present of this team. Hopefully there's a plan for the second round pick.

Reactions: Hivemind and Block

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
This clearly was the best deal out there or else why do it. If Vegas was kicking around tires on other middle 6 wingers and no one else was offering a 2nd then you have to pull the trigger. Sadly this was the best deal. A first would have been great though.

Who cares about the retention it affects the future nil.
You only get so many retention slots. Would have been great to use this one to facilitate a big trade between two other teams where the money doesn't work out. Probably could have gotten a second for that alone.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Meh... a big power forward that fights and scores goals....looks like a panic sell; GMBM afraid the market will dry up. I miss the days all the trades happened at once and HF crashed with each one announced.

We could have gotten a 4th for his mouthpiece alone. Which I am not going to lie I am happy its gone.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Maybe this was the best deal available but a late 2nd and a 4th for 50% retention on a very good, if inconsistent, 6'5 235 lbs two-way winger? Feels underwhelming and doesn't do much for the future or present of this team. Hopefully there's a plan for the second round pick.
1st vs 2 and 4

Biggest mistake would be not moving him, it’s a good trade for both.

I mean … it’s Anthony Mantha on an expiring contract but I’m with ya.

Pie in sky wanted a 1st

Block

Feb 14, 2005
You only get so many retention slots. Would have been great to use this one to facilitate a big trade between two other teams where the money doesn't work out. Probably could have gotten a second for that alone.
Yeah, his general asset management is really confusing. Cap space is worth picks to good teams who are up against the cap.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
end of an error. see ya never bumtha.

terrible return too. cant wait until bm is gone. maybe we'll actually have someone who isnt actively ruining the team for once.
“Mantha is terrible, he’s a bum….. and why didn’t we get a better return???”

Honestly this seems like an accurate return, I thought getting a first for Mantha was a pipe dream. He’s been good this season and can help a team, but GM’s haven’t just forgotten his reputation. In theory you could wait until after Guentzel gets moved and hope you can get a desperate team, but who’s to say the Caps wouldn’t be viewed as desperate at that point as well?

Reactions: Ridley Simon

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Meh... a big power forward that fights and scores goals....looks like a panic sell; GMBM afraid the market will dry up. I miss the days all the trades happened at once and HF crashed with each one announced.

We could have gotten a 4th for his mouthpiece alone. Which I am not going to lie I am happy its gone.
He's not a power forward. He's built like one, but he does not hit like one.

Reactions: PlushMinus

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

A power forward? Who?

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
The positives:

1. He's not our problem anymore
2. Roster spot for a Hershey player ready to play in the NHL
3. Picks for real interests or trades later.
4. Caps aren't hoping to get in as a 8th seed and waste time.
5. Lappy gets more PP time.

The Negatives:

1. Could have waited until Guentzel was traded and maybe received a 1st.
2. Retaining 50%.
3. Hard to fill the goals on a goal starved team.

I don't consider this a GMBM fail, however I feel they could have waited a day or two.

Reactions: PlushMinus

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
“Mantha is terrible, he’s a bum….. and why didn’t we get a better return???”

Honestly this seems like an accurate return, I thought getting a first for Mantha was a pipe dream. He’s been good this season and can help a team, but GM’s haven’t just forgotten his reputation. In theory you could wait until after Guentzel gets moved and hope you can get a desperate team, but who’s to say the Caps wouldn’t be viewed as desperate at that point as well?

Getting a first is hopeful due to the market and parity of the NHL. I don't think most of us are going to lose any sleep over this trade. I agree, they should've waited for the Guentzel return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad