Confirmed with Link: Mantha to Vegas for 2nd and 4th round picks

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
The teams trading out firsts are trading late firsts that barely make the teams anyways. Caps will have to go full fail to get another player in the future that could be a superstar. Unless they are gathering late firsts to trade for superstars it’s meh anyway.
Sure, but then why bother trading for late seconds, which are even less likely to pan out?

Also worth remembering Lapierre, CMM, Sandin, Fever and Protas were late first round picks (or second or third rounders). Not everything is about getting superstars or instant NHLers.

Reactions: Block

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

'Rising' players don't get shed at the deadline for picks unless teams want to move on. This sort of hurried rebuild isn't going to provide good enough solutions unless standards are kept quite high. Unless Chychrun is available for multiple seconds or something I'd resist trying to replicate the Sandin deal and thinking they're getting over on teams. It's more the opposite this time of year.

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
With the trade being this early in the week, I wonder if the plan is on flipping these picks

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Sellsellsell!
IMG_8483.gif

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

'Rising' players don't get shed at the deadline for picks unless teams want to move on. This sort of hurried rebuild isn't going to provide good enough solutions unless standards are kept quite high. Unless Chychrun is available for multiple seconds or something I'd resist trying to replicate the Sandin deal and thinking they're getting over on teams. It's more the opposite this time of year.

Agreed. In hindsight I feel like we overpaid for Sandin. I was happy with the deal when it went down but he's really nothing special. In a draft that deep there were some pretty good players left on the board in that pick range.

Reactions: Block

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No stats back up that lunacy.
Actually nearly every stat backs up that lunacy except assists. Mantha is a better play driver, forces more turnovers, scores at a much higher clip at even strength, suppresses scoring chances at a higher rate; at even strength Mantha is first on the team in high danger chances for % and expected goals for %. Mantha is producing those numbers despite being deployed in much more difficult situations -- Mantha gets to start his shifts in the offensive zone 43% of the time while Strome has an offensive zone start % of 71%.

It's ok to admit that Mantha was really good this year. He was terrific and it's a really big loss. And again, I love Strome; he was my pick for team MVP last year.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
At least the wheels are in motion and the club has chosen a direction. Let’s clear out the rest and head into the draft loaded with lots of picks and try to swing some deals for players teams have to make hard decisions about. I.e Zegras, Necas..

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
The deal is now pretty awful with 50% retention since they are limited now doing that for other moves. GMBM has been quite mediocre over the last few years.

Not sure what you imagine Mantha is worth with his rep as a total rental...

No one's giving up a 1st for a depth wing rental with a dicey rep. He had value to us because he's currently standing out on a middling team. We got what he's worth. Anyone asserting that he'd have had more value at the TDL is blowing smoke.

The "late" picks argument is also nonsense. Only a contender is looking to make a trade like this, so every pick is late. A 1st was a pipe dream. Put the bong down.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The point isn't to force teams to pay a first for Mantha. The point is the Capitals through their decisions over the last few years helped tank his value to the point where perhaps the most impactful rental on the board could only yield a late 2nd and a 4th.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
As was mentioned, gmbm was likely shopping Mantha for at least the past year. This was probably the best offer he got in all that time. Waiting a few more days probably wouldn't have mattered much.

Take it and run.

The point isn't to force teams to pay a first for Mantha. The point is the Capitals through their decisions over the last few years helped tank his value to the point where perhaps the most impactful rental on the board could only yield a late 2nd and a 4th.
It's always the establishment's fault.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Um, Guentzel would like a word.

Reactions: blindsideheadshot

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Lmao playoff push with this team?
Yeah this team is NOT making the playoffs.

Over the last couple of weeks, even with teams like Tampa, Detroit and Philly playing 500 hockey, the Caps haven't gained ANY ground at all. The parity in the league - and the stupid loser point - makes it very difficult to close even a 6 point gap.

Nashville are the only team in the last few weeks who have made siginificant gains. They've gone from 2 points out of wildcard to 5 points clear of St Louis, on the back of an 8 game winning streak.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
This is graded as a “meh” deal for the time being. I’m assuming those draft picks are going to be flipped in another deal before the TDL. Surprised they retained on his deal with Vegas having half their team on LTIR

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish

“Just do one thing or the other. Don’t try to be two people at once.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad