Confirmed with Link: Mantha to Vegas for 2nd and 4th round picks

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Cap Friendly has updated the trade and it shows the 2nd is in '24 and the 4th is in '26.

It also shows Mantha's salary with Vegas at $2,850,000. So did we eat 50%?

Reactions: PlushMinus

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Correction: the fourth is in '26.

The deal is...fine. Normal for a winger of that magnitude IMO. Their sense of direction is...random.

It's all going to be about the follow-up and how they restructure. Consider me skeptical they really know what to do aside from a basic thiftiness and sort of resignation re: non-competitiveness.

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
We couldn’t give him away last off season, so it’s a lot better than it could’ve been.

What’s unfortunate is that we have very few pieces to move this year worth much - no Orlovs, certainly. I don’t see Patch, Edmunson or Dowd getting a first.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I would've held out for a better second asset, maybe from a team that doesn't win the Guentzel lottery or a team that would've needed us to retain..

Edit:
And shit, we ARE retaining 50%???

• Wow
Reactions: Hivemind

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
As a UFA coming off (what will likely be) a career year and looking to cash in on his last big payday AND with the salary cap going up, Mantha is absolutely going to sign a UFA deal that no Caps fan should be comfortable with.

He is not going to sign a "reasonable" or "team-friendly" 2 year x $5M "prove it" deal that some people here keep trying to push. That's just wishful thinking to the point of self delusion. Dude is having a career year. That's him proving it. And he's going to look to get paid. He'll go where the term and money are.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Not bad with no retention. Waiting until TDL for the full picture. Maybe the 2nd gets flipped, maybe we need to move this year/25 1st and they want to have a 2nd.

6 months ago we all would be excited by the return to unload him. I have a feeling he is getting up for a contract year and this will be the outlier

Wait and see.

Also allows retention deals for other players

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
As a UFA coming off (what will likely be) a career year and looking to cash in on his last big payday AND with the salary cap going up, Mantha is absolutely going to sign a UFA deal that no Caps fan should be comfortable with.

He is not going to sign a "reasonable" or "team-friendly" 2 year x $5M "prove it" deal that some people here keep trying to push. That's just wishful thinking to the point of self delusion. Dude is having a career year. That's him proving it. And he's going to look to get paid. He'll go where the term and money are.

Yup.

Door#1: 2nd and a 4th
Door #2: nothing

take your pick

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
A 2nd and 4th with no retention is about as expect, all the talk of a 1st was centered around us retaining 50%. Can't grade the deadline on 1 trade made 3 days before said deadline.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
We couldn’t give him away last off season, so it’s a lot better than it could’ve been.

What’s unfortunate is that we have very few pieces to move this year worth much - no Orlovs, certainly. I don’t see Patch, Edmunson or Dowd getting a first.
The teams trading out firsts are trading late firsts that barely make the teams anyways. Caps will have to go full fail to get another player in the future that could be a superstar. Unless they are gathering late firsts to trade for superstars it’s meh anyway.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
All the people whinging about how this is another "GMBM fail", please inform us what he should have gotten? What should Mantha have returned? What would you have done?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Not bad with no retention. Waiting until TDL for the full picture. Maybe the 2nd gets flipped, maybe we need to move this year/25 1st and they want to have a 2nd.

6 months ago we all would be excited by the return to unload him. I have a feeling he is getting up for a contract year and this will be the outlier

Wait and see.
Main trade boards show 50% retention.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Right after the All Star break it was reported that Vegas was heavily scouting the Caps. They evidently had scouts at the first five or so games after the break. And all along I thought it was Pacioretty that they were interested in since he had played for Vegas once before.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
The deal is now pretty awful with 50% retention since they are limited now doing that for other moves. GMBM has been quite mediocre over the last few years.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
So we retained the max and still only got a bottom half of the second round pick? That seems like we pulled the trigger too quick. Rather roll the dice and see if there's another taker closer to the deadline if that's the best Vegas could do.

Reactions: HecticGlow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad