Managerial merry go round part II

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sarri is probably the frontrunner at Madrid now, could have huge implications for Chelsea since now they have to challenge all the top end managers with RM (which any team will lose to).

Silva is a solid choice for Everton, he was always a decent manager who fell at some hard times at Watford and undeservedly got fired for it.

Also, you guys clearly overrate Blanc. Laurent Blanc is the Edinson Cavani of managers.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sarri is probably the frontrunner at Madrid now, could have huge implications for Chelsea since now they have to challenge all the top end managers with RM (which any team will lose to).

Silva is a solid choice for Everton, he was always a decent manager who fell at some hard times at Watford and undeservedly got fired for it.

Also, you guys clearly overrate Blanc. Laurent Blanc is the Edinson Cavani of managers.

Nah, Cavani is more under-rated than Blanc ;-)

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
It'll be Pochettino. No one else is a fit for that roster, except maybe Blanc, who isn't linked.

Madrid will use that shiny new extension as toilet paper if Pochettino is their Plan A.

In what way do you think Pochettino is a fit for Real Madrid?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
In what way do you think Pochettino is a fit for Real Madrid?
I mean he is reportedly on their short list, is a touted name and has Liga experience as player and manager. If Kane and/or Eriksen are targets, he can certainly facilitate that as well. Why would he not be?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I mean he is reportedly on their short list, is a touted name and has Liga experience as player and manager. If Kane and/or Eriksen are targets, he can certainly facilitate that as well. Why would he not be?

I don't see how any of those make him, as you described, one of the only fits to their roster.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How? Blanc has been a complete success everywhere he’s managed.
I wouldn't describe his time at PSG as successful, especially considering how easy it is to win the title in Ligue 1. It's probably the least parity of the big five leagues. He's a very boring and mediocre manager who doesn't have big faults, but lacks some serious ambitious as well. Hell, there are behind the scenes sources telling the media that he was very lazy at PSG and Bordeaux having his assistant running the drills and practices'.

Can't see a problem. Cavani is a top 5 striker.
Top 5 striker at what exactly? Being a product of the players around him?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So he was a product of the players around him when he was at Napoli as well?
You mean during the time that Serie A was in awful shape as well as team Italia and all the best players left to better leagues? When Cavani moved to Serie A, all it was, was a gateway league into Europe to showcase your talent and move to an actual "real man's" league and money. Now with that said, the head honchos of Serie A have done amazing work since then to establish the league as relevant again, but at that time you cannot tell me that it was a good league.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Some interesting notes with Zidane leaving:

• Not sure about his credibility, but at TV presenter for La Sexta has revealed Zidane's last conversation with Florentino Perez. Apparently it was at a meeting with Jose Angel Sanchez where it was expected that Zidane would want to talk about signings. Well that was not the case. “I will not continue”. The coach said “There is deterioration, I'm getting worn down with this squad. I think that things will get worse, the best thing to do is leave, that’s the best for you and for me.” Zidane apparently promised not to take charge of another team for the coming season, but that's to be expected either way.
  • Zidane during his press conference said that his best moment with Madrid was... winning La Liga. @koyvoo

Not shocking news he's gone if you think about it. It definitely sounds like a difficult dressing room to manage. Add to that 2.5 years at that level surely takes it's toll, but then you have to consider he came from managing the Castilla side for 2 years as well. So for me that's always a lot more than what people make it out to be. The timing is also perfect with the CL win. Still I'd say there's more to it than that. This latest campaign really wasn't that impressive. The CL run-in wasn't as good as previous seasons and the Final was dour. Then you have a poor Liga campaign and nothing in the Copa. You've also got an aging starting XI with players like Modric and Ronaldo clearly on the decline. Some of their younger players look good, but still a lot of question marks over many of them too. I always find it tough to rate Zidane. On the one hand I find him rather underrated here. On the other overrated at times. I suppose the truth is somewhere in the middle but leaning towards underrated. Either way his management of this Madrid side from rotations as @Corto is always banging on about, to the man-management side of the squad and to the subtle tactical changes (formation, the reinvention of Ronaldo) he deserves a good level of credit. And while I'm no Zidane fan, he deserves credit for the way this has gone down. He gave it some time after the Final to let the club and it's supporters celebrate, but then he also didn't let it drag on and you didn't see it coming. More importantly though, Madrid look at somewhat of a transitional point and his leaving now probably makes that easier. So full credit to him for how he handled, and I'm sure it takes some balls to tell a mafioso boss like Florentino Perez you're leaving on your own terms.

Very interesting to see what Madrid do now. Someone mentioned Pochettino, but didn't he just sign a new deal with Spurs? It's funny someone mentioned Wenger. Of course if you've been around enough Wenger was linked with both Madrid and Barça some years ago on somewhat regular basis. Still what's really interesting is I swear that last night I saw a blurb about Wenger wanting to manage a really big side. And note, this was before the Zidane news. Anyway, I think anyone's reasonable guess is a possibility at this stage, but I think Florentino Perez plays it safe.

I just realized that Real have only won la liga once in the past 6 years. How the **** does that happen?

It was a shock win for most who follow La Liga, but that's what happens when the refs give you at least 12 points as has been well documented.

Reactions: Hadoop

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You mean during the time that Serie A was in awful shape as well as team Italia and all the best players left to better leagues? When Cavani moved to Serie A, all it was, was a gateway league into Europe to showcase your talent and move to an actual "real man's" league and money. Now with that said, the head honchos of Serie A have done amazing work since then to establish the league as relevant again, but at that time you cannot tell me that it was a good league.

It was still a top 4 league at the time. I mean you don’t score 33 goals in your worst season because the league is that bad.

I know what you’re going to do and your gonna say he sucked at PSG when he moved there, but he was also playing LW which is just a stupid waste of his talent and surprise surprise now that he’s playing striker again he’s scoring at basically a GPG pace.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It was a shock win for most who follow La Liga, but that's what happens when the refs give you at least 12 points as has been well documented.

It amuses me to no end how some folks are using this Real to prove that possession football is dead while ignoring their impotence in the league. Not so much on here, but on some other boards there are german fans who are dancing for joy over this result; Zidane & Ranieri are apparently who Jogi should really be studying...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It was still a top 4 league at the time. I mean you don’t score 33 goals in your worst season because the league is that bad.

I know what you’re going to do and your gonna say he sucked at PSG when he moved there, but he was also playing LW which is just a stupid waste of his talent and surprise surprise now that he’s playing striker again he’s scoring at basically a GPG pace.
Don't waste your time.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What is the record fee paid for a manager?

Because unless Poch has a release clause in that new deal then you can be sure Levy will be asking for the moon.
And you think that will stop Real Madrid?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad