Management Discussion v46 | Warning in OP (#834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I'm no Aquillini fan but we could have it much, much worse with ownership than them. Take it from a Sens fan, there is far worse out there...

eugene-melynk.jpg

Reactions: UticaHockey

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
If by depth people mean warm bodies who can stand on two skates then yes we have it. If people mean players that you would be comfortable with having them fill larger roles in case of injuries then no, we absolutely do not have that.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I'm a Sabres fan. Be careful what you wish for when calling for a complete tank and rebuild. It can be much longer and painful than the tank commanders think.
This is fair enough, but I don't give a f*** about "tanking" I want someone who can accurately evaluate talent which is by far the biggest need when rebuilding.

Reactions: racerjoe

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Any team can beat another team on any given night in the NHL. That the Canucks beat them a few weeks ago is not meaningful...doubly so when the win was helped by 3 or 4 posts the Preds hit in the third.

What is meaningful is the pathetic display by this team the last handful of games, the previous two years and how after 32 games this season they sit 23rd despite being mostly healthy for the year.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This thread is an example of why I do not visit that much. The problem is not Benning and Linden. It is the owner. He refuses tom accept the full rebuild we need. The guy believes you can rebuild on the fly and dictating to the guys that they are to build a team that need to be competitive. That is why Erickson for a 6 year 36mill contract, Gagner got a 3 year 9.6 contract and MDZ got 2 year 6 mill--the owner dictated it. Sadly I think we may need to sink to a new hell to get the owner to stop being so hands on and let people do their thing.
That argument might make more sense of Aquilini was making these terrible moves. He isn't, Benning is.

Aquilini might be setting some guidelines, ie try and compete, but Linden and Benning are in complete lockstep, they believe in the same thing as Aquilini. They are just as guilty. Gillis was fired because he wanted to go in a different direction to the owner, Benning was hired because he wanted to do the same as the owner.

Also, nobody, not even aquilini is forcing him to sign these bad players. I doubt the owner even knows who half of them are.

Jim's running his own ship (aground mostly)..

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
we are a 500 club

You realize that’s the same as saying we are a bottom 6 or 7 club right? And that’s at the moment...they were the same last year at this time. They finished 29th.

Such lofty goals!

End result...if it was retool they failed. If it was rebuild they failed. If it was compete for playoffs they failed. If it was to insulate the kids they failed.

And all those things were actually available to them. THEY MESSED UP. Royally. Like you almost couldn’t do a worse job if you tried.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
google "scapegoat"

we suck so it must be somebody's fault and they need to be punished now.

the fact we were fine two weeks ago does not matter because, "oh look, a birdie!"
We were fine two weeks ago because our schedule had been super soft. Lots of people saw this coming.

Reactions: pomorick

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm a Sabres fan. Be careful what you wish for when calling for a complete tank and rebuild. It can be much longer and painful than the tank commanders think.
The Canucks rebuild arguably started in 2013 with the trading of Schneider, 2014 trading of Luongo and Kesler 25th finish. etc. We will be heading into year 6 with another top 5 pick from the 2018 draft.

They are currently on track for their 4th terrible year in the last 5 years. We are in the same territory as the intentionally bad tank teams, only we aren't trying to tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: racerjoe

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
This thread is an example of why I do not visit that much. The problem is not Benning and Linden. It is the owner. He refuses tom accept the full rebuild we need. The guy believes you can rebuild on the fly and dictating to the guys that they are to build a team that need to be competitive. That is why Erickson for a 6 year 36mill contract, Gagner got a 3 year 9.6 contract and MDZ got 2 year 6 mill--the owner dictated it. Sadly I think we may need to sink to a new hell to get the owner to stop being so hands on and let people do their thing.
Excellent. You really get what's likely going on below the surface, there aren't many of us here. I was just last night reading some of Dave Nonis thoughts on Aquilini's leadership style from 2009. Nonis paints him as a temperamental, constantly meddling tyrant prone to loud screaming fits and tantrums and impulsive ultimatums.

Pleased to meet you. You really should post more often though. I'm finding that plenty of people here are willing to listen to Aquilini meddling theories and scenarios. It would be great if we could build a large contingent here.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Any team can beat another team on any given night in the NHL. That the Canucks beat them a few weeks ago is not meaningful...doubly so when the win was helped by 3 or 4 posts the Preds hit in the third.

What is meaningful is the pathetic display by this team the last handful of games, the previous two years and how after 32 games this season they sit 23rd despite being mostly healthy for the year.

Also losing Horvat and Baertschi somewhat explains why they’ve scored just 5 goals in the last 4 games. It doesn’t even come close to explaining why they’ve allowed 20 over that time. You’ve got to look elsewhere for answers to that.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
If Benning is fired, which he shouldn't be as his drafting has been excellent thus far — the most important quality of a GM we needed after the past regime carved an absolutely horrific scar through our talent pipeline — then he will go down as one of those GM's like Bryan Murray in Anaheim, Jay Feaster in Calgary, Brian Burke in Vancouver and Dale Tallon in Chicago, whose philosophy and drafting laid the groundwork for future success to be gobbled up by some smooth-talking, less hockey-wise GM who comes in merely to appease the masses and talk down to them in terms that they understand, while silently reaping the rewards left by the past regime.

From day one, it's so obvious that Benning's tenure has been sunk by ownership interference, an in shambles scouting staff and system he wasn't able to redesign until this year (!), a prospect pool when he arrived that consisted of a possible 3rd line centre in Horvat (who was thankfully developed marvelously by Benning and Desjardins in order to salvage something out of the Luongo/Schneider fiasco)... and that's about it, and a market in Vancouver that was much more fickle in their attendance yet demanded a similar rebuild to those in Edmonton and Toronto.

An impossible situation, but one where Benning I think has ultimately done a very fine job. Unlike Gillis, this is a man who will be immediately scooped up by another organization should he be unfairly fired.

0din

Mar 8, 2016
The owners refuses to accept that a rebuild is needed and he will only hire people who agree with that idea
Okay you want the skinny on ownership moves?

His kids and relatives were being harassed like crazy due to how the media charged up fan hatred on the Luongo/Schnider thing and drop in the standings.

So he caved in, contacted the guy everyone in Vancouver loved, Linden, and hired him.

The owner has been paying for all those salaries of the people fired, the people that were not "yes" men.

He gave Linden full control over the team.

He is only consulted, for the term of Linden's contract, on big ticket signings.

You think a multi millionaire WANTS to pay 4 or 5 people millions of dollars for nothing? He is not in it for charity.

There was a budget and that is why so many of the new people are inexperienced rookies, they come cheap.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
We were fine two weeks ago because our schedule had been super soft. Lots of people saw this coming.

we played nashville on the road three weeks ago and beat them as the only team to have beaten them at home this year. i guess that was super soft nashville.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
google "scapegoat"

we suck so it must be somebody's fault and they need to be punished now.

the fact we were fine two weeks ago does not matter because, "oh look, a birdie!"
lmao, please define "fine"

You mean barely treading water when the 22 year old engine of the team that doesn't have quality depth to compensate for his departure was playing with our rookie who is shouldering our goal-scoring?

yeah, just fine I guess. Praise Benning for great roster construction!!!

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Okay you want the skinny on ownership moves?

His kids and relatives were being harassed like crazy due to how the media charged up fan hatred on the Luongo/Schnider thing and drop in the standings.

So he caved in, contacted the guy everyone in Vancouver loved, Linden, and hired him.

was there no one but linden that would satisfy this crazy mob of bullies harassing his poor children?

that still seems like an incredibly dumb reason for making a major decision in relation to a business worth half a billion dollars.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
his drafting has been excellent thus far —
Yeah, perfect track record, no top 6 blunders in the draft at all. D R A F T G U R U am I right?

From day one, it's so obvious that Benning's tenure has been sunk by ownership interference, an in shambles scouting staff and system he wasn't able to redesign until this year (!)
Refer to this post:
To add to this, because of how non-transparent the ownership/management of the Canucks have been, I'll entertain the idea that Lindenning is at the mercy of the ownership.

That means:

1) They were okay with signing their contracts knowing they couldn't take the direction they wanted with the team but agreed regardless (a mistake they made).
2) They tried to secure their positions by promising ownership that they COULD rebuild on the fly and make this team competitive in ~2-3 years.
3) They actually HAVE been given the freedom and autonomy to do what they want but are just genuinely terrible at their jobs.

Let's say either three is a possibility, how would someone still want them around knowing they either have no spines, no direction or no idea how to manage a hockey team?

(who was thankfully developed marvelously by Benning and Desjardins in order to salvage something out of the Luongo/Schneider fiasco)
Yeah, good thing Benning knows exactly how to salvage a key player that wanted out of the team in Kesler. Just look at what he turned that into!! Sutter and Gudbranson!! What a GM!

An impossible situation, but one where Benning I think has ultimately done a very fine job. Unlike Gillis, this is a man who will be immediately scooped up by another organization should he be unfairly fired.
Hollow statement but I guess we'll see.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
we played nashville on the road three weeks ago and beat them as the only team to have beaten them at home this year. i guess that was super soft nashville.

I'm amazed how much stock you put into a single game that you feel the need to mention it in multiple threads, as if winning one game means anything.

The team won 5 times in 15 games prior to that Nashville game, that's why people correctly predicted that they'd fall down the standings. It didn't take a genius to see that they were being propped up by a hot start and a soft schedule.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Was checking Capfriendly.Com the other day.....shows the Canucks with one of the highest payrolls in the entire league.....basically no cap room even with the space offered up by Dorsett's career-ending injury.

I don't know about hockey, but in any other business if you have a far higher payroll than any of your competitors and are posting worse results it isn't long until the axe falls. But then I have to agree with other posters, that it all needs to start with new ownership. Surely the Aquillini's have to realize that the longer this gong show goes on, the greater the erosion in ticket sales, merchandise sales and corporate ad revenue?......but I guess with Canucks being rated the eighth most valuable NHL property, not much incentive to change things up.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
Yup, clearly a poor team must always lose to good teams and playing one good team invalidates the fact that the schedule as a whole was easy. The Canucks were just treading water on an easy schedule, with decent injury luck, and with several players clearly playing over their heads. If you didn't expect a hard regression, then you were very naive about the team's chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad