Management Discussion v46 | Warning in OP (#834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
lmao, please define "fine"

You mean barely treading water when the 22 year old engine of the team that doesn't have quality depth to compensate for his departure was playing with our rookie who is shouldering our goal-scoring?

yeah, just fine I guess. Praise Benning for great roster construction!!!

what kind of roster were you expecting this year?

what were your realistic expectations of this team?

what did you want? did you think he should build for the playoffs or tank?

in other words, are you cricitizing benning for building a roster that does exactly what you wanted and expected to happen?

because i think you are.

the guy was under orders to go for the playoffs for three years and retool on the fly. he tried what was a very risky strategy. then the foot came somewhat off the gas this year to let the team be bad. no more talk about playoffs. lower expectations.

so if you criticized benning the last three years for not rebuilding, then you wanted the team to be bad this year so we could rebuild,

and yet the second the team is bad this year, you start demanding he be fired because?

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Yeah, perfect track record, no top 6 blunders in the draft at all. D R A F T G U R U am I right?

Yeah, good thing Benning knows exactly how to salvage a key player that wanted out of the team in Kesler. Just look at what he turned that into!! Sutter and Gudbranson!! What a GM!

Hollow statement but I guess we'll see.
Yawn. Here we begin one of those "HF debates" that are caused because of reading incomprehension.

The Virtanen pick was, as I already indicated in my post, clearly ownership influenced (Gallagher). The Juolevi pick is wait-and-see and accepting that teams can't always just pick BPA (i.e. the Edmonton model of picking wingers as first pick 3 years in a row—Virtanen, Boeser, Tkachuk) and have to worry about things online posters have no clue about.

Gudbranson is a valuable trade asset, and Sutter is a defensive workhorse this team has direly missed. Old debate anyways, and at the end of the day, a comparable in Spezza got much less (nothing) than we got for a trade-restricted and injury-addled Ryan Kesler.

Not engaging with you further until your posts offer some form of substance, and don't hide your points in layers of sensationalism.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Yup, clearly a poor team must always lose to good teams and playing one good team invalidates the fact that the schedule as a whole was easy. The Canucks were just treading water on an easy schedule, with decent injury luck, and with several players clearly playing over their heads. If you didn't expect a hard regression, then you were very naive about the team's chances.

and if you check my posts, i have said all season they exceeded my expectations although i don't think the schedule has anything to do with it.

the issue i have is that now that the team is playing to expectations for a rebuilding team, there is total opportunistic hypocrisy from the benning haters demanding his head. unless you were dumb enough to think he was building a playoff team, you have zero complaint about what is happening. we are exactly where you'd expect us to be in a rebuild year. why suddenly is this the time to fire the guy?

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Yawn. Here we begin one of those "HF debates" that are caused because of reading incomprehension.

The Virtanen pick was, as I already indicated in my post, ownership influenced (Gallagher). The Juolevi pick is wait-and-see and accepting that teams can't always just pick BPA (i.e. the Edmonton model of picking wingers as first pick 3 years in a row—Virtanen, Boeser, Tkachuk) and have to worry about things online posters have no clue about.

Gudbranson is a valuable trade asset, and Sutter is a defensive workhorse this team has direly missed. Old debate anyways, and at the end of the day, a comparable in Spezza got much less (nothing) than we got for a trade-restricted and injury-addled Ryan Kesler.

Not engaging with you further until your posts offer some form of substance, and don't hide your points in layers of sensationalism.

Benning is a terrible GM, his only saving grace is that he has judd brackett on his scouting staff. Benning doesn't get any credit for boeser sorry. Neither for the 2017 draft. Linden specifically mentioned the shift to a more modern scouting philosophy and credited brackett for the development.

Benning is a dunce, gudbransson is a terrible #6 dman who consistently bleeds goals against, sutter is a 4th liner at best, this garbage team is what you get when you have a moron in charge who has no idea how to evaluate talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pomorick

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
This thread is an example of why I do not visit that much. The problem is not Benning and Linden. It is the owner. He refuses tom accept the full rebuild we need. The guy believes you can rebuild on the fly and dictating to the guys that they are to build a team that need to be competitive. That is why Erickson for a 6 year 36mill contract, Gagner got a 3 year 9.6 contract and MDZ got 2 year 6 mill--the owner dictated it. Sadly I think we may need to sink to a new hell to get the owner to stop being so hands on and let people do their thing.

The problem with placing it all on the owner is that it turns the management team into teflon (ie nothing sticks) no matter how badly the management does its job. By making the assumption that they are simply following the owner's direction you're excusing them from responsibility not only for the direction taken but from all responsibility for failing to accomplish their goals.

If the owner is dictating the direction then the management has filed to accomplish what it was hired to do-and said it could do-and deserves to be fired. Finishing 28th and 29th in successive years and at the very least out of the playoffs, almost certainly bottom 10 and possibly bottom 5 again is neither making the playoffs nor contending to do so. Their decisions have failed to retool the Canucks into a contending team.

If the owner isn't dictating the direction and management has chosen its own direction, meandering in a Family Circle type way around making the playoffs now and each and every season and placing that ahead of building for the future, saying they wouldn't trade picks or prospects and then spending the next thee years doing that and making decisions that are sometimes fine but at other times irrational, then the management team has failed both in choosing its goals and in accomplishing its goals-whatever they've been.

Btw, it's interesting to note how different this forum is compared with CDC, where the posters are overwhelmingly in favour of locking Benning up to a lengthy extension as soon as possible.

In any case, the management has:

-failed to compete for the playoffs each and every year (they competed-and made it-one year out of four)
-chosen to trade both picks and prospects for current help, cutting down the chances of getting good players in the future
-overpaid players of marginal value
-made some horrendous trades (as well as some that have worked out well)
-drafted somewhere between ok and well, with some bad picks but other good ones (it's still early to judge draft picks-very few are NHL players so far so they remain prospects
-done poorly so far at getting value out of players it has drafted.

As an example of the last of those points, look at the 2014 draft.
1(6) Virtanen-There were better options available to be drafted but Virtanen can be a useful player. The decision to play him in Vancouver in 2015-16 was ridiculous and imo hindered his development. He shows signs of doing some good things now, but the chances of him ever developing into better than a 3rd liner aren't looking good.
1(23) McCann-After drafting him the Canucks rushed him to the NHL and kept him there for a full season, imo almost ruining him and certainly hurting his value (though he now appears to be coming along in Florida.) Then with his value lowered they traded him together with other future assets for a tough, stay at home defenceman who was on an expiring contract and looking for a huge pay raise (he reportedly had turned down $5 million per and term from the Panthers before Vancouver acquired him) and who is weak in his on-ice decision making, who has been oft-injured and will probably leave in free agency this summer unless vastly overpaid. If Gudbranon leaves as a free agent this summer, what value have the Canucks gotten from drafting McCann? If the Canucks sign Gudbranson for too much term and too much money have the Canucks gotten any value out of drafting McCann? (Only those with heads in the clouds would say yes to that last question.)
2(36) Thatcher Demko-tracking well in Utica. It might be better for his development if there was an actual AHL-level defence in front of him.
2(50) traded for Linden Vey, who was gifted a lineup spot and eventually allowed to leave as a free agent
3(66) Nikita Tryamkin-a very fine talent, but there is a very good chance the Canucks will get no future value out of him.
3(85) traded to NYR for Derek Dorsett, who had one season left on his contract and was then signed to a ridiculous extension. Dorsett is a favourite in Vancouver but how much good is he going to be doing for the Canucks when they become competitive again? The extension to which he was signed was foreseeably terrible and many of us wrote about that at the time, including pointing out that the problem was not only the money but the term given his size, playing style and fighting were likely to shorten the length of time he could remain an effective player.
5(126) Gustav Forsling. Excellent pick. Of essentially no value to the Canucks as he was traded for Adam Clendening, who isn't good enough to play in the NHL and was included as a throwin on another controversial trade.
6th and 7th rounds-Kyle Pettit and MacKenzie Stewart, out of whom the Canucks are getting and will get no value.

So, given two picks in the 1st round, 2 in the 2nd round and 2 in the 3rd round, the Canucks will get far less value than they should have given the choice of players drafted. That drop in value from what could have been gained from the draft is not due to the decisions of the owners but due to decisions made by the management team (including coaching) after the draft. *. How much good has it done to have a GM whose purported strength is assessing amateur players?

* Some argue that in Tryamkin's case it isn't decisions made by the Canucks after drafting him that lower the value he is likely to bring. If indeed it is just that he prefers to play in Russia, then the decision to draft him looks much less favourable than indicated just by the player's potential. Either way, it is not ownership bringing a decrease in value to that pick. Yes, by itself it is just one decision. I'm looking at indications that even when the Canucks have drafted some useful prospects, they've at least so far gotten next to no value for those prospects and the outlook for the future isn't what it could be given just the ability of the drafted players.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0din

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
what kind of roster were you expecting this year?

what were your realistic expectations of this team?

what did you want? did you think he should build for the playoffs or tank?

in other words, are you cricitizing benning for building a roster that does exactly what you wanted and expected to happen?

because i think you are.

the guy was under orders to go for the playoffs for three years and retool on the fly. he tried what was a very risky strategy. then the foot came somewhat off the gas this year to let the team be bad. no more talk about playoffs. lower expectations.

so if you criticized benning the last three years for not rebuilding, then you wanted the team to be bad this year so we could rebuild,

and yet the second the team is bad this year, you start demanding he be fired because?

What are the general expectations of a team that spends to the cap and spends money on FA's like Vanek, Del Zotto and Gagner? That has guys like Eriksson and Sutter to lengthy contracts? What're the intentions of a team that makes those decisions exactly? Benning wanted us to make the playoffs. He thought he acquired quality depth players that would also insulate the young players. He called the team better than the 100 point 2015 playoff team.

I WANTED us to tank this year while ACQUIRING picks/young assets and NOT signing aging FA's to 3 year contacts. Benning made moves that implied the opposite of tanking (getting Nick Dowd, trading a 4th for Pouliot and saying he's currently looking for a top 9 forward) and now you think he's absolved of his crimes because the team is tanking/garbage anyway and is "doing what I wanted them to do"????

Here's an idea: Maybe he should've grew some balls and told ownership that wasn't a good strategy. Or not take the job if he felt uncomfortable "re-tooling on the fly".

Reactions: Jyrki21

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
This deserves it's own thread. Please don't bury this is some other evaluation thread that has 20,000 replies over the last 12 months.

This is going to come up more and more as this season goes on unless there is a monumental shift in the management style of Benning and Linden.

I am no sure there is anything that they can do, well Benning anyway, to save their jobs.
Absolutely terrible cap management, horrible untradeable contracts, ineffective drafting, meaning drafting players that are not ready to play in the NHL and having to wait 3 to 5 years to see if they can play in the NHL.

I hope Benning is handcuffed for making any dumb trades, a deal like 3 1rst's for Kane.

Do you think Benning is at the TDL? Does the owner "can" both? All those other contracts Linden and Benning fired and Gillis's are coming off the books, the millions spent to have guys watch.
I agree i think both should be fired. But Fire Linden First he has got to go

Reactions: 0din and pomorick

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Was checking Capfriendly.Com the other day.....shows the Canucks with one of the highest payrolls in the entire league.....basically no cap room even with the space offered up by Dorsett's career-ending injury.

I don't know about hockey, but in any other business if you have a far higher payroll than any of your competitors and are posting worse results it isn't long until the axe falls. But then I have to agree with other posters, that it all needs to start with new ownership. Surely the Aquillini's have to realize that the longer this gong show goes on, the greater the erosion in ticket sales, merchandise sales and corporate ad revenue?......but I guess with Canucks being rated the eighth most valuable NHL property, not much incentive to change things up.

does anyone seriously believe ownership has nothing to do with the cap spend? anyone seriously think linden and benning is spending millions of dollars to make this bad team infinitessimily better by signing a guy like erikkson or gagner or vanek even though the owner does not care if he does that?

does anyone seriously believe that ownership would have allowed a full rebuild here from the start? they wouldn't even let their management group use that word out loud for three years for fear of hurting ticket sales.

does anyone seriously believe that management guaranteed ownership that a retool on the fly would work and did not warn ownership of the risks.

this management group has been pulled in conflicting directions since they were hired between the owner's need to sell tickets and the need to rebuild the team. they are finally proceeding in the correct hockey direction, and the predictable result of being really bad is resulting. to me, for anyone who wanted a rebuild to demand their heads at this moment is just complete hypocrisy.

2011 still hurts

Feb 10, 2016
The Virtanen pick was, as I already indicated in my post, clearly ownership influenced (Gallagher).
Source?
The Juolevi pick is wait-and-see and accepting that teams can't always just pick BPA (i.e. the Edmonton model of picking wingers as first pick 3 years in a row—Virtanen, Boeser, Tkachuk) and have to worry about things online posters have no clue about.
Listen, if Juolevi develops into anything more than a defensemen we could've picked up from waivers or a cheap FA and actually justifies having not taken a winger like Tkachuk over I willl gladly eat crow for you. I want to, trust me. This team NEEDS Juolevi to develop into something special for our blue line to look above league average.
Gudbranson is a valuable trade asset, and Sutter is a defensive workhorse this team has direly missed.
Lmao, only just a valuable trade asset? Sutter is defensively sound, sure, but to reiterate, a one way third line centre isn't exactly premium. Certainly could've gotten more from a prime Kesler.
Yeah I'm the sensationilist, sure lmao. Give me some sources on the ownership reasons behind Virtanen and the things "online posters have no clue about", thank you

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Source?

Listen, if Juolevi develops into anything more than a defensemen we could've picked up from waivers or a cheap FA and actually justifies having not taken a winger like Tkachuk over I willl gladly eat crow for you. I want to, trust me. This team NEEDS Juolevi to develop into something special for our blue line to look above league average.

Lmao, only just a valuable trade asset? Sutter is defensively sound, sure, but to reiterate, a one way third line centre isn't exactly premium. Certainly could've gotten more from a prime Kesler.

Yeah I'm the sensationilist, sure lmao. Give me some sources on the ownership reasons behind Virtanen and the things "online posters have no clue about", thank you

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
What are the general expectations of a team that spends to the cap and spends money on FA's like Vanek, Del Zotto and Gagner? That has guys like Eriksson and Sutter to lengthy contracts? What're the intentions of a team that makes those decisions exactly? Benning wanted us to make the playoffs. He thought he acquired quality depth players that would also insulate the young players. He called the team better than the 100 point 2015 playoff team.

I WANTED us to tank this year while ACQUIRING picks/young assets and NOT signing aging FA's to 3 year contacts. Benning made moves that implied the opposite of tanking (getting Nick Dowd, trading a 4th for Pouliot and saying he's currently looking for a top 9 forward) and now you think he's absolved of his crimes because the team is tanking/garbage anyway and is "doing what I wanted them to do"????

Here's an idea: Maybe he should've grew some balls and told ownership that wasn't a good strategy. Or not take the job if he felt uncomfortable "re-tooling on the fly".

you got your wish. we are tanking at least until they get horvat back.

benning's moves this year were much more muted than in previous years. he also did not try and sell the idea of playoffs as he has in years past. i would have preferred to see no medium moves like gagner, but the moves he did make were barely above replacement level signings. the goal of those moves seems to have been to field as good a roster as he could without making any compromises toward a rebuild. that's a huge change from years past where we took on a 6 year $6m contract and did other desperate rangers like things.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Yeah, perfect track record, no top 6 blunders in the draft at all. D R A F T G U R U am I right?

Refer to this post:

Yeah, good thing Benning knows exactly how to salvage a key player that wanted out of the team in Kesler. Just look at what he turned that into!! Sutter and Gudbranson!! What a GM!

Hollow statement but I guess we'll see.

You took the bait dude.

2011 still hurts

Feb 10, 2016
you got your wish. we are tanking at least until they get horvat back.

benning's moves this year were much more muted than in previous years. he also did not try and sell the idea of playoffs as he has in years past. i would have preferred to see no medium moves like gagner, but the moves he did make were barely above replacement level signings. the goal of those moves seems to have been to field as good a roster as he could without making any compromises toward a rebuild. that's a huge change from years past where we took on a 6 year $6m contract and did other desperate rangers like things.
Replacement-level players don't generally get 3 million for 3 year terms. Or 3 million for 2 years.

If your standards for "he started rebuilding THIS year!!!!' are more "muted" decisions to throw money at term deals to washed up FA's and continue to give away picks and prospects for reclamation projects then I feel bad for you. And me. And this team.

Also I love how the same posters saying people are using Benning as a scapegoat without "knowing everything about the ownership" then go on to think it's completely valid on their part to use ownership as a scapegoat for Benning with any actual credible sources.

It's better for you guys to judge how things are based on rumors/suspicions than the anti-Benning crowd to judge things based off of years of bad transactions????????

lmfao

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucks5551

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Replacement-level players don't generally get 3 million for 3 year terms. Or 3 million for 2 years.

If you standards for "he started rebuilding THIS year!!!!' are more "muted" decisions to throw money at term deals to washed up FA's and continue to give away picks and prospects for reclamation projects then I feel bad for you. And me. And this team.

Also I love how the same posters saying people are using Benning as a scapegoat without "knowing everything about the ownership" then go on to think it's completely valid on their part to use ownership as a scapegoat for Benning with any actual credible sources.

It's better for you guys to judge how things are bases on rumors/suspicions than the anti-Benning crowd to judge things based off of years of bad transactions????????

lmfao

i judge what i see and common sense. i am comfortable in inferring that ownership has had a big hand in the past 4 years.

if you want to argue it's all benning all the time and every bad thing that has happened is on him, feel free to do so. there's plenty of threads where you can do that all day long here.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
does anyone seriously believe ownership has nothing to do with the cap spend? anyone seriously think linden and benning is spending millions of dollars to make this bad team infinitessimily better by signing a guy like erikkson or gagner or vanek even though the owner does not care if he does that?

does anyone seriously believe that ownership would have allowed a full rebuild here from the start? they wouldn't even let their management group use that word out loud for three years for fear of hurting ticket sales.

does anyone seriously believe that management guaranteed ownership that a retool on the fly would work and did not warn ownership of the risks.

this management group has been pulled in conflicting directions since they were hired between the owner's need to sell tickets and the need to rebuild the team. they are finally proceeding in the correct hockey direction, and the predictable result of being really bad is resulting. to me, for anyone who wanted a rebuild to demand their heads at this moment is just complete hypocrisy.

What's hypocritical about not wanting a management group that completely bungled a retool to be in charge of the rebuild?

Reactions: Canucks5551

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I definitely think ownership has a hand in the state of the team. I don't however pretend to think that they're responsible for Jim acquiring bad players and signing them to bad contracts. Over and over and over. That's just willful ignorance.
I can see them wanting someone like Kane here (local guy and all). Other questionable acquisitions (ie., Eriksson, Guds) - I highly doubt it.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I definitely think ownership has a hand in the state of the team. I don't however pretend to think that they're responsible for Jim acquiring bad players and signing them to bad contracts. Over and over and over. That's just willful ignorance.

Yeah, you can have a less than ideal strategy in place but still do a good job of executing it. Faced with a mandate to retool, a good GM would've focused on acquiring good, undervalued players with a minimum outlay of assets in order to prop up the current team without harming the future. Instead Benning overpaid for junk, gave away good players for essentially nothing, and sent the team to the bottom of the standings while trading away an entire draft's worth of picks.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I think ownership sets goals like 'spend to the cap' and 'try to make the playoffs', players avoid Vancouver like it's radioactive and demand massive over payment to sign here, Trevor Linden smiles and kisses babies, chef Jim works his magic in the kitchen and voila, a masterpiece. It's an only in Vancouver recipe, nouvelle dumbo gumbo call it.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
What's hypocritical about not wanting a management group that completely bungled a retool to be in charge of the rebuild?

well how about the timing of this demand right now?

there are a number of arguments restated in the management thread almost constantly regarding how benning should be fired. none of them are better today than they were two weeks ago. that thread is always there for you to badmouth benning top your heart's content in a safe supportive environment.

but today's "new" thread is clearly timed linked to the team sucking since horvat got hurt. which has nothing to do with whether he "blew a retool", whatever that means. people are bandwagoning here in a thread because the team sucks, even though they ostensibly support the exact rebuild steps which are making the team suck.

that would be the hypocrisy.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Benning is a terrible GM, his only saving grace is that he has judd brackett on his scouting staff. Benning doesn't get any credit for boeser sorry. Neither for the 2017 draft. Linden specifically mentioned the shift to a more modern scouting philosophy and credited brackett for the development.

Benning is a dunce, gudbransson is a terrible #6 dman who consistently bleeds goals against, sutter is a 4th liner at best, this garbage team is what you get when you have a moron in charge who has no idea how to evaluate talent.

Not defending Benning but go back and watch the 2015 draft video. At pick 12 Benning says "we're not gonna get Boeser" when the Canucks weren't picking until 23. He definitely has a say in that pick. I'm sure Brackett was the one doing the leg work but they both zoned in on Boeser

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I think ownership sets goals like 'spend to the cap' and 'try to make the playoffs', players avoid Vancouver like it's radioactive and demand massive over payment to sign here, Trevor Linden smiles and kisses babies, chef Jim works his magic in the kitchen and voila, a masterpiece. It's an only in Vancouver recipe, nouvelle dumbo gumbo call it.

I like you.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad