Management Discussion v46 | Warning in OP (#834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Beleskey on waivers.....Benning has found his top 9 forward! Only two more years at $3.8 mil after this one. Another foundational 20 goal scorer to insulate the kids.

Just ignore his career pace is about 25 points and his 20 goal year came when he shot at double his career SH%. Benning would...

No you're wrong. Benning wouldn't pick up a waiver player - there's no room for him to give up a draft pick. If he can't piss away picks, he ain't doing it.
:sarcasm:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
No you're wrong. Benning wouldn't pick up a waiver player - there's no room for him to give up a draft pick. If he can't piss away picks, he ain't doing it.
:sarcasm:

Right. He'll wait for the player to clear and then trade for him. Like Etem.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
....but Gillis!
gillis-arrogant_zpsa1icoat3.png

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

You know in one way it did 'sort of' work. I believe our forward lines right now are:

Daniel-Henrik-Boeser
Vanek-Burmistrov-Gagner
Goldobin-Granlund-Eriksson
Gaunce-Chaput-Virtanen
IR: Horvat, Baertschi, Sutter, Dorsett

We're down two top six and two bottom six forwards. Our 4th line is fairly reasonably, and there's only 1 farm callup (Goldobin) and one 4th liner (Burmistrov) in the top 9. And we still have one good callup in Reid Boucher on the farm.

So technically you could say the team was built to sustain 5-6 injuries up front... rather the more glaring problem that remains is the guys Benning acquires or the team he constructed just isn't very good. It would go along way to help if Gagner or Eriksson were living up to their cap hits, Granlund was worth something for all the time we've invested in him, or Virtanen could live up to his draft position.

And that's not even getting into the blueline.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
You know in one way it did 'sort of' work....

Honestly I dont see any good depth. There is a difference of having a bunch of waiver wire players that you can call up or actual depth on the pro team.

When Sutter, Gudbranson and Dorsett went down in short order I would say the team actually got better and won a few games, so that could be classified as addition by subtraction. However, now as soon as Horvat is down the team is looking like an AHL bottom feeder and only Boeser is providing a constant threat.

If they blame injuries again this year, they deserve to be fired just for that. They actually acknowledged the lack of depth as a problem in the past two season, doing it a 3rd time without being able to fix it over 4 years is proof of incompetence.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Honestly I dont see any good depth. There is a difference of having a bunch of waiver wire players that you can call up or actual depth on the pro team.

When Sutter, Gudbranson and Dorsett went down in short order I would say the team actually got better and won a few games, so that could be classified as addition by subtraction. However, now as soon as Horvat is down the team is looking like an AHL bottom feeder and only Boeser is providing a constant threat.

If they blame injuries again this year, they deserve to be fired just for that. They actually acknowledged the lack of depth as a problem in the past two season, doing it a 3rd time without being able to fix it over 4 years is proof of incompetence.

Benning hasn't been blindsided by the injuries... He's gone into this season with his eyes wide open... He's had to deal with about an average amount of injuries so far, and he's planned for that. He planned for about an average amount of injuries to occur, and his solution is what we're seeing. I don't know if he planned to trade Sabban, as a part of the planned solution... but even without this trade, he was comfortable with and liked what he did to address the depth. There should be no complaints from management about the injuries... including the coach... none. If they have complaints, it should be about how they planned to address the average amount of injuries.

"Our goal was to have more depth in our whole organization," Benning said. "From a building standpoint, I like where we’re at."
- July 1st, 2017

Benning adds depth and assets to Canucks as free agency opens - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Benning has had discussions with the owners about a contract extension?.....hard to believe.....If I'm the owner I'm looking for some signs of progression in what is now the fourth year of the current management regime....coming off consecutive 28th and 29th place finishes, the question for me is whether Benning can survive another 29th place finish. And should he?......whenever the TV camera panned Rogers Arena last night, appeared to be a lot of empty seats in the reds....despite a contest against a team that went to the Cup Final last year and is reputed to be one of the best in the entire NHL. Aquilini's may have confidence in this management group, but the paying customers are saying otherwise.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
So Benning has had discussions with the owners about a contract extension?.....hard to believe.....If I'm the owner I'm looking for some signs of progression in what is now the fourth year of the current management regime....coming off consecutive 28th and 29th place finishes, the question for me is whether Benning can survive another 29th place finish. And should he?......whenever the TV camera panned Rogers Arena last night, appeared to be a lot of empty seats in the reds....despite a contest against a team that went to the Cup Final last year and is reputed to be one of the best in the entire NHL. Aquilini's may have confidence in this management group, but the paying customers are saying otherwise.

Hehe see timing is everything. That tweet, if true, said Benning's so-called extension talk was at least before Dec.6th. On that day we beat the Flyers. And we all know what happened after right? A magnificent slaughter fest.

Like I said earlier should Aquaman extend this useless tub of pig excrement, Rogers Arena will become the setting for the next Fallout/Stalker game. Most fans will stop giving a f*** about the team, if they had not already run out of f***s to give by now.

0din

Mar 8, 2016
Does Benning get canned at all? Can you see Linden firing his buddy?
Will it be both going?
Who is out there to replace Benning at GM, I know the way he has done his job so far there are about 25,000 canditates, but I mean a really good winning GM? A guy that has experience in turning a team around, how about a couple of draft picks for Lamoierllo?

I think a count down to firing is in order.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

The Canucks and Prust had contract discussions during the season too... Things like "contract discussions" , or a "contract extension process has started" don't mean too much, imo... it could just be an email was sent saying, "Frank, can we talk about my contract extension?"... " sure jim, I'm busy right now... but we'll talk about it later". That would be an example of a possible contract discussion, or a contract extension process that has started. I'd be surprised if Benning didn't want to get a contract extension ASAP, or start discussions about it.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Benning hasn't been blindsided by the injuries... He's gone into this season with his eyes wide open... He's had to deal with about an average amount of injuries so far, and he's planned for that. He planned for about an average amount of injuries to occur, and his solution is what we're seeing. I don't know if he planned to trade Sabban, as a part of the planned solution... but even without this trade, he was comfortable with and liked what he did to address the depth. There should be no complaints from management about the injuries... including the coach... none. If they have complaints, it should be about how they planned to address the average amount of injuries.

"Our goal was to have more depth in our whole organization," Benning said. "From a building standpoint, I like where we’re at."
- July 1st, 2017

Benning adds depth and assets to Canucks as free agency opens - Sportsnet.ca

Ultimately we DO have depth, it’s just that the quality of that depth is garbage. And that’s been the biggest failing in Benning’s entire tenure here, namely what his “eye for talent” tells him is “quality” is horribly flawed. It’s almost impossible to bring in as many pro players as he has and have NONE of them pan out in a significantly positive way. Ok, maybe Baertschi is the one exception but even then he’s more “decent” than “great”. The rest, including Sbisa, Vey, Clendenning, Pedan, Granlund, Sutter, Gudbranson, Bartowski, Larsen, Eriksson, MDZ, Gagner, Burmistrov, Pouliot, and Dowd are all outright busts or still tremendously flawed players. You’d think that at least a couple would have panned out simply based on dumb luck.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Why are you dragging my GDT threads into this thread...????
"I feel like you're trying to talk people to death with boring and obtuse rhetoric."...does that ring a bell..?

There's no refusal or latency to understand, I understand your position perfectly. I just think it's dead wrong. Akin to those that I had rebutted in other threads about management action. We kept restating our opposing arguments. That can get boring. No surprise.

Here, you have made a bunch of claims that you have no support for. Injuries, team strength, coaching effects etc... Do you have support for any of it? Or is it just 'they beat this team before so they were good then'. Or, 'the team was built fine, the staggering injuries are leading to this'. Or, 'I they are above competitive, but I never said playoffs'. Whatever that even means??

It hasn't even gotten to the point that I can bring evidence to bear in the opposite, although Pitseleh already has. It's me asking you to support your argument, with anything substantive. Can you do it?

Reactions: y2kcanucks

0din

Mar 8, 2016
Ultimately we DO have depth, it’s just that the quality of that depth is garbage. And that’s been the biggest failing in Benning’s entire tenure here, namely what his “eye for talent” tells him is “quality” is horribly flawed. It’s almost impossible to bring in as many pro players as he has and have NONE of them pan out in a significantly positive way. Ok, maybe Baertschi is the one exception but even then he’s more “decent” than “great”. The rest, including Sbisa, Vey, Clendenning, Pedan, Granlund, Sutter, Gudbranson, Bartowski, Larsen, Eriksson, MDZ, Gagner, Burmistrov, Pouliot, and Dowd are all outright busts or still tremendously flawed players. You’d think that at least a couple would have panned out simply based on dumb luck.
Benning prefers European talent.

I wonder if Benning is handcuffed so he doesn't make a "save my job" trade? The kind of, "we will trade 2 1rs round picks and 3 2nd round picks and Tanev for Kane and Reinhart" save my ass trade.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
You have to be good to be lucky.

0din

Mar 8, 2016
This deserves it's own thread. Please don't bury this is some other evaluation thread that has 20,000 replies over the last 12 months.

This is going to come up more and more as this season goes on unless there is a monumental shift in the management style of Benning and Linden.

I am no sure there is anything that they can do, well Benning anyway, to save their jobs.
Absolutely terrible cap management, horrible untradeable contracts, ineffective drafting, meaning drafting players that are not ready to play in the NHL and having to wait 3 to 5 years to see if they can play in the NHL.

I hope Benning is handcuffed for making any dumb trades, a deal like 3 1rst's for Kane.

Do you think Benning is at the TDL? Does the owner "can" both? All those other contracts Linden and Benning fired and Gillis's are coming off the books, the millions spent to have guys watch.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Love seeing this thread. We need a larger movement on social media and on our radio stations with people calling for Linden and Benning to be fired. There needs to be a lot more pressure on ownership to get rid of these buffoons, and hopefully we'll finally see change.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
The one reason why I doubt he'd/they'd be fired this early in the season is that there aren't exactly many replacement candidates available right now. There are a handful of other GMs whose contracts are ending this year, and some AGMs like Julien BriseBois can't talk to other teams until the season ends. If Benning is let go right now, it would probably be Weisbrod of Ryan Johnson replacing him.

I guess you could bring in someone like Gilman as an interim GM. :dunno: There's also Don Maloney who's a pro scout for the Flames, but I don't know if he can interview for higher positions on other teams mid-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad