Make the Leafs Tougher

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Korshkov, Grundstrum, Engval

I think the idea is to insulate our young players with more guys with ... Guts, or whatever you want to call it. There's nothing saying these guys can't, but there's also no proof that they won't also become intimidated and disappear.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think the idea is to insulate our young players with more guys with ... Guts, or whatever you want to call it. There's nothing saying these guys can't, but there's also no proof that they won't also become intimidated and disappear.

Not if they are tough. And If they’re good enough Let them go out there and learn how to play a full year.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
We need to get better.

For example do you need to be tough if you are a fast team and tough players can't catch you?

Be better at everything. Toughness, speed, skill, intelligence, etc.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Wayne Simmonds

Simmonds Matthews Nylander

Marleau Kadri Marner

Hyman UFA/trade Kapanen

Brown UFA/trade Johnsson

Don't be stupid don't f*** with Matthews and Nylander they work together

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
We're gettin a better forecheck and transition game just by having Johnsson & Kapanen in the top 9 instead of our 1 way UFAs. Relax, trust the process of developing our kids instead of yearly reactionary trades trying to copy the Cup winners
Don’t think it’s reactionary. They are a pretty small, soft team. They barely hit and can’t take the man in their own zone. You don’t have to be a physical beast but they can’t even rub players out of their own zone. It’s frustrating watching the other team skate circles around them in the defensive zone. Not to mention not being physical in the corners in the offensive zone. Now that’s not every player but they could definitely play a lot more physical.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I don't think we need to get bigger up front.

We could certainly use another big defenseman who can PK. We can't rely on Hainsey so much this year... and after he leaves, we basically don't any anyone with any kind of size.

Holl might be the biggest guy in our system who is NHL ready (hopefully)... but other than that... we've got no one big who is anywhere near ready.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I probably wouldn't go chasing toughness. Seems like teams make dumb trades and signings when they try and do this.

We may have to address this in the coming years but for now, unless something that's too good to say no to appears, I think we need to let the kids grow into their man bodies and see where we are.

We aren't finished constructing the team. It would be a shame to spend assets for a player it turns out we don't need and look at the cost being a piece we do need.

Reactions: Mork

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I probably wouldn't go chasing toughness. Seems like teams make dumb trades and signings when they try and do this.

We may have to address this in the coming years but for now, unless something that's too good to say no to appears, I think we need to let the kids grow into their man bodies and see where we are.

We aren't finished constructing the team. It would be a shame to spend assets for a player it turns out we don't need and look at the cost being a piece we do need.

I think it's fine to balance out the lineup a bit with all the young players on the team but there's no need to go overboard like Edmonton would and overpay for toughness. Maybe Martin makes the team and we have small FA signing. Can't see them going Lucic hard on finding toughness.

Reactions: Cams and SHANNYPLAN

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs should make a blockbuster trade for Montreal's #3OA pick in the 2018 entry draft and take Brady Tkachuk.

Brady Tkachuk -- Matthews -- Marner

That would emulate

Tom Wilson -- Kuznetsov -- Ovechkin

PS. William Nylander for #3OA and Leafs get that player that plays with sandpaper.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Looking at the Knights playoff stats, every forward had more than one hit per game, even guys like Karlsson. They are mostly smurfs but they stay involved. Helm, Abdelkader and Glendening hit a lot but I don't recall Babcock's Wings having guys like Martin and Koma who had 3-4 hits a game. Is that a trend, or is he just playing with what they give him?

26th in the league in hits, 27th in blocks, 4th in giveaways, and they take more penalties than they draw. To me its sloppy play more so than bad players. Also, when you have key guys like AM and Willie who have little contact in their games, having hitters like Martin and Koma in the bottom 6 is no solution, and putting Koma in the top 6 is clearly not a good plan.

They might have the pieces to make it work internally giving Johnsson and Kapy full time rolls. Replacing Boz with Thornton is a nice step too, but on paper at least, Boone Jenner could be the best add because they would be buying low, but he isn't a full time center in spite of decent FO%. I would probably like to replace Brownie with someone bigger and I think they need to go outside the organization to do that. The next euros coming up are not ready to be impact players yet, and I think they need to be concerned with hiding them from the x draft.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs should make a blockbuster trade for Montreal's #3OA pick in the 2018 entry draft and take Brady Tkachuk.

That would emulate

PS. William Nylander for #3OA and Leafs get that player that plays with sandpaper.

I’d keep Willy, or if we get JT trade Willy for Matthew Tkachuk

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016

That would emulate

"Nylander scores!!! Montreal wins it in overtime over the Leafs!!! "

I just threw up in my imagination

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If not rush to bring up the Marlies, someone like Matt Calvert for depth.

If wanting to move out some wingers for grittier wingers it opens up a huge list of options.

I'd be okay with them going with the kids and see if they can provide some sandpaper, along with their speed and skill.

Jenner is an interesting thought.

I'd be more concerned about term of any external player coming in.

Bennett from the Flames with a change of scenery ... for a scoring winger.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Just need to keep adding/drafting players willing to win those 50/50 boards battles.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Our players right now just need to learn how take a hit better and to compete harder. It isn't a universal rule for everyone, I thought a guy like Rielly (for example) and Zaitsev really stepped up to the challenge this year.

You can't go around actively looking for a particular player that provides toughness, and does it at a high level. Someone like Tom Wilson doesn't grow on trees. You can have a agitator like Kadri, Tkachuk who are better hockey players, but it's not like you can replicate what Wilson provides. He's not just an agitator.

There really isn't one particularly, notable, physical player in this draft that slots into a top 6/top 4 role, as in other draft years, like with Jenner. A guy like Noel could develop into that but it's purely wishful thinking, as it's not within his nature at all.

I must say though, if your looking for physicality/toughness, it should ideally be from a top-flight player. The only player that may be eligible for that role, over the next few months that may be available are Trouba and ROR (though ROR is more of a competitor).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

That would emulate

Trade one of the best drafted and developed players the Leafs have in 20 years, whose just had their sophomore season for a mystery box draft pick? Seems unlikely

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If not rush to bring up the Marlies, someone like Matt Calvert for depth.

If wanting to move out some wingers for grittier wingers it opens up a huge list of options.

I'd be okay with them going with the kids and see if they can provide some sandpaper, along with their speed and skill.

Jenner is an interesting thought.

I'd be more concerned about term of any external player coming in.

Bennett from the Flames with a change of scenery ... for a scoring winger.

If the Leafs have interest in bennet they could probably get him dirt cheap (though perhaps for good reason...)

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
they thought they were buying a big strong fast winger when they got Marleau and Babcock turned him into a marshmello , we got a big strong fast center in Fehr but Babcock got his feelings hurt and made him disappear even tho he really did go out an do the job he was hired to do every night .We had a five way battle for the last 2 D spots and went with a big strong fast kid in Borgy and Babcock sent him away in favour of a small playing euro D in Dermott , We brought up big strong fast Holl when Morgan Lebda was out and replaced him with Carrick when he came back .etc......
Can you people not see that Bobcock thinks he knows better than the actual winning teams and is going to prove it no matter how long we suck to his ego .

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
they thought they were buying a big strong fast winger when they got Marleau and Babcock turned him into a marshmello , we got a big strong fast center in Fehr but Babcock got his feelings hurt and made him disappear even tho he really did go out an do the job he was hired to do every night .We had a five way battle for the last 2 D spots and went with a big strong fast kid in Borgy and Babcock sent him away in favour of a small playing euro D in Dermott , We brought up big strong fast Holl when Morgan Lebda was out and replaced him with Carrick when he came back .etc......
Can you people not see that Bobcock thinks he knows better than the actual winning teams and is going to prove it no matter how long we suck to his ego .

Did you call Dermott soft and small ? WTF

Reactions: Cams

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

That would emulate

Just so we're clear.

You'd trade Nylander for someone you expect to be a Tom Wilson level player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad