Make the Leafs Tougher

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Hyman was indeed very good for us in the playoffs. Kadri is another player who brings an edge. Matthews needs to play more assertive but all the tools are there.

Management knows that we need players who are harder to play against whether it's throwing a big hit, being aggressive on the forecheck, driving the net with authority or protecting the front of our net. It's the exact reason why Polak, Martin and Komarov were given such long leashes. It's also the exact reason why Bozak & JVR will be allowed to walk this off-season.

Even though they aren't smash em' type players adding Marleau + Hainsey made us a lot tougher to play against last season. I expect the Leafs to target other vets on 1 or 2 years deals this off-season who make this team tougher to play against. Particularly a vet Dman and veteran 4th line center. Upgrading on Polak/Carrick won't take much. Think names like Orpik, Bieksa, Hamhuis who could be brought in on 1-year deals. At forward I expect a quality vet 4th line center to be a priority and in preferably someone with size. Whether it be bringing back Plekanec or someone like Letestu, Beagle, Ryan or Luke Glendening who the Leafs have been rumored to be interested in for a long time.

Dude great post, I agree 100%

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
On forwards, the Leafs need more edge like Hyman, possibly from Johnsson/Kapanen. I like Martin, but don't see him
skating fast enough for Babcock's new-era way of doing things. Personally, I don't think the days of Gordie Howe smashing
you with an elbow is going to work for Matthews. He's not going to stop physical adversity and doesn't need to go look for it.
Some mention Bozak being soft, which is probably pretty smart considering he's only played 80 games three times and has
had concussion problems. I'd like to see a little more grit in playing the puck from Matthews, but care needs to be taken.
Superstars don't grow on trees. Matthews just needs to stay healthy.
On defense, the Leafs need Polak-type net presence. It sometimes feels like every defenseman on the Leafs is trying to
prove Polak's worth by not tying up their man in front of the net before the puck gets to them. It seems like such a simple
thing. Maybe it's size? Mental toughness? Experience? But the Leaf's general lack of strength in this area confounds me.

Reactions: White Shadow

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
:laugh: it's not just based on the 1 season buddy. Any 'testosterone, pugnacity, hitting, toughness' guy is likely to actually have trash results.

Sorry, guess you can't read. But I said who helped MORE, not who helped the team in any way.

But oh not so great one, who do you want us to acquire?

Who. Do. You. Want. Us. To. Acquire.

Instead of listing some dreamlist characteristics so you can blame the team for not getting them, list some available 'tough' players you want us to get.

We have to get tougher! But I don't know/scared to give my opinion on who we should get!

Niiiiice

If you aren't a GM then why are you discussing what the team needs?

There's a far bigger jump from not inputting to inputting that they need tough players, than going from they need tough players to listing potential tough players to acquire

Aren't you fun to have around....

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
We don't need to be tougher. We need this team to have more heart and grit. We need guys who can take a massive hit to make the play. Someone who will lay out in front of a shot to make that game saving block. We don't need knuckle tossers or fake tough guys (ala Lucic) who are absolutely useless at playing hockey. Babs' teams don't work that way.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
We don't need to be tougher. We need this team to have more heart and grit. We need guys who can take a massive hit to make the play. Someone who will lay out in front of a shot to make that game saving block. We don't need knuckle tossers or fake tough guys (ala Lucic) who are absolutely useless at playing hockey. Babs' teams don't work that way.
We will take Boone Jenner, Maroon and De Haan though. Pretty cheap too.
We might get rid of some of our otha suckas who be tender on that thang.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
So when we were tough with terrible players fans complained. Now we are more skilled and not tough fans still complain. Makes sense.

Fans will rightly complain until we win. Shouldn't need to explain that it's about balance. We need to win puck battles, be aggressive on the puck, stand up at our blue line, and clear the front of our net. Guys like Gardiner, Carrick, Rielly, Bozak, JVR, Nylander, Brown, Kapanen, Moore, Plecanec, even Matthews, they struggled with that when the intensity of the post season began.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I want the Leafs more aggressive not necessarily tougher.
In fast on the forecheck and never allowing time or space. Force turnovers down low with speed and in the neutral zone.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So when we were tough with terrible players fans complained. Now we are more skilled and not tough fans still complain. Makes sense.

We need to be somewhere in between. Closer to skill but with some push back. When your supposed sh1t disturber turns and skates away after an opponent licks his face, it says it all.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Tenacity > Toughness.
Yeah not looking for Lucic/Maroon types.
Looking for defensively sound speedy forwards who can play up and down the lineup and chip in with 10/12 goals. Guys like a Sheary/Rust/etc.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah not looking for Lucic/Maroon types.
Looking for defensively sound speedy forwards who can play up and down the lineup and chip in with 10/12 goals. Guys like a Sheary/Rust/etc.

Agreed.

Players like Johnsson and Kapanen for a full season will add so much more tenacity. Our forecheck was so much more effective with them as opposed to Martin, Komarov and whatever. Aaltonen is another that has a heck of a motor on the forecheck.

Komarov used to be one of the most tenacious and tough players on our team but he has regressed badly in that aspect. His hip/knees look to be finished to me. His last injury in the playoffs was sad to witness.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
We just need gritter/mobile players overall. Doesn't necessarily have to be tough, but we def need some swagger.

Moving away from players like Bozak would be nice. Even a guy like Connor Brown, who I find to be overrated and just too soft. I want to move on from Komarov as well because he seems to bring his nasty side/pest side only on occasional nights.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Some players we should look at:

-Aquire Boone Jenner for Prospect/Pick
-Acquire Jacob Trouba for a deal Centered around a Signed Jake Gardiner + Brown ++
-Acquire Bortuzzo to be Polak Replacement for 6th Defenseman. Better and agile than Polak. Also meaner

-Re-Sign JVR for Discount deal (Reports are that he wants to stay a Leaf)
-Sign Antoine Roussel (Better version of Komarov)

Hyman-Mathews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Jenner-Kapanen
Roussel-Gauthier-Johnsson

Reilly-Trouba
Hainsey-Zaitsev
Dermott-Bortuzzo

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Some players we should look at:

-Aquire Boone Jenner for Prospect/Pick
-Acquire Jacob Trouba for a deal Centered around a Signed Jake Gardiner + Brown ++
-Acquire Bortuzzo to be Polak Replacement for 6th Defenseman. Better and agile than Polak. Also meaner

-Re-Sign JVR for Discount deal (Reports are that he wants to stay a Leaf)
-Sign Antoine Roussel (Better version of Komarov)

Hyman-Mathews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Jenner-Kapanen
Roussel-Gauthier-Johnsson

Reilly-Trouba
Hainsey-Zaitsev
Dermott-Bortuzzo

When you think about how to make the Leafs tougher, JVR comes to mind? Really? :laugh::laugh:

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Marchment could add some much needed size and tenacity. Adding Grundstrom would inject a nice balance of skill and tenacity. Putting Moore in the lineup would add a good amount of speed, forechecking ability and skill.

Grundstrom, Moore, Marchment all add some of what we need. Unfortunately only one of them can make the team.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
When you think about how to make the Leafs tougher, JVR comes to mind? Really? :laugh::laugh:

JVR is soft as hell. I put JVR in as part of the Offseason moves I would do. Wasnt really putting him in for TOughness reasons.

Regardless of how tough your team can get, you still need people who can score goals. I think the roster I posted has the necessary amount of skill and grit combined

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
More Gilmour less Bozak.

We don't need toughness we just need more emotion and spunk.

Our team all have the same personality on the ice and that very robot like.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Just saying but Kerby Rychel looks like the perfect modern day fourth liner... whata stupid trade it was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad