Make the Leafs Tougher

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Definitely needs proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence

funny how at the time I took those comments from Burke seriously...

fast forward all these years, and if I heard him say those things today I'd be like wtf is this guy smoking

Reactions: Carter IV

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Definitely need Speed, length and some strength on the top two lines.
Hyman and a Kadri can’t carry the entire load trying to punish the opposition D.

Reactions: Duffman955

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
We could easily flip Zaitsev for Lucic retained plus an asset but hell no.

We do need more size, not necessarily toughness, up front though. If we can move Martin I wouldn't be opposed to Maroon for something like 3.25 x 3.

Hyman Matthews Kapanen
Marleau Kadri Marner
Maroon Nylander Johnsson

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Wayne Simmonds? I haven’t seen him play or looked at his stats lately but he once fit the bill.

No to Lucic
Simmonds has been a leaf killer for years, great player only concern is his expiring contract and cost to get him out of Philly

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
We could easily flip Zaitsev for Lucic retained plus an asset but hell no.

We do need more size, not necessarily toughness, up front though. If we can move Martin I wouldn't be opposed to Maroon for something like 3.25 x 3.

Hyman Matthews Kapanen
Marleau Kadri Marner
Maroon Nylander Johnsson
Maroon would be a good easy pickup

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Has to be fast enough to be able to get in on the forecheck to be able to deliver a hit.

Don't need big hitters you just need some guys that play with emotion. All our players a like robots and it's boring as hell. Great skill though but a little more Gilmour would be great.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Nick Ritchie from the Ducks is a player I would target. He fits our age group. Hasn't really blossomed in Anaheim.

His Power Foward type of game would compliment our skilled forwards pretty nicely.

For Defense, Obviously Trouba would be an Ideal candidate for many reasons. Toughness is one of them. IF not trouba, Greg Pateryn Would be a good cheap Pickup.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Has to be fast enough to be able to get in on the forecheck to be able to deliver a hit.

Don't need big hitters you just need some guys that play with emotion. All our players a like robots and it's boring as hell. Great skill though but a little more Gilmour would be great.

I agree. Thats one of the reasons I dont want Maroon. I want big players who can play mobile and get in on the forecheck. Washington has bunch of those players

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I agree. Thats one of the reasons I dont want Maroon. I want big players who can play mobile and get in on the forecheck. Washington has bunch of those players

But at this juncture is that really a thing? Maroon is certainly not as fast as Nylander or Johnsson but he can easily post up in front of the net and one of the D can jump up on the rush. I mean he played well enough with McDavid.

A guy can put up 30-40 points a year, but can play hard and drop the gloves, for just 3 years at manageable dollars I can handle it, opposed to Lucic, who is signed forever, older and slower or Simmonds who would be great but would cost our 1st and a very decent +.

But I wouldn't pay a cent more than 3.25 and ideally 2 years but I would go 3.

Otherwise Boone Jenner and Nick Ritchie are names I also like but heavily cost reliant. I don't want to ship out big assets for another winger.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Does Babcock even like bruisers?

How about the rest of the lineup do they shrink away when the game gets heavy? JvR, Bozak and Gardiner imo seemed to shrink when the games got physical.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
We're gettin a better forecheck and transition game just by having Johnsson & Kapanen in the top 9 instead of our 1 way UFAs. Relax, trust the process of developing our kids instead of yearly reactionary trades trying to copy the Cup winners

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
You might be able to get Jake Dotchin. At least if he's on our side he won't be injuring any more of our players, unless he's dumb enough to do it in practice.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Just have patience and let our younger guys get stronger and get more comfortable playing a more physical game. We don't need 1 dimensional players.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Does Babcock even like bruisers?

How about the rest of the lineup do they shrink away when the game gets heavy? JvR, Bozak and Gardiner imo seemed to shrink when the games got physical.

Add nylander to that list.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Jenner is best of the names so far. Jamie McGinn and Antoine Roussell are two others who may do well. Possibly Andrew Shaw.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Sign Rick Nash ?

Well, it can happen, because I’m hearing everyone wants to come join the circus in Toronto and the NHL and NHLPA have agreed the Leafs do not need to follow the salary cap restriction.
Of course, all Leaf draft picks will play for a reduced salary as will those from Ontario and anyone that was a Leaf fan as a kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad