Make the Leafs Tougher

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
they thought they were buying a big strong fast winger when they got Marleau and Babcock turned him into a marshmello , we got a big strong fast center in Fehr but Babcock got his feelings hurt and made him disappear even tho he really did go out an do the job he was hired to do every night .We had a five way battle for the last 2 D spots and went with a big strong fast kid in Borgy and Babcock sent him away in favour of a small playing euro D in Dermott , We brought up big strong fast Holl when Morgan Lebda was out and replaced him with Carrick when he came back .etc......
Can you people not see that Bobcock thinks he knows better than the actual winning teams and is going to prove it no matter how long we suck to his ego .
Dermott is 21 years old, 6' 209 lbs
Drew Doughty is 6'1 at 200 lbs.

Do you think LA will take Borgy in exchange for Doughty?

Reactions: Menzinger

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Don’t think it’s reactionary. They are a pretty small, soft team. They barely hit and can’t take the man in their own zone. You don’t have to be a physical beast but they can’t even rub players out of their own zone. It’s frustrating watching the other team skate circles around them in the defensive zone. Not to mention not being physical in the corners in the offensive zone. Now that’s not every player but they could definitely play a lot more physical.
Funny how our most 'big, tough, hitting' guy Polak gets abused on shots in the slot and in front of the net. Clearly skill is more of a determinant in results than toughness

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Funny how our most 'big, tough, hitting' guy Polak gets abused on shots in the slot and in front of the net. Clearly skill is more of a determinant in results than toughness
Good thing you used a 3rd pairing defenceman that came back from a broken leg.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Good thing you used a 3rd pairing defenceman that came back from a broken leg.
:laugh: it's not just based on the 1 season buddy. Any 'testosterone, pugnacity, hitting, toughness' guy is likely to actually have trash results.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
:laugh: it's not just based on the 1 season buddy. Any 'testosterone, pugnacity, hitting, toughness' guy is likely to actually have trash results.
Hey look, you quoted Brian Burke. Cute. All they need is guys that can play tough in both zones with some offensive upside. Instead of watching guys skate around.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Hey look, you quoted Brian Burke. Cute. All they need is guys that can play tough in both zones with some offensive upside. Instead of watching guys skate around.
Who do you think helped the Caps win more? Kuznetsov, a guy that skates around, or Wilson, a guy that can play tough in both zones with some offensive upside?

Just in case you make the wrong choice, the answer is Kuzy, as skill can take over games

Reactions: Menzinger

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Who do you think helped the Caps win more? Kuznetsov, a guy that skates around, or Wilson, a guy that can play tough in both zones with some offensive upside?

Just in case you make the wrong choice, the answer is Kuzy, as skill can take over games
Pretty sure tomwilson and his 15 points in 21 games helped them out. But keep telling me more oh great one.

Reactions: Cams

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Pretty sure tomwilson and his 15 points in 21 games helped them out. But keep telling me more oh great one.
Sorry, guess you can't read. But I said who helped MORE, not who helped the team in any way.

But oh not so great one, who do you want us to acquire?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Sorry, guess you can't read. But I said who helped MORE, not who helped the team in any way.

But oh not so great one, who do you want us to acquire?
Thanks tips. But it takes both types of players to win a championship. You can sit and debate/tell me who is more important.

Reactions: Cams

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks tips. But it takes both types of players to win a championship. You can sit and debate/tell me who is more important.
Who. Do. You. Want. Us. To. Acquire.

Instead of listing some dreamlist characteristics so you can blame the team for not getting them, list some available 'tough' players you want us to get.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Ovechkin and his physical presence was a much bigger factor than Kuznetsov

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Ovechkin and his physical presence was a much bigger factor than Kuznetsov
Ovy is a generational goal scoring power forward and there will likely never be another Ovy.

So instead of hoping that we randomly acquire an Ovechkin out of luck, I'm making the argument to appreciate our Kuznetsovs in Nylander & Marner.

But if you're for the increase in toughness, list some available guys you want

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Who. Do. You. Want. Us. To. Acquire.

Instead of listing some dreamlist characteristics so you can blame the team for not getting them, list some available 'tough' players you want us to get.
I’m not gonna debate with you cause I’m not a GM. They need 2 way guys that can play in both zones that are tough to play with.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I’m not gonna debate with you cause I’m not a GM. They need 2 way guys that can play in both zones that are tough to play with.
We have to get tougher! But I don't know/scared to give my opinion on who we should get!

Niiiiice

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
We have to get tougher! But I don't know/scared to give my opinion on who we should get!

Niiiiice
Why is that so hard to explain? I’m not a GM. What I say has no bearing on what the team will do. And I don’t generally care who they pick up as long as they are tough and can play a two way game.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Why is that so hard to explain? I’m not a GM. What I say has no bearing on what the team will do. And I don’t generally care who they pick up as long as they are tough and can play a two way game.
If you aren't a GM then why are you discussing what the team needs?

There's a far bigger jump from not inputting to inputting that they need tough players, than going from they need tough players to listing potential tough players to acquire

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
If you aren't a GM then why are you discussing what the team needs?

There's a far bigger jump from not inputting to inputting that they need tough players, than going from they need tough players to listing potential tough players to acquire
Thanks bud. Enjoy your Saturday night.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Leafs should make a blockbuster trade for Montreal's #3OA pick in the 2018 entry draft and take Brady Tkachuk.

Brady Tkachuk -- Matthews -- Marner

That would emulate

Tom Wilson -- Kuznetsov -- Ovechkin

PS. William Nylander for #3OA and Leafs get that player that plays with sandpaper.

Bergevin might do that.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Like Ovie and to some extent Sid.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

The correct answer is both guys.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
guys I would be checking in on would be guys like Charlie Coyle/Chris Kreider/Anders Lee/Josh Anderson/Boone Jenner. see who of these guys might be available.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
There are tough guys that are players, and players that are tough. Personally, I think the Leafs have one of the best tough guys that can play in Matt Martin.
And honestly, don't think it's enough. Babcock played guys like Kapanen over Martin. Babcock wants a new-age team and you won't see any tough guys no
matter how well they play. Why? Pace. Babcock wants all-out relentless pace that never give the opposition a chance to catch their breathe. The increase in
offense with Martin over Kapanen doesn't matter. What does matter is the opponents have just tried containing Kapanen and Johnsson and now comes
Matthews and Nylander. So unless you can find a tough guy that can skate like the wind, don't see it happening.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Just for kicks who will be the toughest player available for the Leafs in the first round? I'd love to add a bruiser of a defensive defenseman who can skate. Who's the meanest player in the draft with skill outside of Tkachuk?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad