Prospect Info: Magic Marner returns to London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He played centre last year in the playoffs where he went ham.

Just read the HF article that came out yesterday on the Leafs prospects. Anyone else notice that they changed Marner's rating? Used to be 8.5 D and everyone freaked out, now 8.5 C.

Thought it was interesting

Here is that report from the new Leafs prospect rankings.

1. (NR) Mitch Marner, C/RW, 8.5 C
Drafted 1st round, 4th overall, 2015

Marner ‘s two points per game average in the OHL last season as a 17-year-old placed him in rare and elite company. That’s because every other player to accomplish the same feat in the CHL (with a minimum of 40 games played) went on to enjoy a successful NHL career. While high scoring juniors do not always translate into successful NHL pros, Marner’s high end puck-handling skills and above average skating indicate he has the tools to play at higher levels.

An early indication of that was at the 2015 Team Canada Summer Evaluation Camp, where Marner proved to be the dominant player among an all-star cast of Canadian juniors. Marner will likely be returned to the London Knights where he will be moved to centre after playing most of last season on the wing. Marner will have to add strength and overcome concerns about his small size in order to be successful against bigger, stronger pros.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The fact Marner is 5`11 gives me no real worries about his size as, even though he was the lightest guy on the ice (160 lbs.), he looked dominant against his peers including throwing solid checks against bigger guys.

Once he grows into his frame, lookout NHL. Very much looking forward to him playing at the WJC and hopefully a mem cup run. He`ll be starting for the Leafs next year.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Absolutely no reason for concern this year, however if we're having this same conversation over a similar demotion result next year, then some doubt will begin to creep in and rightfully so if he still needs 2+ years of junior development and struggling to make the NHL.

I find this funny coming from the same person who couldn't refrain from using Giroux's development path as a possible (if not an insinuated probable) path for Marner's growth...

The rest of your post I agree with.

Nice to see a couple folks like IceWookie finally bringing a little sanity to the table. A kid who everyone and their dog expected to need more development time before proving ready for the show ends up needing more development time and people are already starting to question him.

This season is already becoming a test of patience, and the points don't even matter yet.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
In a recent poll 80% thought Marner would have been 1st. or 2nd. overall, 36% thought he would be 1st. overall if not for franchise players Eichel and McDavid.

Only 19% thought he'd be 3rd. or later.

How many 1st. overalls are sent back?
How many 2nd. overalls are sent back?

I know people get excited and overhype a hometown pick, and disparage an opponent pick.

So now we're using some poll based on herd mentality to try and disparage the guy for being sent down? That's a massive stretch and you know it. He wasn't 1st, he wasn't 2nd. He was 4th overall.

I'm not overhyping our own pick or disparaging other picks. I'm just saying this idea that sending down a top 5 pick is some sign of badness is just crap. It's got no validity.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
So now we're using some poll based on herd mentality to try and disparage the guy for being sent down? That's a massive stretch and you know it. He wasn't 1st, he wasn't 2nd. He was 4th overall.

I'm not overhyping our own pick or disparaging other picks. I'm just saying this idea that sending down a top 5 pick is some sign of badness is just crap. It's got no validity.

Both RNH and Yakupov should have likely gone back to junior too. In fact, RNH was likely in a very similar situation to Marner except we actually sent him back. I think Edmonton bought into the hype that they had to play the 1sts overalls. They thought they had their #1 C to play with Hall and then when they got Yakupov I don't think they got have gotten away with not playing him because the fans needed to see improvements.

If a team other then Edmonton picks 1st in either of those years I think you see Yakupov and RNH back in junior 1 more year.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
When is his first game with London, tonight?
It would be nice if there was a London fan that can unbiasedly keep us in the know about how he's doing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I find this funny coming from the same person who couldn't refrain from using Giroux's development path as a possible (if not an insinuated probable) path for Marner's growth...

The rest of your post I agree with..

Giroux is often used and Marner comparable on future potential.

If Marner became the next Claude Giroux wouldn't you be excited, because I know I would?.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
When is his first game with London, tonight?
It would be nice if there was a London fan that can unbiasedly keep us in the know about how he's doing.

DrJenniferHanson is pretty plugged in on the Knights, and I recall Cor saying he lives in London a few times. I would trust either of their opinions. Cor would be the best bet as he seems to be a regular, DrJenniferHanson either doesn't post much at all or in the Leafs section or just doesn't come online often.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Giroux is often used and Marner comparable on future potential.

If Marner became the next Claude Giroux wouldn't you be excited, because I know I would?.

I don't think you understood my point.

You spent the summer talking about Marner potentially following Giroux's development path, and now say that if he doesn't make the Leafs after two more seasons in the OHL (like Giroux) that it's cause for concern.

Just find it funny.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't think you understood my point.

You spent the summer talking about Marner potentially following Giroux's development path, and now say that if he doesn't make the Leafs after two more seasons in the OHL (like Giroux) that it's cause for concern.

Just find it funny.

I always believed that Marner's path to the NHL was going to be a longer one & nothing has changed, so the Giroux comparable and his path to the NHL is not outrages to believe that is possible.

The difference here is that Giroux was #22 overall in his draft 2006 and was 69 games 39 goals 64 assists 103 points [1.49 PPG] in his draft year and always projected as longer term project due to his size. Marner was taken #4 overall and coming off a 63 game 44 goal 82 assists 126 point [2.0 ppg] in his draft year.

However Marner was drafted much higher and produced much better than Giroux at the same age and time of comparison their draft years. So are expectations that the starting point [the draft] that Marner should be further along in his development and arrival time when comparing a #4 overall to #22 overall?

So are you objecting to the Giroux player comparable or the development path of the comparison?.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
By the looks of things the Leafs will be terrible for a little while and will be collecting more high picks. The benefit of this is Marner will be one of many weapons and not the only one we're counting on. If the 2016 and 2017 picks come in more mature that buys development time too.

mikebel111*

We are really lucky to have an elite prospect or even 2. Marner should have a great season and continue to show he was the right pick

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
By the looks of things the Leafs will be terrible for a little while and will be collecting more high picks. The benefit of this is Marner will be one of many weapons and not the only one we're counting on. If the 2016 and 2017 picks come in more mature that buys development time too.

What? Explain to me how future picks somehow affect Marner's development?

The ideas you guy get in your heads sometimes are just so asinine, It's not even funny.

Marner's development is dependant on no one but himself. He'll be given all the time he needs to develop. It's this idiotic mentality of "he needs to be this good by this time" that results in so many players busting, because fans have it in there head that development is a linear equation that fits all prospects the same.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I always believed that Marner's path to the NHL was going to be a longer one & nothing has changed, so the Giroux comparable and his path to the NHL is not outrages to believe that is possible.

The difference here is that Giroux was #22 overall in his draft 2006 and was 69 games 39 goals 64 assists 103 points [1.49 PPG] in his draft year and always projected as longer term project due to his size. Marner was taken #4 overall and coming off a 63 game 44 goal 82 assists 126 point [2.0 ppg] in his draft year.

However Marner was drafted much higher and produced much better than Giroux at the same age and time of comparison their draft years. So are expectations that the starting point [the draft] that Marner should be further along in his development and arrival time when comparing a #4 overall to #22 overall?

So are you objecting to the Giroux player comparable or the development path of the comparison?.

I object to the idea that Marner is a "project pick" through the comparison, and the attempt to try and use the comparison to try and create some sort of issue to suggest Marner isn't as far along in his development.

Honestly this whole narrative that certain posters are trying to push with Marner is ludicrous.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
I object to the idea that Marner is a "project pick" through the comparison, and the attempt to try and use the comparison to try and create some sort of issue to suggest Marner isn't as far along in his development.

Honestly this whole narrative that certain posters are trying to push with Marner is ludicrous.

Yeah, being sent down to Jr. doesn't automatically make him a "project pick". Especially when most people expected him to go back. Some people are setting the bar high for no reason other than to see Marner fail.

First he was compared to other years first overall picks, now the bar is set at Claude ****ing Giroux. Give me a break.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

The LOLsies started early for me. It was right around the time when I read some posts saying the rebuild might only take 3 years or so because by then, Marner and Nylander would be "elite" centres blah blah blah ...

And of course this made Kadri expendable who would be traded for defensive help where Rielly was a #1D by then ...

I swear this place is awesome. Don't know how I'd make through the work days without it. :laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What? Explain to me how future picks somehow affect Marner's development?

The ideas you guy get in your heads sometimes are just so asinine, It's not even funny.

Marner's development is dependant on no one but himself. He'll be given all the time he needs to develop. It's this idiotic mentality of "he needs to be this good by this time" that results in so many players busting, because fans have it in there head that development is a linear equation that fits all prospects the same.

If the Leafs draft an Auston Matthews who is more NHL ready this shifts the focus away from Marner and allows him to develop at his pace quietly and out of the limelight. Pretty obvious statement and one you shouldn't be flipping out about.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Marner's playing his first game of the season tonight against Windsor.

It'll be interesting to see how he looks at center. I think he needs this year to develop for sure, he didn't look ready in the pre-season.

A big year in London, plus a big WJC from Marner could be fun to watch.

If neither Marner or Nylander graduate this year, we'll have a crazy good prospect pool after the 2016 draft.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If the Leafs draft an Auston Matthews who is more NHL ready this shifts the focus away from Marner and allows him to develop at his pace quietly and out of the limelight. Pretty obvious statement and one you shouldn't be flipping out about.

You mean to say without people like you hanging on every breath he takes? Yeah I guess that could be viewed as a positive thing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad