Who do you take going forward?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Sakic got his name from Quebec, Roy from Montreal, and Bourque from Boston.

I haven't a clue about any home grown player in your market.

If you really cared for the kid, you'd let him make some merch bank and trade him to either New York, Toronto or Montreal.

Montreal could really use him.
Peter Forsberg?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Sakic got his name from Quebec, Roy from Montreal, and Bourque from Boston.

I haven't a clue about any home grown player in your market.

If you really cared for the kid, you'd let him make some merch bank and trade him to either New York, Toronto or Montreal.

Montreal could really use him.

You're just embarrassing yourself now. You should quit while you only look somewhat foolish and elitist.

Peter Forsberg was one of the biggest names of his era.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Mackinnons not on pace for 100 points though, he’s on pace for that Ovechkin/Malkin 111 points. As a poster that has watched the entirety of both careers, Mackinnon just has an extra gear, he just doesn’t play with it consistently. Mackinnon has a higher ceiling, but Matthews is much more consistent night in night out. Mackinnon has already shown this prior to this season. He had the best memorial cup in recent history (13 points in 4 games), was the best player on his World Cup team, and was the best player in the entire first round of the playoffs the one time he made it (as an 18 year old). When he’s feeling it, he can do things that Matthews just can’t. He’s definitely proven himself to be a big game player. As players I’m not sure who I’d take, as Mackinnon is better when they’re both at their best but he needs to prove he can keep it up. Future contracts will also play a huge part in this, as Matthews might make 4-5 million more per season.

Yeah the guy that scored 4 goals in his first game and did something that only 1 other teen has done in the past 30 years just doesn't have that extra gear. He might be a better playmaker and skater, but Matthews is better defensively and a far better goal scorer. Can we give Matthews 5 years in the NHL before we start talking about his ceiling and where his "gears" lie or do we take Mac's best season and compare it to Matthews' injured season where he was nearly ppg, something that Mac didn't sniff in his first 4 years.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Wow this Selke winning Matthews who scored 100pts with over 50g sounds like an amazing player! If only he were real...

Wow, it's almost like when someone makes a post about someone's ceiling and I use it, the numbers aren't the current ones. MIND BLOWING!!!!

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Matthews' 4 goals in his first game isn't particularly relevant to him having an extra gear. That was a great first game, and it will be a moment that people bring up in hockey trivia for a while, but it isn't an example of anything except that he had a great first game.

Edit: Personally, I think MacKinnon will be the better player when it's all said and done. Development isn't a straight line. Players develop at different rates, and they play in different environments that can contribute to that development. Maybe MacKinnon doesn't repeat this season, but I don't think he has to if he's going to stay the better player.

I think MacKinnon's skillset is such that he could end up with multiple 90+ point seasons, and I'm only saying 90+ points because it's so difficult to have multiple 100 point seasons. It's a very short list of players who I think can accomplish that, and MacKinnon happens to be one of them.

Matthews, to me, is more of a 40-35/45-35 guy at his best. He's a great player, but he's a level below MacKinnon.

Last edited:
Reactions: slobbergob and cgf

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah the guy that scored 4 goals in his first game and did something that only 1 other teen has done in the past 30 years just doesn't have that extra gear. He might be a better playmaker and skater, but Matthews is better defensively and a far better goal scorer. Can we give Matthews 5 years in the NHL before we start talking about his ceiling and where his "gears" lie or do we take Mac's best season and compare it to Matthews' injured season where he was nearly ppg, something that Mac didn't sniff in his first 4 years.
I’m not talking about goals or assists, I’m talking about how they play. I’ve watched probably 95% of Mackinnons games and 80% of Matthews games. Mackinnons speed, hands, and power are what I’m referenceing with the extra gear. Mackinnon can make plays that Matthews just can’t make. When he’s on, he’s absolutely Ovechkin/Malkin/Mcdavid level. The guy has had a stretch this year of 71 points in 46 games (Matthews is only on pace for 77 points in a full season this year!) has had 13 points in 4 memorial cup games, and had 10 points in 7 playoff games as an 18 year old rookie in the nhl. When I watch Matthews at his best I don’t see what I see In Mackinnon.

Reactions: cgf

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
so because you chose the side that is winning makes your opinion any more better than mine?
You said Matthews is the better player like a fact. Don't do that next time, it makes you silly and ruins your reputation as a poster.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
You said Matthews is the better player like a fact. Don't do that next time, it makes you silly and ruins your reputation as a poster.

To be fair, he did cover himself from your kind of response by adding "overall" which is really just another way of saying "I think he's better, but I can't prove it."

Or, at least, that's how I read it.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
yah cuz it is. matthews is much better defensively than mackinnon and that makes up for mac being better offensively

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
better offensive player, not defensive or overall

Overall is such a cop-out label.

What if I said the difference offensively is greater than the difference defensively? Then MacKinnon is better overall, because the scale remains heavier on his side.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
yah cuz it is. matthews is much better defensively than mackinnon and that makes up for mac being better offensively
I suggest you stop right here before you embarrass yourself even more. Your reputation as a poster has already taken a big hit.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
because he's having a better season. it doesn't mean he's a better player though.
This is true. The difference between the two this season is quite wide though. Mackinnon is pacing for a whopping 34 additional points than Matthews. This season, the difference in production between Mackinnon and Matthews is the difference in production between Matthews and Marleau.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Overall is such a cop-out label.

What if I said the difference offensively is greater than the difference defensively? Then MacKinnon is better overall, because the scale remains heavier on his side.
then you'd be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad