MacDonald hit on Hornqvist (embellishment pen. to Hornqvist)

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Embellishment is always a slippery slope. I wonder what about the play they felt he embellished.

If it was the flying into the boards, then a lot of times that push on the hip pads can throw people off balance because it basically upends you on your skates.

If it was the bouncing of the boards, I could see that being Hornqvist's effort to protect himself. Take the boards and bounce off so you don't absorb the impact so much.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
He didn’t “fling” his head back, it hit the boards that will change the direction of your head. One arm went straight down to the ice the other arm went up but it’s not trying to sell it. Feel free to slow it down and that’s what you will see.

One of the worst calls I’ve ever seen. Put your head into a wall and you don’t need to fling your head back. The wall will force your neck/head to change position.

Something that could have caused a concussion but the NHL calls it embellishment. What a joke.

Something that could have caused a concussion (Hornqvist elbowing someone in the head) didnt even get a whistle. Not like Hornqvist had endeared himself to the refs after all the dumb **** he did that game

MrBoxOffice

Mar 6, 2008
Kingston/Halifax
Sometimes I wish they called more of just the embellishment penalty instead of offsetting. I think in this case you had to call both, but if they called more of the diving alone it might help.

At full speed this one looks like it's borderline embellishment .

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Horny is by far my favourite of the current penguins. The right call (on Horny) was made and for a fellow penguins fan to say otherwise is embarrassing. That doesn't make Macdonalds penalty less stupid.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I like how the controversy is embellishment when the Macdonald boarded him.

Embellishment or not, it's odd that Hornqvist is coming out like the bad guy. HFBoards for you.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I like how the controversy is embellishment when the Macdonald boarded him.

Embellishment or not, it's odd that Hornqvist is coming out like the bad guy. HFBoards for you.

Not odd at all. This thread is literally packed with videos of Hornqvist playing like a ****ing moron, and those are just the ones from the last week. When it all lines up like that, it's hard to really be worried about whether Hornqvist's head would have been okay considering he's already tried to injure two or three different Flyers' heads as well.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Not odd at all. This thread is literally packed with videos of Hornqvist playing like a ****ing moron, and those are just the ones from the last week. When it all lines up like that, it's hard to really be worried about whether Hornqvist's head would have been okay considering he's already tried to injure two or three different Flyers' heads as well.

Yeah Hornqvist is taking the Neal role in this series I think. Extremely talented player who occasionally loses all control and makes an idiot of himself. Just selfish stuff.

I like his game a lot, and certainly as a Flyers fan I am no stranger to talented players who get frustrated and take dumb penalties. But Hornqvist's frustration plays into the Flyers' hands as long as no one gets hurt.

Last edited:

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Yeah Hornqvist is taking the Neal role in this series I think. Extremely talented player who occasionally loses all control and makes an idiot of himself. Just selfish stuff.

I like his game a lot, and certainly as a Flyers fan I am no stranger to talented players who get frustrated and take dumb penalties. But Hornqvist's frustration plays into the Flyers' hands as long as no one gets hurt.

He isnt just taking the role he has always been like this even in Nashville. He goes over the line at times and plays with an edge while acting like he is the toughest guy on the ice whenever a whistle is blown

Last edited:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He isnt just taking the role he has always been like this even in Nashville guy. He goes over the line at times and plays with an edge while acting like he is the toughest guy on the ice whenever a whistle is blown

I know. I feel like there's certain guys in the Philly/Pittsburgh rivalry who just have to play a certain role, no matter the year. Like Elliott is the new "wild card sieve," for example.

Pikesburgh

May 1, 2016
You have obviously never played a game of hockey :shakehead
Really??? I haven't?! Some imposter must have overtaken my body for the past 20 years. I must have been abducted by aliens and I'm having some sort of outer body experience. Guess you learn new things about yourself every day. I wonder who's in all these videos I have of me playing hockey. Certainly can't be me then if you say I've obviously never played hockey.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
How many times Hornqvist have been suspended yet?

He's a rat, he does stuff to annoy the opposition (especially the goalies) or he embellishes to get calls.
He doesn't get suspended but he's a true pain in the ass, that much is certain.

Should've gotten suspended for his high hit on McAvoy.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
He's a rat, he does stuff to annoy the opposition (especially the goalies) or he embellishes to get calls.
He doesn't get suspended but he's a true pain in the ass, that much is certain.

Should've gotten suspended for his high hit on McAvoy.

If anyone thinks he embellished on that MacDonald, then I don’t know what to say. He certainly plays with an edge but is not as
dirty as Wilson or Dubinsky, not even close..

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
If anyone thinks he embellished on that MacDonald, then I don’t know what to say. He certainly plays with an edge but is not as
dirty as Wilson or Dubinsky, not even close..

Oh yeah he flopped. He threw his arms up in the air after bracing himself against the boards like he got shot from behind.

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
Oh yeah he flopped. He threw his arms up in the air after bracing himself against the boards like he got shot from behind.

He literally got pushed into the boards with little to no chance to protect himself... he could have got seriously injured on that play... this shouldn’t been called embellishment. Just an embarrassing call.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He literally got punched into the boards with little to no chance to protect himself... he could have got seriously injured on that play... this shouldn’t been called embellishment. Just an embarrassing call.

There's definitely a penalty on McDonald for pushing Hornqvist from behind, that's not what I'm arguing. There is no reason for Hornqvist to throw his arms up in the air after he braced himself against the boards. He was making sure the refs were seeing it to draw the penalty. That's embellishment.

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
There's definitely a penalty on McDonald for pushing Hornqvist from behind, that's not what I'm arguing. There is no reason for Hornqvist to throw his arms up in the air after he braced himself against the boards. He was making sure the refs were seeing it to draw the penalty. That's embellishment.

I mean, you can’t embellish a penalty when you get pushed into the boards like MacDonald did. It’s just pure reaction. That is probably the WORST embellishment call of all time, in fact it’s not even close, but it was Hornqvist, that’s why they called it.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I mean, you can’t embellish a penalty when you get pushed into the boards like MacDonald did. It’s just pure reaction. That is probably the WORST embellishment call of all time, in fact it’s not even close, but it was Hornqvist, that’s why they called it.

Usually, dudes go down without throwing their arms up in the air like that. Wasn't a very strong check either from McDonald. Poor acting on this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad