Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That prediction isn't so crazy, we're just dead inside. :laugh:

The Caps were a top team in the East and own the Bruins. They could easily pull out a series against Tampa or Toronto (though I would give the Bolts an edge). And Pittsburgh, well, three consecutive Cup runs? Big question mark there.

They also play Winnipeg well, and are only somewhat at a disadvantage against Nashville.

I want to hear his logic for the Caps beating Tampa.

Just one f***ing time let the Caps pull through. Please.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I want the Caps in 4 or 5 but in reality probably Caps in 6. Shitty part is Caps “lose” in the media’s eye unless they do win in 4/5.
Caps could crush on special teams. NHL refs so who knows how that will work out. Goalies would be the other xfactor. Bob could make it a series or let the Caps sweep.

Gem from the mainboards “Jackets are the second best team in the Metro behind Pens”.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I'll avoid (it's already what I'm trying to do) the main board until we're in the 3rd round.
Then if we go to the ECF, I'll make some posts answering to the haters :naughty: after this, I will wait and return after the end of the SC (hopefully to see haters cry)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Its what I had on the first swing. I am sure you get my point. Would you like it better if I said after the Caps win a dominating g1 they put all the scratched players in and change all the lines?

Filling in scrubs/scratches on a "platoon" of skaters is not the same as rotating two competing, top quality goaltenders.

Even so, a team with "next man up" mentality wouldn't mind any of it. Unfortunately our team gets a "I don't want it you take it" mindset at crunch time because everyone's afraid of being the goat.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Filling in scrubs/scratches on a "platoon" of skaters is not the same as rotating two competing, top quality goaltenders.

Even so, a team with "next man up" mentality wouldn't mind any of it. Unfortunately our team gets a "I don't want it you take it" mindset at crunch time because everyone's afraid of being the goat.

Not really sure what the second graph has to do with the goalies. That said, if you think Trotz should bench a guy after a 38 save shutout in game 1. That's your opinion. Since my percentage of changing your mind with my opinion is 0.00%, I will let it go now.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not really sure what the second graph has to do with the goalies. That said, if you think Trotz should bench a guy after a 38 save shutout in game 1. That's your opinion. Since my percentage of changing your mind with my opinion is 0.00%, I will let it go now.

What are the odds a goaltender puts up a 38 save shutout in the playoffs? What are the odds he does it again in the next game?

Our goalies have played very well when sharing the duties in the latter part of the season. Since everything else has been tried for decades, maybe consider sticking with that formula. That's what I'm saying. You can dismiss and distort it with crap about scratched skaters and 4th liners on the PP because your % of open mindedness is fixed, that's your call. I'm putting it out there for legit consideration, not whatever this is.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
What are the odds a goaltender puts up a 38 save shutout in the playoffs? What are the odds he does it again in the next game?

Our goalies have played very well when sharing the duties in the latter part of the season. Since everything else has been tried for decades, maybe consider sticking with that formula. That's what I'm saying. You can dismiss and distort it with crap about scratched skaters and 4th liners on the PP because your % of open mindedness is fixed, that's your call. I'm putting it out there for legit consideration, not whatever this is.
It's almost like giving Grubauer the majority of the load and trashing this facade of a competition would have been useful for the last two months.

This non-committal crap was always going to be our downfall whether it was our revolving door lineups or that our staff desperately wanted Holtby to regain the starting position and gave him so many opportunities to do so. Trotz has already written the template to his season ending presser, "We didn't have have a good enough idea of what our team looked like with ___________ in it. We had to go with the team we knew."

Reactions: um

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

I missed have Holtby playing well but he posted a .903 save percentage over March and April, that's terrible.

Last edited:

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Let's put it this way. If Holtby played like Grubauer did this season, are we having this conversation? No. Why is it that we're having it the other way around? Because he won a Vezina once? Cool, any of you gents ever hear of a guy named Jim Carey?

Reactions: um

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Let's put it this way. If Holtby played like Grubauer did this season, are we having this conversation? No. Why is it that we're having it the other way around? Because he won a Vezina once? Cool, any of you gents ever hear of a guy named Jim Carey?

Carey was a one season flash in the pan. Holtby is not that. He could have won the Vezina again last season.

Reactions: peterthegreat12

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
The problem with Holtby is when we need a big save from him, we cannot get one from him. This was evident so many times the past 2 years against Pitt. Meanwhile other goalies would pull out big saves from breakways all the time against us. That and he consistently lets in the softest goals known to man

Gruby has been hot. Go with him

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Carey was a one season flash in the pan. Holtby is not that. He could have won the Vezina again last season.
Agreed.

I’ve not been the biggest Holtby supporter but to compare him to Carey is silly. His body of work is much larger already.

That being said, Grubauer deserves the start.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

My point was prior accolades do not dictate future play. That Holtby won a Vezina should not factor into the decision, he did not win a Vezina this season with his play therefore that is irrelevant to the rest of the conversation. Hell, Jim Carey was yanked in the playoffs with a 2-1 series lead the same friggin' season he won the Vezina. The way you play should dictate if you play... that's it.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I was leaning towards Grubauer, but didn't realize until this morning that Holtby started all the games against the Blue Jackets this season.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
it will go down in 7 games with a deciding coin flip goal to win the series and whoever comes out in round2 gets the usual business

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think the idea is that if it takes more than 5 games, it will have been one hell of a physical series and puts the team on the ropes already for round 2.

But maybe not.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My point was prior accolades do not dictate future play. That Holtby won a Vezina should not factor into the decision, he did not win a Vezina this season with his play therefore that is irrelevant to the rest of the conversation. Hell, Jim Carey was yanked in the playoffs with a 2-1 series lead the same friggin' season he won the Vezina. The way you play should dictate if you play... that's it.

A all established track record is going to win out over a short sample size. I don think the Holtby of this season is the new Holtby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad