Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Agreed.

I’ve not been the biggest Holtby supporter but to compare him to Carey is silly. His body of work is much larger already.

That being said, Grubauer deserves the start.

Holtby has not allowed less than 2 goals in a game since Nov 18. He has allowed 2 goals in only 3 of his last 14 starts. With Grubauer carry about the best stats in the league over the second half of the season, I don know how you start Holtby.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Guess the caps have not learned anything about optional practices during the playoffs over the last couple years. Incredible.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
A all established track record is going to win out over a short sample size. I don think the Holtby of this season is the new Holtby.
"Short" sample size is relative. We're not judging him over 5-10 games, he's being judged over an aggregate of the season and last playoffs and compared to someone with the same sample size (excluding last playoffs).

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
The problem with Holtby is when we need a big save from him, we cannot get one from him. This was evident so many times the past 2 years against Pitt. Meanwhile other goalies would pull out big saves from breakways all the time against us. That and he consistently lets in the softest goals known to man

Gruby has been hot. Go with him
More playing devils advocate.. but why arent we bashing the forwards who don't score timely goals.. bury their breakaways... or cause traffic in front of the net.... look at the other goalies around the playoffs.. they all let in soft... untimely goals. EVERY one. the successful teams can just overcome it.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
If it goes over 5 games and we've decided to play meat head hockey and go heavy vs. heavy we're likely toast with whatever frankenstein team we ice the next round. If it goes over 5 and we're playing fast hockey and not trying to out hit them then I'd feel pretty good about our chances next round.

We're already limping into the playoffs with several guys who seem to be held together by spit and wishes, we'd be moronic to try and go in and bang with CBJ..... so look for the gameplan to be us going in and trying to bang with CBJ.

Reactions: Blades of Steel

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
More playing devils advocate.. but why arent we bashing the forwards who don't score timely goals.. bury their breakaways... or cause traffic in front of the net.... look at the other goalies around the playoffs.. they all let in soft... untimely goals. EVERY one. the successful teams can just overcome it.
Because while the forwards shouldn't be given a pass on their mistakes, every successful playoff team has a goalie that is able to overcome that and steal a game here and there.

Last playoffs Holtby was exactly what you described, he was fine, he made most of the saves he should have but he stole nothing. He could never bail out the team when they flubbed up. That's good enough for a game 7 exit in the second round, that won't get you further. In previous years he was not that guy, he was typically good to bail out the team with the screwed up. Every team will make errors, the successful ones are the ones that have guys who pick up the slack when that happens.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Talk about pressure on the starting goalie. Whoever starts in goal for G1 will be on an extremely short leash.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I wouldn't rush Beagle. I don't think he's essential for success, I also would see how the series plays out before rushing him back for his faceoff specialty.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Talk about pressure on the starting goalie. Whoever starts in goal for G1 will be on an extremely short leash.
Great goalies live for that moment.

A great goalie will look at it as an opportunity to finally seize G1 once and for all. A mediocre goalie will look at it as just that, an opportunity with a short leash where the slightest mistake ruins him.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't really care what type of gamesmanship Trotz ends up doing to Columbus with his starting goaltender decision as long as it's Grubauer starting Game 1.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Guess the caps have not learned anything about optional practices during the playoffs over the last couple years. Incredible.
I really suggest you go an watch one of these "optional" practices if you think it's anything that's going to a make or break the team. It's a glorified skate around with some light drills. I trust that if guys feel there time is better spent rehabbing or watching film they're right.

Just because they're not on the ice does not mean they're at home, they still have to show up.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
In the end being a life long fan has taught me one thing, I know nothing about hockey when it comes to the playoffs. Spinning our wheels with statistical analysis that predicts the outcome of each series is such a waste of time, I have a decade of hockey to show you if you think any of that twitter analytics means a thing.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland