Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Some eye opening stuff in there.

Basically confirms what most of us see with our eyes, Caps win because they out-talent the other team but once the playoff starts they simply don't play a style that is conducive to playoff success.

I have stayed away from advanced stats this season, but my god going through some of them today now that the season is over, the Capitals numbers are really really bad.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I get @Langway ‘s point about giving Holtby the net to start because it might be an issue bringing him off the bench, but I think the Capitals need to plan on Grubauer going against Pittsburgh in all likelihood in Round 2. Holtby has been just awful against Pittsburgh and no matter how well he plays against the Jackets he still is going to have the Penguins demons that Grubauer simply doesn’t have.

Also, Grubauer’s numbers and performance are head and shoulders above Holtby’s this season, his career numbers are literally the best in the NHL since his arrival, and he’s been the guy down the stretch. Stylistically maybe Grubauer doesn’t look like a standard economy of movement goaltender but neither were guys like Tim Thomas and Dominek Hasek who were dominant goaltenders.

Give Grubauer the start and if needed go to Holtby. The Capitals need to keep Grubauer warm going into a series against Pittsburgh and if he burns out then go to Holtby.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
OK so let's experiment in the playoffs when we don't have to. I'd rather go with the more experienced guy. I don't care about development at this point in the season. I want the lineup that gives us the best chance to win. Development is for the regular season.
You will be one of these guys crying for Vrana and Gersich to get a lot of playing time in the playoffs too.
Experimenting when we don't have to is giving Holtby Game 1 and then wondering which Holtby will show up. You, like Trotz, have your arrogant dinosaur favorites and you'll spite yourself time and time again to adhere to these convictions.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Experimenting when we don't have to is giving Holtby Game 1 and then wondering which Holtby will show up. You, like Trotz, have your arrogant dinosaur favorites and you'll spite yourself time and time again to adhere to these convictions.
It is experimenting. Grubauer has virtually no playoff experience. Sorry but I trust Holtby more than Grubauer in big games. Grubauer has played so few big games.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It is experimenting. Grubauer has virtually no playoff experience. Sorry but I trust Holtby more than Grubauer in big games. Grubauer has played so few big games.

He never will if you don't give him the ones he's earned, Barry. Tired old fools ruled by fear, the both of you.

Reactions: um

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe just keep alternating them unless one guy really craps out.
That's kind of unprecedented (?), though. I do get the consideration that Grubauer may stand a better chance against Pittsburgh but they can't really afford to look past Columbus either. Starting Grubauer throughout may be the right call if he can carry the crown but there are some technical issues I'd be concerned about in terms of rebound control in light of their net area defense in general. There's some concern with both goaltenders managing to navigate around traffic as well so I don't know that the position is quite the strength they may believe it to be. We'll see.

I think the team in front of them has a lot to clean up in order to prove to everyone that they shouldn't be overlooked. Knowing Trotz, though, he's preparing and expecting a long series of Gentlemanly Ups & Downs and yet is somehow befuddled when there's a lack of killer instinct. If they truly have this chip on their shoulder, everyone-is-against-us type mentality then...prove it. Prove people wrong. I have my doubts about a fair portion of the roster doing everything it takes to win with that level of resolve and mental focus and part of that is needing more than structure to be successful. I expect a physical series early on in particular but their decision-making and skilled urgency need to be right there along with it or else it'll just be a lot of kind of aimless running around.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
I dont know man. I dont trust holtby for one second in big games. Sick of the flukey untimely goals that deflate the team. Sick of other goalies outplaying him year after year im every series besides the boston one. Look and murray in pitts. Did he have experience. He does now with two cups in two years. They should give the job to gruby. He has earned it.

Reactions: um

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

Holtby's last 3 series have been his worst. He was the primary reason they lost to Pittsburgh last year, bad against Toronto, and ordinary at best against Pittsburgh the year prior.

Grubauer rescued the team and carried them to the division title.

It would be foolish to go back to Holtby.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I dont know man. I dont trust holtby for one second in big games. Sick of the flukey untimely goals that deflate the team. Sick of other goalies outplaying him year after year im every series besides the boston one. Look and murray in pitts. Did he have experience. He does now with two cups in two years. They should give the job to gruby. He has earned it.
Actually Holtby has had a lot of flukey goals go in against him in big games. Like I said we will see what happens. I'm worried about our goaltending going into the playoffs. Maybe Grubauer is the right choice.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
If the Caps don't get the home ice, I think Gruby starts. But it will be Holtby.

For Trotz and for us too it will be a little bit easier to swallow if it's Holtby that lose the series than if it's Gruby.
You put Gruby in and he lose 1 or 2 games (and if the Caps are eliminated). Everybody will blame Trotz for not putting his Vezina winner and 2nd all time highest SV% goalie in the history of playoffs, on the ice

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
My liver hates this time of year.

giphy.gif

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
When was the last true platoon used in a playoff series? I can’t recall. It’s basically unheard of IMO.

Series hasn’t even started and we’re already grasping at straws?

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
They gotta go all out this year because why not? They looked like utter garbage in the beginning of the year getting blown out by randoms like Vancouver and Colorado. But they pulled themselves up and here we are!

Roll with Grubi. Put in a Gersich! Where is Axel? Unleash Wilson. Make Djoos a forward. Whatever. :dm:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Underrated factor: Taylor Chorney giving away all of their dirty little secrets.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You know that's not even close to the same thing.

Its what I had on the first swing. I am sure you get my point. Would you like it better if I said after the Caps win a dominating g1 they put all the scratched players in and change all the lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille