Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
official schedule now

Washington Capitals (M1) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (WC1)

Thursday, April 12, 7:30pm:
Blue Jackets @ Capitals
Sunday, April 15, 7:30pm: Blue Jackets @ Capitals
Tuesday, April 17, 7:30pm: Capitals @ Blue Jackets
Thursday, April 19, 7:30pm: Capitals @ Blue Jackets
*Saturday, April 21, TBD: Blue Jackets @ Capitals
*Monday, April 23, TBD: Capitals @ Blue Jackets
*Wednesday, April 25, TBD: Blue Jackets @ Capitals

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The only reason we'd give the stick to Holtby is out of some misplaced sense of loyalty or some even worse sense of buyers remorse.

Grubauer has been the man since September. Even when the defense and team in front of him was garbage he put together some amazing games. Holtby has looked better, but he's still a stratosphere beneath Grubauer right now. In the last month Grubauer has made saves that are the type you need to steal a series.

He is the guy, anyone saying he isn't is just trying to feel better about that Holtby sweater in their closet.

I don't know why we're pretending it's close, it's not.

Last edited:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
So I know Holtby has been trash for a few months now, but this idea that he's been bad since last April is ridiculous. Do people really not remember him carrying this team to start the year? They were only in a lot of games because he was putting a hurt on everyone when we were hemorging high danger scoring chances like it was going out of business.

I don't have faith in Holtby, I think Grubauer has just been flat out better, but I am really interested in that point about starting Grubby and him shitting the bed. Realistically if that happens it's all over anyway, but maybe Holtby responds to the added pressure. He's always been a pressure tender in my mind, it's just a question of whether he can find that edge again.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
If the Caps don't get the home ice, I think Gruby starts. But it will be Holtby.

For Trotz and for us too it will be a little bit easier to swallow if it's Holtby that lose the series than if it's Gruby.
You put Gruby in and he lose 1 or 2 games (and if the Caps are eliminated). Everybody will blame Trotz for not putting his Vezina winner and 2nd all time highest SV% goalie in the history of playoffs, on the ice

Bull shit it will be easier to swallow. It'll maybe be easier to swallow for the fans who tune in every spring, for the rest of us that just sat through 82 games it will be like watching someone intentionally run into traffic and then act shocked when they get crushed by a series of cars.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Really? To me, it looks like the bottom-6 is more mediocre/unstable and the defense is worse (-Schmidt and less depth).
In what respect is this team better? The only thing that comes do mind is Wilson, and with him hopefully a more consistent top-6.
What else... young guys (Vrana & Gersich, perhaps Stephenson) that have an outside chance of making a difference if a brick falls on Trotz's head... maybe Grubauer can exceed expectations...
Now, I think this is of course still a pretty good team, and will have a decent chance as a non-favorite. Maybe if last year they had a 45% chance of beating Pens, this year it will be 35%, something like this.
But I have a hard time seeing the argument of why their chances are better than in the last couple of years.

I will just paste what I wrote in the Trotz thread. As I stated...I like them better. Read = I personally think they have a better chance to go farther. (And add to it, that the Pens are certainly worse than the last 2years)

“I like this team better than the previous 3. The youth and speed will make them unpredictable (assuming we get to see it). I think the Caps had too much predictability to them the last 2 years with their rosters. No one really brought anything “different” to the team. By “different”, I mean guys like Vrana, Chiasson, Gersich, Stephenson, Jerabek, Kempny, Djoos. All guys that can change a game from a lower level position than the guys before them.

Wilson , Orlov, Carlson, Grubauer (and Kuznetsov) are all much better. We didn’t have those elements either. No one filled those roles as well.

Backstrom, Ovechkin, Oshie, Niskanen, Orpik are all basically the same.

Burakovsky, Beagle and Holtby are all worse.

I think it makes for a better playoff team....assuming the goaltending holds up”

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
the wild who are missing their #1 defender among others are favorites?
Yeah, I don't get his model's love for MIN or how BOS is a 'dog. It has BOS/TOR as the second closest series but...doubtful. I do like LA's chances and will of course be rooting for them. IMO that California series will be closer also.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
That prediction isn't so crazy, we're just dead inside. :laugh:

The Caps were a top team in the East and own the Bruins. They could easily pull out a series against Tampa or Toronto (though I would give the Bolts an edge). And Pittsburgh, well, three consecutive Cup runs? Big question mark there.

They also play Winnipeg well, and are only somewhat at a disadvantage against Nashville.

I want to hear his logic for the Caps beating Tampa.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
If the Caps don't get the home ice, I think Gruby starts. But it will be Holtby.

For Trotz and for us too it will be a little bit easier to swallow if it's Holtby that lose the series than if it's Gruby.
You put Gruby in and he lose 1 or 2 games (and if the Caps are eliminated). Everybody will blame Trotz for not putting his Vezina winner and 2nd all time highest SV% goalie in the history of playoffs, on the ice

Wrong. That’s what casual/fairweather fans and empty talking heads will say. Because that means they haven’t really been paying attention like most of the people on these boards.

I’ll go on record right now and so will a lot of others:

I won’t fault Trotz if he starts Grubauer and he plays like garbage Game 1. He deserves the damned nod...

The outcome of this series and potentially beyond is laying at Trotz’ feet, however. If we get good results it’s been a long time coming, if we get bad results it’s been a long time coming. It’s up to him to corrrectly diagnose what needs to be done on the fly and in the multiple specific instances that will sprout up over the coming weeks and, hopefully, months. If he starts Holtby or Grubauer or DSP or Gersich or whoever, he needs results. Results are what matter this time of year so...

...just f’n win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese