Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Goal Net

Tank Brigadier
Feb 13, 2010
It's a win four, potentially seven-game series. I'm all for starting Gruby. If he doesn't have it in G1, it's not the end of the world. Caps have to win 4 of 6. Better to ride the hot 'tender going in, and switch if necessary. Coaches will be able to identify whether he's on.

If Trotz decides to start Holtby, I'm hoping he doesn't give up a softy early. Caps fans - and many of the players - have seen too much of that over both the recent and distant pasts. Shades of post-Vezina Kolzig.

Empty Goal Net

Tank Brigadier
Feb 13, 2010
The Washington Capitals’ first-round series against the Columbus Blue Jackets will start on Thursday with the second game to be played on Sunday. Start times for Games 2 and 3 will be set after Sunday’s game between the Boston Bruins and the Florida Panthers, which will determine if Boston or Tampa Bay wins the Atlantic Division.

Capitals-Blue Jackets first-round series to start on Thursday [Wapo]

There's a full schedule on NHL.com (Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round Schedule Scenarios)

If TBL wins Atlantic:
Washington Capitals (M1) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (WC1)

Thursday, April 12, 7:30pm:
Blue Jackets @ Capitals
Sunday, April 15, 7:30pm: Blue Jackets @ Capitals
Tuesday, April 17, 7:30pm: Capitals @ Blue Jackets
Thursday, April 19, 7:30pm: Capitals @ Blue Jackets
*Saturday, April 21, TBD: Blue Jackets @ Capitals
*Monday, April 23, TBD: Capitals @ Blue Jackets
*Wednesday, April 25, TBD: Blue Jackets @ Capitals

If Bsn wins, basically same dates, but with G2 & G3 start times of 3p & 7p, respectively.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Hey guys, Jackets fan here. Looking forward to having a series with the Caps. Both teams are good and both teams have issues. It's amazing that Holtby and Bob could be seen as weak points and yet here we are.

However the series turns out I will not miss the Pens fans posts about how the Jackets are dirty because they don't have the skill to play with the Pens. And how nobody likes the Pens because they are so good and fans like Ovechkin because he has never won anything. Couldn't be further from the truth. I don't respect Crosby because he is a whiner. I respect Ovi because he plays hard and right to the edge.

Here's to a tough entertaining series.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Hey guys, Jackets fan here. Looking forward to having a series with the Caps. Both teams are good and both teams have issues. It's amazing that Holtby and Bob could be seen as weak points and yet here we are.

However the series turns out I will not miss the Pens fans posts about how the Jackets are dirty because they don't have the skill to play with the Pens. And how nobody likes the Pens because they are so good and fans like Ovechkin because he has never won anything. Couldn't be further from the truth. I don't respect Crosby because he is a whiner. I respect Ovi because he plays hard and right to the edge.

I am sure there will be some animosity after the series is done on both sides. However, I don’t mind CBus and I can certainly sympathize with them in regards to spoiled, obnoxious Pens fans.

Hoping for a good, hard fought series with no injuries. May the most deserving team win, whichever team that is. :)

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
This is such bunk. Caps have as good a chance as ever to go far. In some ways, I like this team better than the previous 3.

Really? To me, it looks like the bottom-6 is more mediocre/unstable and the defense is worse (-Schmidt and less depth).
In what respect is this team better? The only thing that comes do mind is Wilson, and with him hopefully a more consistent top-6.
What else... young guys (Vrana & Gersich, perhaps Stephenson) that have an outside chance of making a difference if a brick falls on Trotz's head... maybe Grubauer can exceed expectations...
Now, I think this is of course still a pretty good team, and will have a decent chance as a non-favorite. Maybe if last year they had a 45% chance of beating Pens, this year it will be 35%, something like this.
But I have a hard time seeing the argument of why their chances are better than in the last couple of years.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
7:30??? 30?? Really nhl
**** you nhl.
After midnight. Every minutes are important. Will go to bed after 4 am. Wonderful.
I hope they'll win the series at least.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
This isn't about giving a player the chance to get better. Its about what gives us the best opportunity to win. This is the playoffs.
Starting Holtby is probably the safer play but I think it gives us the best chance to win. Just my opinion. Like I said maybe Grubauer is the better option.

You're either willfully ignorant or latching on to the worst possible versions of other people's words. Grubauer has had little chance to show anyone what his ceiling is, in terms of elevating his game in the playoffs. The only way he will ever get to do that is if given a chance he has earned, like he has this year. You need to be given a chance in order to be spectacular. Holtby should know that as well as anyone else considering how he got his start.

We're not talking about sacrificing a chance to win for ****ing player development here, but we're absolutely talking about a chance to ruin player development and playoff hopes all in one go.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

We are united in our hate for the Pens. Whoever wins this series must take out the Pens if they get past the Flyers. I promise I'll root for CBJ if you beat us but you beat the Pens as well.

Cheers.

Reactions: CarolinaBlueJacket

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
chances may be better this year.... top players playing well. Goalie change vet D added, young fast forwards added - overall decent health. Power down the middle.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

You're either willfully ignorant or latching on to the worst possible versions of other people's words. Grubauer has had little chance to show anyone what his ceiling is, in terms of elevating his game in the playoffs. The only way he will ever get to do that is if given a chance he has earned, like he has this year. You need to be given a chance in order to be spectacular. Holtby should know that as well as anyone else considering how he got his start.

We're not talking about sacrificing a chance to win for ****ing player development here, but we're absolutely talking about a chance to ruin player development and playoff hopes all in one go.
OK so let's experiment in the playoffs when we don't have to. I'd rather go with the more experienced guy. I don't care about development at this point in the season. I want the lineup that gives us the best chance to win. Development is for the regular season.
You will be one of these guys crying for Vrana and Gersich to get a lot of playing time in the playoffs too.

Empty Goal Net

Tank Brigadier
Feb 13, 2010
7:30??? 30?? Really nhl
**** you nhl.
After midnight. Every minutes are important. Will go to bed after 4 am. Wonderful.
I hope they'll win the series at least.

I experienced the same while in Europe at the beginning of this season. The Caps had one afternoon game that I was able to listen to in its entirety. Root for the Bruins to win tonight, and you will have a game on Sunday at 9 your time (depending on when your clocks change for DST).

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Nothing.

Wizards will probably have their two home games of the 1st round early next week so they have to make sure there's the right room for a potential game 5 at COA. (That acronym just looks weird)
Would not be surprised if the Wiz get swept with how they've played recently, would certainly benefit the ice conditions though.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
How did I not see Langway's point of view before? If Grubs starts and is bad, they go to Holtby and he is mentally fragile because he lost his net then the Caps are screwed. They can't put that genie back in the bottle.

Trotz starts Holtby game one, he sucks, they go to Grubs and Holtby has to feel like it is on him.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
How did I not see Langway's point of view before? If Grubs starts and is bad, they go to Holtby and he is mentally fragile because he lost his net then the Caps are screwed. They can't put that genie back in the bottle.

Trotz starts Holtby game one, he sucks, they go to Grubs and Holtby has to feel like it is on him.

I rather not lose game 1 just to prove a point

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I experienced the same while in Europe at the beginning of this season. The Caps had one afternoon game that I was able to listen to in its entirety. Root for the Bruins to win tonight, and you will have a game on Sunday at 9 your time (depending on when your clocks change for DST).

A 9 pm Sunday game is wonderful.
Rooting for the Bs tonight

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Holtby still looks shaky even in the few games were he allowed fewer than 3 goals.

Going back to Feb 11 Holtby has 14 starts. 3 of those were 2 goals against games. None were less than 2. The last time he gave up 1 goal or less was November 18th. So....

Reactions: um
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->