LW/RW Denis Gurianov (2015, 12th, DAL)

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Guryanov is the Buchnevic of this year. hell put up points in the KHL next year imo.

He isnt a good, but both are big(6'2") and great skaters with good shots.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Some videos featuring Guryanov:

U18 WJC goals:

A judo-style sweep to take down Artyom Moskalyov (who is 2 years older and 15 pounds bigger than Guryanov) in MHL game against Tolpar (video is mirrored, Guryanov is the one in the blue jersey):

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Some videos featuring Guryanov:

U18 WJC goals:

A judo-style sweep to take down Artyom Moskalyov (who is 2 years older and 15 pounds bigger than Guryanov) in MHL game against Tolpar (video is mirrored, Guryanov is the one in the blue jersey):

Lol, nice throw. He should go to wrestling, if his hockey career fails.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
He’s usually the most skilled player on the ice at any given time. Guryanov has an excellent shot and release; he’s most certainly a natural goal scorer who is very clever around the net. His release is lightning quick and can also fire off a pretty wicked backhander off the rush. Guryanov is also super competitive and plays with a strong desire to win and be the best. He uses his powerful leg drive and upper body strength to deliver solid body checks, but he can also dominate a cycle by protecting the puck with a long reach and sound positioning.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/denis-guryanov/

"Russian Factor" is BS. Just be patient. Rangers missed out on Tarasenko because of it. McIlrath still can't crack the lineup.

If his last name ended in "...chuk" and he as from North America he'd be a top-10 pick. Skill-wise few compare.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Often we hear that the Russian factor is greater for players in Russia compared to those that come to NA for junior but I think it should be the other way around. I think that a player in Russia can benefit by being closer to family, friends and their culture while they grow up. They can plan their move to NA with more maturity and clearer expectations. I think a lot of Russians that come over for juniors end up disappointed when their dreams don't unfold as quickly as expected. They second-guess the decision they made and sometimes the lure of a pro-contract at home is enough. Long story short.... I think Guryanov will have a good NHL career.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
whats not to like about him? he honestly doesnt have any weaknesses

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1910233&highlight=

Denis Guryanov (W, 6'2"/187lbs; KHL: 0+1 in 8 GP, MHL: 15+10 in 23 GP, MHL PO: 3+1 in 4 GP, U18 WJC: 6+1 in 5 GP)
A real athlete: skating, shot, body fitness, finishing - he got that all. To understand this better, let's remember that last summer he had absolutely no problems going through Lada KHL team's training camp - and he just turned 17 at that time. Actually I just caught myself thinking that Guryanov is so naturally gifted that he could succeed at any other sport if he wouldn't have played hockey. I still think he is a risky prospect though - he often looks too selfish, makes doubtful decisions, not too consistent and also looks like he is not very fond of fighting for the puck (we should give credit to Mikhail Vorobyov for carrying a lot of workload for Guryanov at U18). Also there is a thought that he will not be that dominating after a couple of years, since he will lose that physical superiority that he has now over players his age. With all that being said, I think he can become a really powerful offensive weapon if utilized properly.
Draft-day: although most of rankings have him in the first round and while there are couple of teams in the late first that just badly need a high ceiling addition to winger prospect pool, I wouldn't be too surprised if he falls into an early second.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
consensus late first at least? before this tournament?

the only place where I've seen him in the first round so far is HockeyProspect.com (since January I think), at 27th.

Maybe I missed some rankings, but in all the other ones I've been going through in the past months I've seen him in the 50s - 80s range.

I guess that will change after this tournament.

:handclap:

Yeah, I just checked to make sure, it was January we bumped him up to #26. We only had one more public list in February before bumping him up some more (#16th) on our final list.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Actually I think this description sounded harsher than it should - the main point was that I think he might have difficulties when transferring his game to pro level.

I think it's nice to read an actual criticism, rather than the transparent gloss we tend to get from most media reports.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
i havent seen any issues with his competitiveness in his international matches, from what i saw him and Kaprizov had the best compete level.

It's not about compete level, definitely no visible issues there, he always plays with the passion. It's more about his style of play, for example, it looks to me that he often prefers to rely more on his athleticism and not on his linemates, which works for him at the junior level, but obviously won't work anymore at the pro level.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Interview (in Russian) with Guryanov: link

Main points:

• Guryanov will attend the draft ceremony and hopes to be drafted as high as possible
  • 27 out of 30 teams interviewed him at the combine
  • Thinks he should establish himself at KHL first before going to NHL
  • His English is bad, but he hired a teacher

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site

Main points:

• Guryanov will attend the draft ceremony and hopes to be drafted as high as possible
good to know, I think that is a key step for him to then succeed at the NHL level.

Is he still under contract with Lada? and for how long?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Main points:

I love seeing this.

I really want this guy. The 2-4 year wait will be well worth it. I'd be so happy if the Sens took him at 18.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad