LW/RW Denis Gurianov (2015, 12th, DAL)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
that's a good comparison. why would they waste a second round pick on someone who plays in the khl and has no intentions of coming over (in the near future/ and god knows what happens in three-four years)? he'll go in the third round, book it.

Pretty fruitless to speculate on what teams will do. It really just takes one team (such as Tampa) to make a decision on a player and take him at a particular point.

Very common for posters to totalize draft decisions in a way that makes things seem as if they occur by virtue of a shared consensus, which is far from the case. Teams do things unforeseen by other teams.

As I have said, someone might look at the Bunchnevich draft and take note of the fact that Pavel went in the third round, after the inferior Zykov, because of the lack of commitment. Or maybe not.

To be so confident that history merely repeats itself is more arrogance than logic.

dsg89

Mar 24, 2009
So... how high does he climb into the top 30 now that he is dominating the u18 tournament?

I have seen him play now three times at the u18 and he is clearly the most dominant Russian. Brings quite a good package and has an awesome shot

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Denis Guryanov

Going to get my first chance to see him.play...the Russia-Switzerland quarterfinal is being shown on TSN.. Craig Button who gas Guryanov at a laughable #70 on his list when most consensus said at least late first...before the game just said Guryanov at 17 played against men this season in the Russian 2nd league and could be ready to play right away in the nhl next season..Thus the only reason he could have him as low as 70 is because of the so called "Russian factor"...but now before this game he just said you use that at your peril if you discount the Russian talent because of that..So Button is either a bandwagon guy or he is schizoid..Now he is praising Guryanov for his size physicality and great Shor. .Well you cannot have all that and be ranked #70..So Button is covering his behind realizing he made a terrible mistake
..Maybe Guryanov should be #7 not #70 ...I think he will be off the board in the first 15 picks. The size the skating the talent the shot and a good 200 foot player...too much there not to be a top 25 pick.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Over-rated. He's no Lawson Crouse. A Top 5 talent in this draft who could barely get point per game in the ohl. :sarcasm:

:laugh:

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Going to get my first chance to see him.play...the Russia-Switzerland quarterfinal is being shown on TSN.. Craig Button who gas Guryanov at a laughable #70 on his list when most consensus said at least late first...
consensus late first at least? before this tournament?

the only place where I've seen him in the first round so far is HockeyProspect.com (since January I think), at 27th.

Maybe I missed some rankings, but in all the other ones I've been going through in the past months I've seen him in the 50s - 80s range.

I guess that will change after this tournament.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I wonder if a team like Tampa takes this guy late in the 1st. Definitely seems like a 1st round talent but I guess there are concerns about him playing in the KHL. Tampa doesn't seem to worry too much about that stuff though and rather just go BPA.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Kyle Woodlief was on the local Oilers radio show and said that he has Guryanov as #8 on his list. Said he easily has top-10 talent and the only thing holding him back is the 'Russian factor'.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
His skill was evident from the beginning, best Russian forward in this draft and a definite top 10 talent, some team will be getting themselves a steal picking him outside of the top 10.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
His skill was evident from the beginning, best Russian forward in this draft and a definite top 10 talent, some team will be getting themselves a steal picking him outside of the top 10.

Seems a bit bold? I don't watch the KHL so I wouldn't know but there is a lot of talent in the top 10. Still think teams are stupid though for passing on skilled players just for the russian factor. Look at Tarasenko, Nichushkin, Kuznetsov, Buchnevich

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Seems a bit bold? I don't watch the KHL so I wouldn't know but there is a lot of talent in the top 10. Still think teams are stupid though for passing on skilled players just for the russian factor. Look at Tarasenko, Nichushkin, Kuznetsov, Buchnevich

Legitimate size and offensive tools put him easily in the top half of the draft, check out his goal at 0:45 to see his hands at work. https://vimeo.com/125394620

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Legitimate size and offensive tools put him easily in the top half of the draft, check out his goal at 0:45 to see his hands at work. https://vimeo.com/125394620

Yeah I could definitely see top half but I was just a bit skeptical on top 10. Buchnevich was in a similar situation in 2013 (Dropped cause of Russian factor) and I don't think he cracks top 10 for his draft year either. How does he compare to Buch?

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Is the Russian factor a legitimate concern with him? Or is it simply based on his passport?

He's one of the prospects I like at the Leafs second 1st rounder. Granted I haven't seen that much of him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah I could definitely see top half but I was just a bit skeptical on top 10. Buchnevich was in a similar situation in 2013 (Dropped cause of Russian factor) and I don't think he cracks top 10 for his draft year either. How does he compare to Buch?

If we are doing a re-draft of the 2013 NHL Draft, I think he cracks the top 10-15. The first 7 or 8 are clear, but after that, it seems like a matter of personal opinion. After that first 7 or 8, its a bunch of very good prospects who haven't played yet in the NHL and are performing well elsewhere and a bunch of players who have played in the NHL, but haven't yet doing anything too great in the league.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

He won't go top 10 because of his Nationality but his talent is top 10. I prefer him over Meier, Crouse and Rantanen personally. Probably doesn't go first round though except for a team without concerns about him playing in Russia ( i.e Tampa ). Compared to Buchnevich from what I've seen Guryanov pushes the pace more than Buch who is more cerebral and plays more of a thinking game as well as a grittier game. Buch also frequently lines up at Center.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
If we are doing a re-draft of the 2013 NHL Draft, I think he cracks the top 10-15. The first 7 or 8 are clear, but after that, it seems like a matter of personal opinion. After that first 7 or 8, its a bunch of very good prospects who haven't played yet in the NHL and are performing well elsewhere and a bunch of players who have played in the NHL, but haven't yet doing anything too great in the league.

He have proven zero things until now, let's wait and see what he does when/IF he comes to play in the nhl

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He have proven zero things until now, let's wait and see what he does when/IF he comes to play in the nhl

He's proven to be a very good player, whether or not he plays in the NHL. The numbers he put up in the KHL as a 19 year old have not been matched by many in the history of the KHL at that age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad