LW/RW Denis Gurianov (2015, 12th, DAL)

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
What did Nichushkin do besides ride shotgun with Benn/Seguin and collect a measly 35 points?
You can only know if you watched him play back than instead of playing with playmobil.

He had a very good rookie season, something everyone should remember.

I always get a bit tired of people who try to minimize things because the player is:

a) not part of the organisation anymore.
b) was eventually a bust for this particular team.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
You can only know if you watched him play back than instead of playing with playmobil.

I always get a bit tired of people who try to minimize things because the player is:

We were excited about his rookie season but if you did actually watch it, he generated very little production on his own. He was on track to be a decent complimentary player but not much else.

His hip injuries and demands to to team ended all of that potential. There were numerous red flags that pointed to this.

It is revisionist to look at his rookie season and say he was on track to be a star. He never was.

Gurianov in this season alone has generated more offense by himself than Nichushkin ever did by himself. Most of Gurianov’s 8 goals are plays that he created, and he’s had many more that didn’t go in. I think I can count on two hands the number of scoring chances Nichushkin created in his rookie season.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
We were excited about his rookie season but if you did actually watch it, he generated very little production on his own. He was on track to be a decent complimentary player but not much else.

His hip injuries and demands to to team ended all of that potential. There were numerous red flags that pointed to this.

It is revisionist to look at his rookie season and say he was on track to be a star. He never was.

Gurianov in this season alone has generated more offense by himself than Nichushkin ever did by himself. Most of Gurianov’s 8 goals are plays that he created, and he’s had many more that didn’t go in. I think I can count on two hands the number of scoring chances Nichushkin created in his rookie season.
I responded on the comment that Gurianov have done more than Nichushkin ever did which is very untrue.

This is the stuff you always read after a player busted and a new toy have arrived.

I am a bit baffled why some now suddenly act like Nichushkin was some kind of passenger who was just lucky to score a couple of goals. That’s not what I saw and read back than....here, on social media or other media. It is utter nonsense.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

I remember him overstaying shifts, taking forever to score his first goal, being scared of contact and battles.. I don't have fond memories like I do of let's say Heiskanen or Benns rookie season.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I responded on the comment that Gurianov have done more than Nichushkin ever did which is very untrue.

This is the stuff you always read after a player busted and a new toy have arrived.

I am a bit baffled why some now suddenly act like Nichushkin was some kind of passenger who was just lucky to score a couple of goals. That’s not what I saw and read back than....here, on social media or other media. It is utter nonsense.

I think it’s possible he was being overhyped by media and fans his rookie season. While his rookie season was good, I don’t think anything special, it was a nice jumping off point to improve upon. Which he hasn’t. He had some good spurts of play his rookie year. But like many before him, a few hot streaks during a season was probably an outlier relative to his career.

Just watching them on the ice, Gurianov looks to have worlds more potential than Nic Hushkin, which I am anointing as his English language alias.
Not that Gurianov will be a star or whatever, he can still peak at mediocrity. But his ceiling I think is way higher. His shooting, speed and skating alone are exciting. And I’d say he’s probably a slightly above average playmaker, so assists should come when he gets talented line-mates.

Overall I think he could eventually replace Radulov or whomever on the top line. At worst I think he’s going to be a upper echelon 2nd liner. Big guys, power forwards, usually take longer to develop. He might not really find his game until he’s 24/25 or whatever. Elias Lindholm, Palmieri, Pavelski, Evander Kane, Mantha and even Huberdeau etc.. all reached their potential later than most.

And if he doesn’t, then I think Stars will really be hurting for good forwards in a few seasons. Not sure why they drafted Harley in the first round. Harley is a nice prospect, but he’s a big risk and he’s mostly an offensive D, which I think the Stars have more than enough of. Between their pros and D prospects, Harley just made no sense to me while their were guys like Pelletier, Tomasino and McMichael still available. And I doubt Harley will ever be better than Heiskenen or Klyngberg , whether he reaches his potential or not. They already wasted a pick on Honka, and possibly picked Oettinger too high. Not sure if they needed Oettinger either way, but I guess GK prospects always have Trade value. Hintz was Avery nice surprise, but I doubt his progress was expected by most.
Dellandrea is still a huge unknown and seems to be years away from the NHL. That’s if he ever gets there at all. Maybe Tufte will be good? Either way I think they needed another young forward way more than Harley.

While I think Nic Hushkin will eventually be a solid 3rd or 4th liner.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

If he keeps putting the puck on net like that, he’s going to get a fair amount of points out of it.

More and more impressed by him every game he plays of late. Especially seems to have quite a wicked shot. Hope he starts using his size and speed to play a more physical and gritty game. Combined with his skill, that would make him something of a beast.

5 game point streak now. This could be his breakout season. Staying tuned.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Nearly scores a goal of the year contender right after his goal too. Races past everyone and goes between the legs for a great chance

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
He can look like a star, hope he continues to develop

Yup. Can really see him developing before our eyes. All the skills and potential that made him an earlyish 1st Round Pick and got fans excited are starting to become apparent.

What I think he needs most now is consistent minutes with skilled linemates, to give him confidence, experience and to bring out his best. He needs to remain in the top 6 through ups and downs and not get demoted any time he has a subpar game.

And perhaps most of all, for Gurianov and the rest of the team, the Stars need a legit 2C. Hintz is good, but don’t think he’s a real center. Seems to fit better on the wing. Pavelski is pretty old, still capable, but on the decline. He’s definitely more suited to playing the wing these days and helping out with some center duties and face offs. Benn might actually be their 2nd best Center, but he needs to get going himself this season and probably should stick with Seguin until he gets past this funk. Dickinson has actually looked fairly good. He’s still raw and his offensive game needs work, but he does a little of everything and he’d probably be a very good 3C, or temporary 2C. Although he could very well keep improving and end up a legit C. For their sake, I hope Dellandrea is coming along.

But as far as Gurianov goes, this year is still a learning period and adjustment year. With this experience in the bag, he could come into next season and know what he’s in for. Hopefully he has a great 2nd half and builds his offense up.
Definitely looks like a borderline beast in the making.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yup. Can really see him developing before our eyes. All the skills and potential that made him an earlyish 1st Round Pick and got fans excited are starting to become apparent.

What I think he needs most now is consistent minutes with skilled linemates, to give him confidence, experience and to bring out his best. He needs to remain in the top 6 through ups and downs and not get demoted any time he has a subpar game.

And perhaps most of all, for Gurianov and the rest of the team, the Stars need a legit 2C. Hintz is good, but don’t think he’s a real center. Seems to fit better on the wing. Pavelski is pretty old, still capable, but on the decline. He’s definitely more suited to playing the wing these days and helping out with some center duties and face offs. Benn might actually be their 2nd best Center, but he needs to get going himself this season and probably should stick with Seguin until he gets past this funk. Dickinson has actually looked fairly good. He’s still raw and his offensive game needs work, but he does a little of everything and he’d probably be a very good 3C, or temporary 2C. Although he could very well keep improving and end up a legit C. For their sake, I hope Dellandrea is coming along.

But as far as Gurianov goes, this year is still a learning period and adjustment year. With this experience in the bag, he could come into next season and know what he’s in for. Hopefully he has a great 2nd half and builds his offense up.
Definitely looks like a borderline beast in the making.

Do you think Dellandrea could eventually fill that role?

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Do you think Dellandrea could eventually fill that role?

No clue personally how long it will take for him to debut and if he’l stick at Center long term. But he seems to be developing well.

I’m pretty sure that was the intent when he was drafted and the long term plan. He certainly has that potential and I think has the foundation necessary to achieve such a role.

Up to the end of last season his OHL point totals were relatively modest. Think he’s been somewhere around a PPG his 2nd and 3rd seasons and half point per for his rookie year in the league. Then he looked good in a very short stint with the AHL last season, but did only score 3 points. That’s not unusual of course for a young guy to need adjustment when entering an adult league, playing against a lot of NHL/AHL vets and talent.

But this year in the OHL, think it’s his 4th season, he’s exploded so far with 41 points in 29 games, on his way to crushing his previous league totals. And still just 19 I think.

He’s also done well at WJCs. 5 points in 5 games 2 WJCs ago and 5 points in 7 games this past tourney.

So overall I’d say things look optimistic. It’s always difficult to tell if a kids OHL game will translate to the pros. But improving as he has and nearly doubling his point pace are great signs for his future. I’d say he looks to be at worst mid 6 C, but very possibly will surpass that as a 1C/2C. If I had to guess I’d say 2C is most likely. Never know though.

The way the Stars play and it seems the way much of the NHL are headed might limit his eventual offensive output as it seems to for most of the players within that kind of system. Like Arizona or Nashville. Could kind of see it in how Benn, Radulov and Seguin seem on a down trend as far as point production.

Last edited:

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I remember watching this guy in his draft year, seeing all the incredible tools and just hoping he'd drop to the Habs in the 20s. Really happy to see that he seems to be putting it all together after what could be considered a rough adaptation in North America.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Im glad to see this kid has really turned it around. He had a terrific World Juniors a couple of years ago but he was really struggling in the AHL and as a prospect. Now hes on his way to being a legit scorer in Dallas’ top 6. If he continues in his development he’ll be a nightmare to deal with in his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad