LW/RW Denis Gurianov (2015, 12th, DAL)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Was the talk of the World Junior A Challenge through the first few days. Had scouts buzzing with his skillset and frame. He's 6'2 and can really skate. Wires the puck and has been the driving force behind Russia's offensive attack.

I think on pure talent he's a legit top 30 pick for 2015 but with the Russian factor, and the fact that he's already playing in the KHL, we'll have to see how things play out.

Scouts and NHL teams will definitely be looking closer at this guy following the strong showing at the event.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
I think on pure talent he's a legit top 30 pick for 2015 but with the Russian factor, and the fact that he's already playing in the KHL, we'll have to see how things play out.
So, he's more talented than Trenin?

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Sorry, recently i just read some much times that Trenin is a solid 2nd round pick :).
Btw, what do you think about Trenin?
I believe that Guryanov is obviously a better skater.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Sorry, recently i just read some much times that Trenin is a solid 2nd round pick :).
Btw, what do you think about Trenin?
I believe that Guryanov is obviously a better skater.

Sorry, haven't seen him play live or via video. I tend to avoid commenting on players I haven't seen.

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
Was the talk of the World Junior A Challenge through the first few days. Had scouts buzzing with his skillset and frame. He's 6'2 and can really skate. Wires the puck and has been the driving force behind Russia's offensive attack.

Scouts and NHL teams will definitely be looking closer at this guy following the strong showing at the event.
I agree he is top 30, he will fall in this draft, and whoever grabs him will have a potential steal. I see him being one of the leaders of Russia in future WJC's

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Guryanov has been called up to Lada KHL team again, didn't see the games he has already played, but stats show that he has been very active in his minutes - made some shots and hits, hope that points will come soon too.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Seeing this guy lower in Button's rankings than the likes of Gavrikov is exhibit A that Button has no clue what he's talking about.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
gavrikov-galchenyuk-scherbak

but after this draft there are 20 other lw'sthat could fall there

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
So... how high does he climb into the top 30 now that he is dominating the u18 tournament?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Funny how this thread was started because he had a great display in an international tournament and the very same thing happens now again. That should be a sign of how underrated he is. Probably not many of the big scouting agencies that watch the MHL regularly since only Hockeyprospect has him in their top30. I haven't seen him outside of this tournament so I can't really comment too much on him but maybe he should be a first round pick, perhaps even a high one? To people who have seen him more: What are his weaknesses? What's preventing him from being a high pick? Looking at his numbers he seem to be a deadly scorer. 25 points in 23 MHL games and 15 of them were goals and he's been lighting it up internationally all year it seems...

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Funny how this thread was started because he had a great display in an international tournament and the very same thing happens now again. That should be a sign of how underrated he is. Probably not many of the big scouting agencies that watch the MHL regularly since only Hockeyprospect has him in their top30. I haven't seen him outside of this tournament so I can't really comment too much on him but maybe he should be a first round pick, perhaps even a high one? To people who have seen him more: What are his weaknesses? What's preventing him from being a high pick? Looking at his numbers he seem to be a deadly scorer. 25 points in 23 MHL games and 15 of them were goals and he's been lighting it up internationally all year it seems...

Well, Tarasenko at his age was a solid KHL starter. And he was picked #16. That's the way NHL works.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

I think that what has been preventing him (if we can even assume that anything is preventing him anymore after this showing) is lack of exposure. And I am not talking about lack of exposure to NHL scouts, because those guys have their own idea of what they want to do.

Rather Guryanov has not been seen enough by the commercial scouting services, who have been ranking him conservatively all year.

From my viewings, Guryanov is one of the draft's more explosive scorers. Very fast. I have been a bit concerned about other aspects of his offensive game, such as playmaking and seeing the ice, and whether that will hamper him down the line.

Regardless I think he has made a strong case to go in the first round. Perhaps even top 20? Not many offensive talents like this floating around.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Well, Tarasenko at his age was a solid KHL starter. And he was picked #16. That's the way NHL works.

Good point. Being Russian does not help Guryanov's stock. Another important factor for Guryanov's stock is his seeming disinterest in the CHL. According to the things I have read, he will remain in Russia next season.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Considering Buchnevich was picked in the 3rd, and Guryanov isn't better than Buchnevich was, I expect the same for him. Of course after he will be picked in the 3rd round people start talking about what a steal he is, but he still will be picked in the 3rd..

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Considering Buchnevich was picked in the 3rd, and Guryanov isn't better than Buchnevich was, I expect the same for him. Of course after he will be picked in the 3rd round people start talking about what a steal he is, but he still will be picked in the 3rd..

Guryanov might be better than Buchnevich. He is certainly a better scorer.

I think what happened with Buchnevich and what might happen with Guryanov was the lack of apparent commitment to playing in North America. Zykov made the commitment and was drafted ahead of Buchnevich.

Maybe teams will learn from this?

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
that's a good comparison. why would they waste a second round pick on someone who plays in the khl and has no intentions of coming over (in the near future/ and god knows what happens in three-four years)? he'll go in the third round, book it.
Guryanov might be better than Buchnevich. He is certainly a better scorer.
buch might be better than curyanov (i think he's), he's certainly a better playmaker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad