LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016, 2nd, WPG) XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
This is actually what i've heard as well. Kekalainen is waiting if Puljujarvi will be available and takes him but if it's Laine he will likely trade the pick.
LOL O Rly? and that coming from you isnt surprise at all. I think it will be other way around and Pulju gets only moved if the price is right.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
LOL O Rly? and that coming from you isnt surprise at all. I think it will be other way around and Pulju gets only moved if the price is right.

It's only speculation, only Kekalainen knows the truth but we will see on the draft day.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Who cares how Jarmo thinks about Laine, at 3rd Laine won't be his problem anyway

This Jarmo is not sold Pulju or Laine is just ****. Only thing is that they want another center, but already WJC Kekäläinen was interviewed and he say this draft is 3 real franchise prospect and then will be come big cap, so stop this ****. Of course he wants AM, but it's not realistic and he take Pulju, Kekäläinen is not idiot he really have eyes to talent and now there is 3 real talent.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Translated by myself:

Tappara's head coach on Laine:

"Laine will pretty quickly become an absolute top player in NHL."

"He has already shown that. He is able to score goals, but he also wants to win for his team, he is ready to put effort towards defense. That's what sets him apart from many scoring machines."

"Hopefully, he will end up with coaches who will still demand that of him. He is able to do it if it's demanded of him. And he wants to do it and not only look at the score sheets."

Tappara's captain:

"He is so match-orientated, he's able to save all of his energy for the match. I think that that'll work for him very well when they play so many games."

"If he continues with that gameplay and self-confidence, he'll be able to get into the playing system and get along with the team right from the get go. He'll certainly be an impactful player next season, already."

So about defense... Why does Laine's head coach specifically mention it? Hmph. Guess he doesn't know the player he's personally worked with for several years, right?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
On a very remote chance Laine goes 3rd overall tonight. Here is a list of 3rd overall picks that have gone on to great NHL careers. He's going to be a terrific player where ever he is picked.

1978 Wayne Babych
1979 Mike Foligno
1980 Dennis Savard
1983 Pat Lafontaine
1991 Scott Niedermayer
1999 Henrik Sedin
2000 Marian Gaborik
2002 Jay Bouwmeester
2003 Nathan Horton
2006 Jonathan Toews
2009 Matt Duchene

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I still would hope that he doesn't go #3 because the coaching...

Although one Finnish expert said that Tortorella should like Laine. But even so, not really into him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Laine goes 2nd overall. Here is an impressive list of players that went #2 in the draft.

1980 Dave Babych
1983 Sylvain Turgeon
1984 Kirk Muller
1986 Jimmy Carson
1987 Brendan Shanahan
1988 Trevor Linden
1990 Petr Nedved
1992 Alexei Yashin
1993 Chris Pronger
1997 Patrick Marleau
1999 Daniel Sedin
2000 Dany Heatley
2001 Jason Spezza
2003 Eric Staal
2004 Evgeny Malkin
2008 Drew Doughty
2009 Victor Hedman
2010 Tyler Seguin
2011 Gabriel Landeskog
2013 Aleksander Barkov

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Translated by myself:

Tappara's head coach on Laine:

"Laine will pretty quickly become an absolute top player in NHL."

"He has already shown that. He is able to score goals, but he also wants to win for his team, he is ready to put effort towards defense. That's what sets him apart from many scoring machines."

"Hopefully, he will end up with coaches who will still demand that of him. He is able to do it if it's demanded of him. And he wants to do it and not only look at the score sheets."

Tappara's captain:

"He is so match-orientated, he's able to save all of his energy for the match. I think that that'll work for him very well when they play so many games."

"If he continues with that gameplay and self-confidence, he'll be able to get into the playing system and get along with the team right from the get go. He'll certainly be an impactful player next season, already."

So about defense... Why does Laine's head coach specifically mention it? Hmph. Guess he doesn't know the player he's personally worked with for several years, right?

This doesn't seem good.. To me this means he can play defense when he feels like it. I see him being a liability as he will play defense at first until he becomes comfortable and then cheat to try and score more points. Kind of like what Kessel would do.

A guy you need a coach to hound to play defense is not a Babcock player.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
This doesn't seem good.. To me this means he can play defense when he feels like it. I see him being a liability as he will play defense at first until he becomes comfortable and then cheat to try and score more points. Kind of like what Kessel would do.

You are funny. Somehow Laine has been very keen into the defence for the 100+ games last season. You know, he was the guy that was responsible with the defence in WJC where his linemates Aho and Pulju were playing with much higher risk.

I don't think that he first plays 100+ games very well defensively for 4 different teams with different coaches and line mates (U18, U20, WHC and FEL), and then suddently starts playing like Ovechkin in the next year.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Laine to Oilers.

McDavid + Laine sounds good to me.

That would be a dream come true.

Though I really like the idea that he would be playing with Scheifele for the Jets. Seifele was also high on this idea already.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I'll bet that Laine has better relative corsi stats than Ovechkin next season, especially corsi against.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009

ROFLMAO. Winning player might not have been previously a Leafs type player but I don't believe for a second it wouldn't be a Babcock type player.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
You mean the only 3rd pick on the history of NHL with generational hype?

I don't want laine to CBJ, so hopefully not. I want him to be either #1, #2, #4 or #23.

Hype being the operative word...not in actuality skills wise. Great prospect, maybe/probably the 2nd best in this draft. But not generational..

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
If Laine somehow drops to the Oil/Edmonton trades up to get him god help the league.....

Ah, Gretzky and Kurri again... just that maybe a bit less Gretzky and much better Kurri, so that they would be nearer to equal. Still McDavid > Laine, but you know, it was Gretzky >> Kurri.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Hype being the operative word...not in actuality skills wise. Great prospect, maybe/probably the 2nd best in this draft. But not generational..

I did mean what I wrote. So the hype is generational, and so was his accolades last season. Doesn't make him a generational player. That we can see only later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad