LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016, 2nd, WPG) XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Looking for some middle ground here.

I don't think anyone will disagree that Laine has the upside with reasonable improvement as he gains NHL experience to be the best, most impactful player of this draft. There is not a chance we have yet seen the best Laine has to offer. If this scares some teams that they may miss on him, so be it. But let's not let this cloud our judgment this is a very unique talent.

Keep in mind he did this as a 17-18 year old. He has not even peaked. The skies endless for this kid. One team will be very lucky to draft him.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-13%20at%2010.19.25%20PM_zpsbwtac6yb.png

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I'm so hyped for him, three beers down already.:yo: The most entertaining player in the whole draft and gets to go to a good team, what would be better than that?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
What kind of middle ground are you looking for? This seems like a thinly veiled attempt to get people to side with your point of view. Besides, any reasonable hockey fan would acknowledge that Laine is a great prospect and has the potential to be one of the top goal scorers in the NHL someday. Constantly posting a bunch of junior/international accomplishments that may or may not have any bearing on how he performs in the NHL isn't going to change that or people's minds. What more do you want?

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
Jarmo not sold on Laine?

"Kekalainen reiterated on Thursday that a trade will happen only after Toronto and Winnipeg have made their picks, which indicates that the Blue Jackets aren't exactly smitten with one of the presumed top three picks." - Puckrakers blog

Speculation has been that Jarmo is not sold on Puljujarvi and that is why #3 is said to be available. However, I was just wondering if there is any chance that Jarmo is worried that Winnipeg is going to take Puljujarvi at 2 and it is Laine that he is not sold on.

There are rumblings that Winnipeg actually prefers Puljujarvi. Also, Jarmo mentions psychological testing and even interviewing kindergarten teachers. Laine has had trouble with coaches in the past and is kind of an outspoken personality. The CBJ seem to hate personality and are always on pins and needles when Dubi speaks or when Bob calls out a player (although they did hire Torts). Most chalk his past issues to youth and seem to think he has grown past it and it does sound that way but I just wonder if maybe the CBJ are not sold.

Anyway I have no background on this just pure speculation that maybe it's Laine that Jarmo fears falling to 3 not Puljujarvi. Probably not but...

Thoughts?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What kind of middle ground are you looking for? This seems like a thinly veiled attempt to get people to side with your point of view. Besides, any reasonable hockey fan would acknowledge that Laine is a great prospect and has the potential to be one of the top goal scorers in the NHL someday. Constantly posting a bunch of junior/international accomplishments that may or may not have any bearing on how he performs in the NHL isn't going to change that or people's minds. What more do you want?

Not interesting in achievements? How about seeing how he actually plays?

For starters, watch these from start to finish:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Really? I haven't seen them. Maybe you could point me in the right direction. If any fan, Toronto or not, says anything crazier than that, they deserve to be shredded for it.

There was this one guy who said Jets are gonna go with Pulju and that he saw Tkachuk and Dubois going before Laine. Wasn't a Vancouver guy I think.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How in the world is it considered being veiled (when Infact I am shouting this) in saying posters from both spectrums can atleast recognize Laine has accomplished a whole lot as a 17 year old and just recently turned 18 in the hockey world, and he has not even remotely peaked yet? Perhaps it makes too much common sense to some. But this just speaks to how much upside Laine still has in him when he will inevitably become a more polished player in the NHL. This may scare some as I can not fathom why people would come in here to downplay him as a prospect. Where BTW This is a Laine thread, if you cannot post his accomplishments in his own thread, where do you post them? More noteworthy Laine accomplishments that won him the Kurri award at 17-18.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-16%20at%208.44.47%20AM_zpsiuyojzc0.png

Last edited:

Henchmen 21

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
So you're a) speculating that the consensus #2 falls to #3, and b) that the BJ's don't like him? That's two reaches you've made in one question.

My thoughts are that when a reputable source puts out a question like this, it deserves it's own thread, otherwise...

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
yeah Dubi and Torts especially lack character. As for the Laine vs Pulju debate some of the posters here and some "experts" have been coming around on that too. Maybe Jarmo is scared he is going to have another Johansen issue. I dont think thats the case because Laine wants to be the best but he must be worried about something with his character. Personally ive wanted Pulju all along so I hope things fall into place as predicted

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
How in the world is it considered being veiled (when Infact I am shouting this) in saying posters from both spectrums can atleast recognize Laine has accomplished a whole lot as a 17 year old and just recently turned 18 in the hockey world, and he has not even remotely peaked yet? Perhaps it makes too much common sense to some. But this just speaks to how much upside Laine still has in him when he will inevitably become a more polished player in the NHL. This may scare some as I can not fathom why people would come in here to downplay him as a prospect. Where BTW This is a Laine thread, if you cannot post his accomplishments in his own thread, where do you post them?

Because apparently posting achievements from a prospect that pretty much destroyed every competition on his draft year can be found offending towards to a team and it's fan base that's about to pass up on him? Welcome to HFBoards!

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
People, just stop. He is more sold on Laine than Pulju, but so are many else. And that doesnt mean that Pulju isnt good.

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
If Laine drops to #4.... there wouldn't be enough crow..

Indeed.

However, what I'm wondering is that if Laine drops to 3 then that's the scenario where Jarmo trades the pick as opposed to Puljujarvi dropping to 3.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
How do you know that?
the way he has spoken about Laine and Matthews in finnish media. According to him those two are in league of their own atm. Edit. In the draft. Jesse is still little bit more raw. Auston and Laine are NHL ready.

Last edited:

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
the way he has spoken about Laine and Matthews in finnish media. According to him those two are in league of their own atm.

Perhaps so. The Columbus paper says he won't even comment on either player or even describe their skillsets for fear of tipping his hand on his feelings toward them.

He probably wants Laine and as I said it is just speculation. It is a discussion board.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Jarmo can get to know these guys a lot better than most gms, he can have full on conversations with them and really get to know their personality and character. Even with a translator you might not get the full grasp of what each other is saying or meaning. I think Jarmo knows everyone knows that he has an advantage and is taking full advantage of that. I personally hope we get Puljujärvi. I don't think he's really behind Laine by much if at all. And his character is just the icing on the cake.

But that's also what makes me worried he won't be there at 3. Jarmo is waiting to see what happens before making a deal which is smart. The ball is in Toronto and Winnipegs court.

I wonder if he's got his overpayment and is waiting to see if the player theother team wants falls to him at 3.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
We won't know for sure until after the draft.

He has strongly hinted that he doesn't like one of the Finns.

If Winnipeg takes Laine and Jarmo trades down or selects someone other than Puljujarvi, it means he didn't like Puljujarvi.

If Winnipeg takes Puljujarvi and Jarmo takes Laine, it means he didn't like Puljujarvi.

If Winnipeg takes Laine and Jarmo takes Puljujarvi, it means he didn't like Laine.

If Winnipeg takes Puljujarvi and Jarmo trades down or takes someone else, he didn't like Laine.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not Laine. But Puljujarvi.

I pointed this out months ago that I can see Mcdavid and Puljujarvi as the modern day Gretzky and Kurri.

Reason Pujujarvi's skating makes him a tremendous rush player when you put him with Mcdavid and vice versa. Both unbelievable skaters.

Oilers have a plethora of Centers. IMO Jarmo is waiting for an offer and perhaps upping the ante for a deal that knocks his world. Otherwise he will just take Pujujarvi.

But given BlueJackets dealt RyJo, They would love to add a #1C back to their line up. If Chiarelli antes up.

Mcdavid and Pujujarvi would be something to see in the next decade. We shall see.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Having 3 more goals in Liiga playoffs than the #2 on the list is pretty good, especially when we consider how many more goals HIFK actually scored during the playoffs. Heck, HIFK lost the GF series 4-2 and they still scored more goals than Tappara during it. This is pretty obvious when we look at how many HIFK players were at the top of the playoff goal scoring charts.

Of course, some would make the argument that scoring goals during playoffs(Against the best teams in the league) is less valuable than scoring goals during the regular season(against every team, even the worst teams in the league).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad