LW Michael Dal Colle (2014, 5th, NYI)

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
Well at least Virtanen played on the World Junior Team twice....not a great sign when a 2014 draftee like MDC can't make the team as a 19-year old.....was he good last year because the Oshawa Generals were good?...and if the Isles had the opportunity to do a re-draft would they have taken Nylander or Ehlers who are both NHL players?

I've been a leaf fan since I was born and I'm probably what one would call a Nylander Homer but he hasn't even played an NHL game yet

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've been a leaf fan since I was born and I'm probably what one would call a Nylander Homer but he hasn't even played an NHL game yet

Not sure what's going on here....Nylander was leading the AHL in scoring when he went down and the Leafs as a group can't put the puck in the ocean....I know the Leafs braintrust say they want to let their prospects marinate on the farm, but a little ridiculous he hasn't made even a cameo appearance yet in Hogtown....but then I guess the Leafs could have drafted MDC and then they wouldn't need to even worry about whether or not to call him up.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Well at least Virtanen played on the World Junior Team twice....not a great sign when a 2014 draftee like MDC can't make the team as a 19-year old.....was he good last year because the Oshawa Generals were good?...and if the Isles had the opportunity to do a re-draft would they have taken Nylander or Ehlers who are both NHL players?

Virtanen in the first year he made the WJC..
50gp - 21g - 31a - 52p

Dal Colle the first year he was left off the WJC roster...
56gp - 42g - 51a - 93p

Do you honestly think Virtanen being on that roster had nothing to do with politics? Because he was bar none the dumbest player on that team and contributed nothing. Who gives if he was "only good because his team was good"? If he makes the Islanders (who are a good team), he will be playing with John Tavares.... I'm not worried about him playing with good players, nor do I think he was a product of Oshawa to begin with.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Do you honestly think Virtanen being on that roster had nothing to do with politics? Because he was bar none the dumbest player on that team and contributed nothing. Who gives if he was "only good because his team was good"? If he makes the Islanders (who are a good team), he will be playing with John Tavares.... I'm not worried about him playing with good players, nor do I think he was a product of Oshawa to begin with.

I think it had to do with a perception about MDC's mobility and the big ice. Whenever I've seen MDC in a TC camp game, he's been disappointing. Totally unlike the Isles prospect that is kept off the team due to politics. MDC's game is suited to tight spaces.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Do you honestly think Virtanen being on that roster had nothing to do with politics? .

I'm not going to get into who deserved to be there, or how anybody on the team played, but i'm guessing you have no clue how Hockey Canada operates. They don't give the first **** about whether guys happen to be drafted by a Canadian nhl team or not.

They can't afford to care about details like that because they're under intense pressure to win. Maybe you would have to live in Canada to understand just how much scrutiny there is on doing well in this tournament. Non medal finishes for a few years in a row and there's calls for a summit on the state of the game in Canada. If they somehow got relegated somebody (maybe a few somebody's) is losing their job.

Now do you understand why there's literally no chance that they look at 2 players and think: This one player gives us a better chance to win but.... let's take a Canuck prospect instead??? Nobody involved can afford to be that cavalier about the selection process. Whether they get it right or not is a different story.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Dal Colle didn't show up in the camps end of story. Can we move on and enjoy what he's doing now. He needs to work on a few areas of his game but he's still highly talented and has high potential. I'm not worried about him.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I think it had to do with a perception about MDC's mobility and the big ice. Whenever I've seen MDC in a TC camp game, he's been disappointing. Totally unlike the Isles prospect that is kept off the team due to politics. MDC's game is suited to tight spaces.

It absolutely had a lot to do with his skating. and it remains something he needs to work on. I feel like he must have had a growth spurt and hasn't fully adjusted yet.

I'm not going to get into who deserved to be there, or how anybody on the team played, but i'm guessing you have no clue how Hockey Canada operates. They don't give the first **** about whether guys happen to be drafted by a Canadian nhl team or not.

They can't afford to care about details like that because they're under intense pressure to win. Maybe you would have to live in Canada to understand just how much scrutiny there is on doing well in this tournament. Non medal finishes for a few years in a row and there's calls for a summit on the state of the game in Canada. If they somehow got relegated somebody (maybe a few somebody's) is losing their job.

Now do you understand why there's literally no chance that they look at 2 players and think: This one player gives us a better chance to win but.... let's take a Canuck prospect instead??? Nobody involved can afford to be that cavalier about the selection process. Whether they get it right or not is a different story.

I fully understand HC.... maybe it's you that has to come to terms with the truth? Politics are a big factor in their decision making and it's probably cost them. How do you explain John Quenneville getting the quality ice time he got?

jayck

Aug 5, 2013
Montreal
Dal Colle didn't show up in the camps end of story. Can we move on and enjoy what he's doing now. He needs to work on a few areas of his game but he's still highly talented and has high potential. I'm not worried about him.

Amen

Axel

Mar 19, 2013
Many posters on the Canuck board are ragging on Benning for picking Virtanen at sixth...imagine if he'd selected MDC at five....yikes!

This is an odd post digging at another prospect. Even with MDC's struggles he is still a better NHL prospect than Virtanen. MDC might not be the type of high end prospect that creates his own chances as a top line winger but Virtanen has very little hockey sense which will end up being his downfall. When these two are established in the NHL in several years I believe MDC will separate himself from Virtanen.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hard to maintain a 2ppg pace. That being said he should be at least a point per game the rest of the way

Kingston has 22 games left. I predict Dal Colle ends up with another 35 points (maybe 15 goals, 20 assists). Barring injury, he should easily eclipse the 30 goal mark this year. That's actually quite a feat when you consider he only had 8 goals in 30 games in Oshawa, which was about a 17 or 18 goal pace.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Virtanen in the first year he made the WJC..
50gp - 21g - 31a - 52p

Dal Colle the first year he was left off the WJC roster...
56gp - 42g - 51a - 93p

The reason Virtanen is on the Canucks roster this year is Jim Benning trying to save face.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So 24 points in 12 games for Kingston, 25 points in 30 games for Oshawa. I still wonder what the hell went wrong in Oshawa.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So 24 points in 12 games for Kingston, 25 points in 30 games for Oshawa. I still wonder what the hell went wrong in Oshawa.

Clearly the answer is Spencer Watson. :sarcasm:

The Isles should trade for Watson so he can help Dal Colle become a star at the NHL level. Dal Colle-Tavares-Watson as the Islanders' top line in 2017?! :D

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
very disappointed in the 1st half of the season he turned in. Team Canada could have used him in Helsinki...but **** happens.... glad to see him salvaging his season and I hope he has another Mem Cup run.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
very disappointed in the 1st half of the season he turned in. Team Canada could have used him in Helsinki...but **** happens.... glad to see him salvaging his season and I hope he has another Mem Cup run.

I'm pretty sure we didn't want him the way he was playing at Helsinki lol.

He only started doing better after he was cut :P

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
After he was traded, not cut.

Honestly, it could be a combination of both. He clearly needed a kick in the pants and the pair of events has really put him back on track. Good for him, glad to see a guy proving the haters and doubters (which I certainly was) wrong.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
He got bored is my theory.

Kinda sad. Just won the memorial cup - given the C and got bored?
I can buy it - IMO I think he wasn't and never will be up to the task of being 'the' guy on a team. He is a passenger that needs others to do the leg work, will put up the pts. and be a stat dream. Watch the whole body of work, and you really see the player he is. I haven't watched in Kingston (only looked at the stats, probably like most), but can picture it being similar to Oshawa during the run - put up pts. but would never consider him a direct impact on the teams success. (odd considering the amount of pts he did have, but true)

Good for him, I really liked him pre-draft - talked him up huge. But for a kid in this early of development to show odd character warts like boring on a team? we'll see how it translates when he is dropped into the ocean of professional hockey. I am eager to see his progression - I truly hope he has turned a corner and becomes complete,he does have the tools.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Kinda sad. Just won the memorial cup - given the C and got bored?
I can buy it - IMO I think he wasn't and never will be up to the task of being 'the' guy on a team. He is a passenger that needs others to do the leg work, will put up the pts. and be a stat dream. Watch the whole body of work, and you really see the player he is. I haven't watched in Kingston (only looked at the stats, probably like most), but can picture it being similar to Oshawa during the run - put up pts. but would never consider him a direct impact on the teams success. (odd considering the amount of pts he did have, but true)

Good for him, I really liked him pre-draft - talked him up huge. But for a kid in this early of development to show odd character warts like boring on a team? we'll see how it translates when he is dropped into the ocean of professional hockey. I am eager to see his progression - I truly hope he has turned a corner and becomes complete,he does have the tools.

He's on the right team. Tavares Strome Barzal Nelson he has plenty of talent to lean on and feed off of.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm pretty sure we didn't want him the way he was playing at Helsinki lol.

He only started doing better after he was cut :P

obviously. I had no objection to him being left off the team. I meant we needed the playing well Dal Colle, last year's Memorial Cup Dal Colle, that's the player we needed and not the first half of this season Dal Colle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad