LW Michael Dal Colle (2014, 5th, NYI)

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
I never stopped believing in MDC. I was more baffled and a bit disappointed than anything. Never once thought he was a bust. I was just concerned that he didn't stand out in any camps. Pro and Canada camp.

He won't make the Isles out of training camp until 2018.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Gym work is primarily an off-season thing where players show dedication to it, at the CHL, AHL and NHL level there are way too many games and time constraints to bulk up in a positive way. Now, he may now be motivated to put in the work during the off-season, but I don't think it will be because he's around Cairns all season.

Short summer for him probably didn't help.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Love that my boy has turned his season around. Even though I felt that he should have produced more with Oshawa being he's in his +2 draft season, the team clearly was a mess and he's clearly still the great goal scorer he was pegged to be.

He will have many good playmakers with the isles to get him the puck. Tavares Strome Barzal Neilsen so I don't think he will have a problem scoring. Just had to work on his strength and skating.

So far with Kingston he has 9gp 9g 9a 18pts. 8 even strength goals. That's 2ppg average. Not bad for a guy joining a new team. You don't expect him to maintain that pace but I don't see any reason why he can't be above a point per game the rest of the way.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
25 points in 30 games for Oshawa

16 points in 8 games for Kingston

Pretty amazing turnaround

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
25 points in 30 games for Oshawa

16 points in 8 games for Kingston

Pretty amazing turnaround

Now 19 points in 9 games and tonight's game is still in OT. Has been Kingston's leading scorer since he joined the team. He definitely has found his groove.

aaaaaaand he just got the game winning SO goal

Last edited:

Reel2Reel

Aug 3, 2013
I was at the Barrie-Kingston game tonight. Dal Colle looked good, but not THAT good. He seemed to be a good complementary player, but not a guy to really drive his own line.

Crouse on the other hand, was dominating all game. Kingstons best player IMO.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I was at the Barrie-Kingston game tonight. Dal Colle looked good, but not THAT good. He seemed to be a good complementary player, but not a guy to really drive his own line.

Crouse on the other hand, was dominating all game. Kingstons best player IMO.

I still feel this way about Dal Colle, even considering his current tear in Kingston.

I'll probably take a lot of flak for this, but I think Dal Colle ends up as a rich man's Alex Killorn. Whenever I watch Tampa, Killorn just reminds me of Dal Colle (with less skill though), even down to his skating stride.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
A player can still be productive without being the type of player to drive the play. Thomas Vanek isn't exactly that type of player either. The main thing is his skill set is a good match for John Tavares, and I believe MDC has it in him to be better offensively than Anders Lee or Brock Nelson.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
A player can still be productive without being the type of player to drive the play. Thomas Vanek isn't exactly that type of player either. The main thing is his skill set is a good match for John Tavares, and I believe MDC has it in him to be better offensively than Anders Lee or Brock Nelson.

So many players fit this description but less in today's NHL.

Robitaille made the HOF for crying out loud and deservingly so.

For awhile the above describes Moulson to a T.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011

Dal Colle has a much more dangerous shot and better puck skills away from the net than Moulson.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Moulson's a bad comparison because Moulson, at his best, was a guy who could score goals if he was set up. He wasn't a guy who could also create opportunities for his linemates. In comparison, Dal Colle creates as many chances for his linemates as they do for him.

His playmaking ability has really become underrated because of this narrative of him being a shooter.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I still feel this way about Dal Colle, even considering his current tear in Kingston.

I'll probably take a lot of flak for this, but I think Dal Colle ends up as a rich man's Alex Killorn. Whenever I watch Tampa, Killorn just reminds me of Dal Colle (with less skill though), even down to his skating stride.

This is perfect IMO.

I will expect things from Dal Colle once he starts bulking more.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Many posters on the Canuck board are ragging on Benning for picking Virtanen at sixth...imagine if he'd selected MDC at five....yikes!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Many posters on the Canuck board are ragging on Benning for picking Virtanen at sixth...imagine if he'd selected MDC at five....yikes!

Yeah, it would suck to have a prospect with hockey sense instead of one of the dumbest players coming out of junior in recent memory. But hey, those hits are amazing! :sarcasm:

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Kings or Jets should trade for him. They play a bigger slower game which would negate any skating issues MDC has.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Kings or Jets should trade for him. They play a bigger slower game which would negate any skating issues MDC has.

Isles don't have a pure sniper in the entire organization. Especially on the wings. Dal Colle is currently the isles best shot at a pure sniper.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Isles don't have a pure sniper in the entire organization. Especially on the wings. Dal Colle is currently the isles best shot at a pure sniper.

thing is, he's not simply a sniper. i believe he has an all around offensive game. i just hope that no islander fan is in a hurry to see it at the nhl level.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
thing is, he's not simply a sniper. i believe he has an all around offensive game. i just hope that no islander fan is in a hurry to see it at the nhl level.

He's going to take time to develops for sure. His skating and strength is what needs most work.

He's a very underrated playmaker and passer absolutely but his bread and butter is his shot and goal scoring ability. He was drafted to score goals. We need guys that can be smart enough and talented enough to play with Tavares and eventually Barzal.

Dal when with his isles will be put in a great position to score goals if he is playing with Tavares.

He and Ho-sang will start next year in the AHL and may even spend the whole year there which is fine. I just hope the isles get them a good veteran AHL center and keep them on a line together.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Virtanen honestly reminds me of a hyped Cal Clutterbuck.

Well at least Virtanen played on the World Junior Team twice....not a great sign when a 2014 draftee like MDC can't make the team as a 19-year old.....was he good last year because the Oshawa Generals were good?...and if the Isles had the opportunity to do a re-draft would they have taken Nylander or Ehlers who are both NHL players?

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
Well at least Virtanen played on the World Junior Team twice....not a great sign when a 2014 draftee like MDC can't make the team as a 19-year old.....was he good last year because the Oshawa Generals were good?...and if the Isles had the opportunity to do a re-draft would they have taken Nylander or Ehlers who are both NHL players?

Nylander isn't in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad