LW Kerby Rychel (2013, 19th, CBJ; traded to TOR; traded to MON)

Misfire Puck

May 6, 2010
Finland
Too lazy to read trough Subway Super Series and Canada WJC threads but how has he looked? Is he going to make to the team?

He has 37 points in 24 games in OHL but hows his defensive play and overall effort?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He was named player of the game in his one Super Series game, having scored a goal, in what was a pretty lack luster performance by the OHL. So he was one of the better players, but the team didn't look that great, so it's not like he dominated or anything. His goal was on a loose puck that he buried home with a nice slapper. I don't believe he played in the 2nd super series game given he had just played three games in three days with Windsor, and 4 games in the previous 5 days including the Super Series game. He stood out as much for his physical play and finishing checks, than generating many chances against the Russians.

He is in the conversation of making the team, and could find himself on either a scoring or checking line with Team Canada, which is why he has a good shot of making the team. He could play a power forward role, or as a part of a physical energy player.

At a high level, his production this year is a good sign for him in generating a lot of offence without Khoko on his line. Some had thought his offensive upside might be over-rated a bit, but I think pretty every scout sees a potential 20-goal physical forward. The question is whether he has the upside to be a 30 or even 40 goal guy at the next level, which is often about line mates and ice time as much as anything.

He could end up being a Nathan Horton, or he could end up being Eric Nystrom. Or somewhere in between like a Ryan Malone. Tough to tell at this point.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Watched him play once this year in a blowout win against Mississauga and he was awful. His defensive game is completely non-existent, he back checked once after making a terrible giveaway in the offensive zone leading to Miss' best scoring chance of the game. Fans were ragging on him as if lazy plays are his norm. Wasn't physical, didn't show much of anything.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Big news for Guelph if true...

Tony Saxon ‏@SaxonOnTheStorm 6m
Partially confirmed: Brody Milne and boat load of draft picks to Windsor for Rychel and Koekkoek.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
just weird...all the rumors had him going to London...a few of us have been checking with our @CBJProspects for updates...

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

I guess no trade? LOL maybe the Hunters offered more?

Sean Lafortune ‏@SeanLafortune 39s
Reported trade between Guelph and the Spits off due to a complication. Woudn't say its the last we have heard a deal between the two teams.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Traded to Guelph (for real this time) along with Nick Ebert

In return, Windsor receives four 2nds, two 4ths, a 3rd, a 15th, Brody Milne, and a partridge in a pear tree

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

According the Windsor Spitfires twitter the trade has now gone off

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Love the picks that CLB made in 2013 draft; Wennberg, Rychel, Dano & Bjorkstrand maybe the best in CLB history!

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Having watched most of the OHL finals, I was pleased to see how Kerby's game has been developing. Those two goals in the final minutes of the third were about as clutch of a performance as youll see...
He's definitely outgrown juniors and now needs to see how he does against men.

His shooting skills are excellent. Quick, hard release. Very good with the puck in close. Seems to be more of a one-touch player rather than someone who likes to carry a whole lot. His play in front of the net leads to a lot of goals that he doesn't always get points for. Overall, I am very excited to see how he makes the leap next year. He should be eligible for the AHL even if he isn't ready for the NHL as he has played four full OHL seasons.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Love the picks that CLB made in 2013 draft; Wennberg, Rychel, Dano & Bjorkstrand maybe the best in CLB history!

Having watched most of the OHL finals, I was pleased to see how Kerby's game has been developing. Those two goals in the final minutes of the third were about as clutch of a performance as youll see...
He's definitely outgrown juniors and now needs to see how he does against men.

His shooting skills are excellent. Quick, hard release. Very good with the puck in close. Seems to be more of a one-touch player rather than someone who likes to carry a whole lot. His play in front of the net leads to a lot of goals that he doesn't always get points for. Overall, I am very excited to see how he makes the leap next year. He should be eligible for the AHL even if he isn't ready for the NHL as he has played four full OHL seasons.

It will be very interesting to see what lines they end up on if/when they make the Blue Jackets. Bjorkstrand would probably be good on a line with Johansen and Jenner. Rychel on a line with Wennberg.

Jenner - Johansen - Bjorskstrand/Horton
Rychel - Wennberg - Horton/Bjorkstrand

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
This kid is gonna be good. Pretty envious of Blue Jackets forward depth. Wouldn't surprise me if they win a cup in the next 5-6 years with a core of Johansen, Jenner, Bjorkstrand and Rychel.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
This kid is gonna be good. Pretty envious of Blue Jackets forward depth. Wouldn't surprise me if they win a cup in the next 5-6 years with a core of Johansen, Jenner, Bjorkstrand and Rychel.

What about Wennberg? :)

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Bump.

Never seen him play and would love to have some info on him please.

Thanks in advance

The biggest flaw for Rychel is consistency. You get some games where he dominates and a few where you wonder if he'd even dressed. Even some of his average game his effort varies shift to shift.

But I will say that when he's on, it's a real treat to watch. His shot is outstanding, hard and accurate. He also can get it off pretty quickly. His hands are pretty good as well. Plays well in front of the net and gets a lot of tip-ins and rebound goals. Will engage physically in the corners.

Skating could use some work, mainly in the acceleration and agility phases. His top speed is pretty good when he can get to it.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The biggest flaw for Rychel is consistency. You get some games where he dominates and a few where you wonder if he'd even dressed. Even some of his average game his effort varies shift to shift.

But I will say that when he's on, it's a real treat to watch. His shot is outstanding, hard and accurate. He also can get it off pretty quickly. His hands are pretty good as well. Plays well in front of the net and gets a lot of tip-ins and rebound goals. Will engage physically in the corners.

Skating could use some work, mainly in the acceleration and agility phases. His top speed is pretty good when he can get to it.

Sounds alot like Rene Bourque.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
When I've seen him this year, I've been most impressed with his playmaking, which is a bit of a strange twist. Seems like he was making several pretty touch passes per game, and that continued in the OHL playoffs and right into the Memorial Cup. Overall offensive IQ seems to be higher than most thought.

Effort level and skating are still issues though. As a scorer, he has probably become a bit too cerebral, and less of a power forward. He'll certainly get to the NHL quicker if he can find his inner-grinder though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad