LW Kerby Rychel (2013, 19th, CBJ; traded to TOR; traded to MON)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think this guy makes the CBJ out of camp. Doesn't look out of place at all.

Ima keep saying it. Rychel is Jenner pt 2. Not afraid of corners, sitting in front of the net, banging bodies and will go balls to the wall ever shift.

Rychel-Jenner-Atkinson

Would be a lethal line..

FlamesFan 2313

Mar 22, 2015
Ontario
What's up with Rychel? There are a lot of rumors that CBJ is dangling him for a defenseman. Is it because he has fallen out of favour with the Jackets or because he is good and that is what other teams would want in return for a defenseman? I'm curious because I have him in my dynasty league as a prospect and if he is being shopped around because he is under performing then I will look at moving him.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What's up with Rychel? There are a lot of rumors that CBJ is dangling him for a defenseman. Is it because he has fallen out of favour with the Jackets or because he is good and that is what other teams would want in return for a defenseman? I'm curious because I have him in my dynasty league as a prospect and if he is being shopped around because he is under performing then I will look at moving him.

CBJ knows they can get a good return for him. I think as their team stands right now, they would rather trade away a prospect like him for a good return rather than lose a roster player. IMO CBJ has a deadly group of forwards on their roster right now and they don't want to disrupt that. They need a good puckmoving PP type dman real bad and they figure that a package with Rychel would do the trick. Sure it sucks losing a great prospect like Rychel, but CBJ is real close to having a very special team and just need to acquire a dman.

FlamesFan 2313

Mar 22, 2015
Ontario
CBJ knows they can get a good return for him. I think as their team stands right now, they would rather trade away a prospect like him for a good return rather than lose a roster player. IMO CBJ has a deadly group of forwards on their roster right now and they don't want to disrupt that. They need a good puckmoving PP type dman real bad and they figure that a package with Rychel would do the trick. Sure it sucks losing a great prospect like Rychel, but CBJ is real close to having a very special team and just need to acquire a dman.

Thanks! This helped a lot! I also have Bjorkstrand in my league, and I was wondering who you think will end up being a better player?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks! This helped a lot! I also have Bjorkstrand in my league, and I was wondering who you think will end up being a better player?

I am a HUGE Bjorkstrand fan because he is a pure goal scorer. I really am hoping his game will translate well at the next level. I think Rychel is a safer bet to become a better player but Bjorkstrand has the chance to be lethal and if he hits that potential, he will be a goal scoring machine

FlamesFan 2313

Mar 22, 2015
Ontario
I am a HUGE Bjorkstrand fan because he is a pure goal scorer. I really am hoping his game will translate well at the next level. I think Rychel is a safer bet to become a better player but Bjorkstrand has the chance to be lethal and if he hits that potential, he will be a goal scoring machine

Bjorkstrand has been putting up incredible numbers for a while. I still don't know how he fell to the 3rd round. He's not even in the NHL yet and it looks like the Jacket's got a steal. I will probably hang onto both in my dynasty league! Thanks for your help!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Got to give to get. Rychel was dangled for a Dman but that's probably not the case anymore due to trading of Dano. He'll likely be first or second call up from Lake Erie this year with an outside shot of making the team.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Is it safe to say he's just an average top 9er at best now?

I don't know his career ahl scoring is .66 for example Zach Hyman's is .63. If Rychel is willing and able to dig in the corners and work hard he could take the spot on Matthews wing, which is very clearly our 1st line. Even if he doesn't Babcock loves those guys on every line so he could do the same role for the 2nd line. If you mean scoring wise a top6 player maybe not but teams don't employ a straight top6 of the highest scoring players on their roster any more

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

In terms of how we'd categorize players, ya it's tough to see him becoming a 1st line player in a vacuum. Babcock seems to like a gritty puck retriever on the wings of his scoring lines so there's a chance he's deployed there, assuming he makes the jump to the NHL

His AHL production has been better over the last 4-6 weeks but he's playing with the best players and getting PP time so that could be a mirage

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
I wouldn't hold my breath on Rychel. He's way down the Leafs depth chart right now. He's 22 y/o, so if he doesn't up his production soon, the next wave or prospects are going to pass him.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I wouldn't hold my breath on Rychel. He's way down the Leafs depth chart right now. He's 22 y/o, so if he doesn't up his production soon, the next wave or prospects are going to pass him.

does he grind it out on the boards? play physical? if he does skill doesn't matter Babcock loves these kinds of players and hyman is 24 now 23 last year and even though there were more skilled scorers on the marlies he is the one called up and he stuck with the leafs.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

He actually has been producing well for the last little while, started really slow and picked it up, but that may be a product of linemates & opportunity more than his own doing

Can't see Rychel ever being relied on to score for the Leafs but there's still hope as a grind liner

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
12pts in his last 13, has become a real important player for the Marlies. He's finally using his heavy shot more and puts pucks on net at will.

Been getting a lot more PP time too. He likes that JVR/Vanek spot on the goal line and goes to work from there. A lot of fans who say he will be nothing more than a banger at the next level don't watch the Marlies this year (which a lot of Leaf fans don't anymore). He's been a brute.

That's fair.

I still project him as a 2nd/3rd line tweener, but realistically he rounds out as a 3rd line scoring forward with jam. Fingers crossed Vegas doesn't take him.

I just want him to win 1 fight as a Leaf so I can say "that guy got Kerb-stomped"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad