LW Kerby Rychel (2013, 19th, CBJ; traded to TOR; traded to MON)

spfan

May 4, 2009
All around type player. Powerforward with a two-way game and a good offensive game. Much alike Gabriel Landeskog or Evander Kane in my opinion.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Anyone got more info on him and how he's doing so far? Being from LA he seems like a great target for the Ducks (...or the Kings)

Is he good enough to go top 15?

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Anyone got more info on him and how he's doing so far? Being from LA he seems like a great target for the Ducks (...or the Kings)

Is he good enough to go top 15?
I don't think he grew up here. Sounds like a similar situation to Myers and Couturier.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
All around type player. Powerforward with a two-way game and a good offensive game. Much alike Gabriel Landeskog or Evander Kane in my opinion.

I've seen the term power forward thrown around a lot in regards to Rychel lately, and I just don't agree with it. I also don't see him as anywhere close to as good of an all around player as someone like Landeskog.

Rychel is a terrific goal scorer. He has great instincts in the offensive zone, and is very dangerous around the crease. He knows how to battle for position in front of the net and is aggressive in fighting for pucks.

But I think the rest of his game still has a lot of maturing to do. His play away from the puck can leave some to be desired at times. While he can be effective in the corners, I find that sometimes he looks comfortable hanging out around the net area waiting for something to happen (the reason many people believed he'd struggle without Alex Khokhlachev this season). He'll throw a check, but I wouldn't call him a banger or someone who you have to constantly look out for physically. Defensively, he can tend to float, but there's potential for improvement.

He's definitely a work in progress as a complete two way player, and not someone I'd call a power forward.

Just my two cents.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
I wouldn't call him a power forward like Rick Nash in that he uses size to gain an advantage and drive to the net, I'd call him a power forward like Scott Hartnell in that he has a great around-the-net presence. He has a great shot and is often in the right place at the right time for a one-timer snipe.

One common criticism, which I agree with, is his tendency to float in both zones, particularly in the defensive zone. I wouldn't call him a liability, but he is often slightly removed from play in his own zone. This could easily improve as the year goes on.

I believe he would be a perfect fit on a team like Phoenix or Nashville which needs more offense while employing a tight checking system which Kerby could be forced to buy into. I feel like his game could adapt well and he would be very successful.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Offensively - has a great shot and knows where to be at the right time. Not the flash-and-dash guy, but will put up the points. Can be streaky at times.

Defensively - needs improvement, but getting there. Known as a bit of a floater, but will come back into his own zone and look comfortable.

Physically - Can hit and crash, but not going to wow the crowd with his play. Will stick up for his teammates on occasion. Not a feared guy or anything.

The potential for greatness is there, but it'll take a bit more time.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
He's a gamer! He will be a good NHL through just willing himself into becoming one. Not the most talented but has the compete level to be a good NHLer. Hartnell is a good comparisons.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Rychel became a power forward? Saw him when he used to play with the Majors, who woulda thought lol.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
6'1 200lbs, solid size already, hes a pretty solid fighter, not a scary heavyweight but can go and is willing and some solid offense.

Seems like the type that will probably go a bit higher then his skillset said he should because of the physicality and fighting but if he fell to around where the wings pick this year (I'm guessing early twenties maybe late teens) I wouldnt mind them taking him in that range

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
I've seen the term power forward thrown around a lot in regards to Rychel lately, and I just don't agree with it. I also don't see him as anywhere close to as good of an all around player as someone like Landeskog.

Rychel is a terrific goal scorer. He has great instincts in the offensive zone, and is very dangerous around the crease. He knows how to battle for position in front of the net and is aggressive in fighting for pucks.

But I think the rest of his game still has a lot of maturing to do. His play away from the puck can leave some to be desired at times. While he can be effective in the corners, I find that sometimes he looks comfortable hanging out around the net area waiting for something to happen (the reason many people believed he'd struggle without Alex Khokhlachev this season). He'll throw a check, but I wouldn't call him a banger or someone who you have to constantly look out for physically. Defensively, he can tend to float, but there's potential for improvement.

He's definitely a work in progress as a complete two way player, and not someone I'd call a power forward.

Just my two cents.

Exactly my thoughts Brock. Thanks for saving me to respond haha

He certainly has work to do defensively. He seems to take shifts off defensively and doesn't bear down like a man his size should. He's also not afraid of contact as he will battle for picks but he doesn't use his size the way you would expect from a forward his size.

He's got a Scorers instinct but he does miss a lot of opportunities as well. He's a first round pick at this point (top 20)

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Seems like he'll be a solid player. Plays decent all around game. I expect him to go between 11 and 20 in the draft in 2013.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Landeskog is a good comparison, i almost see him as an Andrew Ladd with more offence. He won't score the pretty goals but he buries his fare share of goals from inside 5 feet. good speed. hard working mentality and good character. should be an easy 1st round without a bust of a year. "ebert-esque"

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Landeskog is a good comparison, i almost see him as an Andrew Ladd with more offence. He won't score the pretty goals but he buries his fare share of goals from inside 5 feet. good speed. hard working mentality and good character. should be an easy 1st round without a bust of a year. "ebert-esque"

Only seen him a couple times and to be honest didnt pay a tonne of attention but Ladd sounds pretty close. Solid physical game thats inconsistent, solid 2 way play, can scrap and chips in offensively

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I like the Ladd comparison. Rychel is a good goal scorer but not a true power forward. Off to a bit of a rough start but I expect him to bounce back strong shortly.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What are everyones impressions of him so far this season? Seemed to me his foot speed has gotten better in the game last night. Still plays a high energy physical game but is starting slow offensively

spfan

May 4, 2009
Does he posses highend skill ?

What's his ceiling ?

I'd say he will be anywhere from 50-70 points in the NHL with intangibles. Two-way play and physicality. His shot is a pretty strong asset of his.

Might turn out a little better than Ladd has, but hey, 2 stanley cups for that guy already.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
I'd say he will be anywhere from 50-70 points in the NHL with intangibles. Two-way play and physicality. His shot is a pretty strong asset of his.

Might turn out a little better than Ladd has, but hey, 2 stanley cups for that guy already.

I'd say 50-70 points is a ceiling. He is a bit of a risky pick, but there is significant reward if he is coached correctly and put with the right players (he NEEDS a skilled center to be at his most effective)

spfan

May 4, 2009
I'd say 50-70 points is a ceiling. He is a bit of a risky pick, but there is significant reward if he is coached correctly and put with the right players (he NEEDS a skilled center to be at his most effective)

I see him as a safe player. At worst he's a 3rd liner. He's used to being a PKer and he's no Lucic or even close, but he does play physical too.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

having quite the night tonight taking advantage of the lowly petes, 1g 5a game almost done

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad