LW Kerby Rychel (2013, 19th, CBJ; traded to TOR; traded to MON)

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Can this guy still turn it around and become a good 3/4th liner?

Valiev has a outside chance to make an NHL roster....IMO Rychel doesn't and I've been saying it for a while (only AHL forward on the Marlies that's even closer to a NHL roster right now is Johnsson).

He's pretty slow, he's not a great finisher in tight spaces...he's going to have a tough road in this league. The 2nd is the most valuable piece in that deal by a long shot in a good draft.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For a sharp hockey man as Jarmo Kekäläinen is. Rychel always struck me as a player he would not pick in the 1st rd. There are some nice players that went just after him in the 2013 draft that seem more like Jarmo types. One can hope a change of scenery will give him a new lease on his hockey career.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I still don't get how you can score two 40 goals season before being draft eligible and still haven't been able to reach the 20-25 goals mark at the AHL level by that point, what went wrong?

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I still don't get how you can score two 40 goals season before being draft eligible and still haven't been able to reach the 20-25 goals mark at the AHL level by that point, what went wrong?

He was always bigger and stronger than the teenagers he played against.

Once the opposition was bigger and faster, he no longer had the advantage.

His biggest downfall is his skating and inability to take advantage of his size.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

His biggest downfall is his skating and inability to take advantage of his size.

Yeah he isn't that smart of a player either. Can't believe I was so high on him back in the days.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
For a sharp hockey man as Jarmo Kekäläinen is. Rychel always struck me as a player he would not pick in the 1st rd. There are some nice players that went just after him in the 2013 draft that seem more like Jarmo types. One can hope a change of scenery will give him a new lease on his hockey career.

He made it up with that Bjorkstrand pick.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
really think it comes down to just having a huge physical advantage in junior that went away when the competition got bigger. He's really not bad below the faceoff dots in the forward zone and there's still some talent on display sometimes, but I think his shortcomings in the rest of his game will be too big of a barrier for his 15-20 goal NHL potential (in very favourable usage) to overcome. He might suit up for the Habs in a rebuild, but really doubt he ever plays for a good NHL team

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
He's gonna be 24 at next camp.

Scherbak was given up on at 21 years old by most fans and He was over a PPG in the AHL.

I doubt Rychel will even play one nhl game in a Habs jersey.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I hope he makes it in some capacity for the Habs.
I liked him when he was drafted and was pumped when we got him from Cbus but for whatever reason, he just didn't show enough in TO.
Still young and there is upside there.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

And effort level. There was a little story back in the day where is dad Warren was with him and pointed out Boone Jenner (In Junior) and said something to the effect of see that player, thats the effort and work ethic you need to play with.
Never happened

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
Love Kerby's style. Great teammate and a hard worker every shift. I think he has a chance to carve out a 4th line role with the Canadiens if he keeps developing, possibly even 3rd line if he finds his offensive game at the next level.

Reactions: Fixxer

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
And effort level. There was a little story back in the day where is dad Warren was with him and pointed out Boone Jenner (In Junior) and said something to the effect of see that player, thats the effort and work ethic you need to play with.
Never happened

He's also not a smart player nor a skilled one something people forget to mention. I've actually went to a few Marlies game live, and he seemed completely clueless at times.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
No speed, no skill, no smarts, just physicality and size really.
I'm not high on Rychel making the NHL in anything but spot start/4th line on a bad team capacity, but don't think it's fair to say "no skill". His offensive ability below the forward zone dots is pretty decent, just probably not good enough to overlook his warts elsewhere

Last edited:

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I can't believe someone liked your comment that isn't backed by anything...
Which part?

Watch Rychel play. He's a big body with pretty mediocre mobility and very questionable drive. He has a great shot but he's nothing more than future waiver fodder, if he doesn't figure it out very soon.

Montreal fans are very smart. They'll see what we've been talking about, soon enough.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Which part?

Watch Rychel play. He's a big body with pretty mediocre mobility and very questionable drive. He has a great shot but he's nothing more than future waiver fodder, if he doesn't figure it out very soon.

Montreal fans are very smart. They'll see what we've been talking about, soon enough.

The part where you stated that he spend too much time in the AHL. He obviously isn't ready for the NHL (yet), but making a statement like that does not seem correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad