Value of: LOW TRADE VALUE, HIGH TEAM VALUE PLAYERS

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
For the Pens it's gotta be Carl Hagelin. Even by our own fans he's considered low value because of that contract, but take him out of the lineup and there are a lot of holes that open up. PK, as a quick third wheel to compliment a skilled line, as a quick intelligent disruptor protecting a lead late. The guy is snakebitten with points this year, despite having some skill, but that seems to drive perception of him and his skill set way down. He's basically an overpaid Swiss Army knife player who can look comfortable in almost any role. Sadly, if the Pens do make a trade, he's probably a goner just because of his cap hit. I'm sure if he was on half that they would never consider moving him.

Sheary and Rust are another two debatable ones. I never know how they are valued because they are often included in proposals but then usually derided as throw-ins. They fit the Pens style of play and know how to compliment our stars with their own play. Small guys who work their butts off, and play a much "bigger" game than you'd expect. And they have flashes of skill and brilliance that belie a workmanlike overall game. But I doubt anyone else would consider them as valuable as the Pens do. Especially with Rust making less than a million.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
He scores less, he's more of a perimeter player, and he's far, far worst in the playoffs. It's closer than people on here want to admit. If the argument is that Patches>JVR, it's based purely on historical pedigree and nothing more. If we're factoring in recency, I could easily buy an argument for JVR now and moving forward.

All that said, I wouldn't pay either with a high hit and term, too many red flags.

Except
Patches scores more, is better defensively, and has a higher ppg on the playoffs.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Except
Patches scores more, is better defensively, and has a higher ppg on the playoffs.

He has more value if your factoring in purely pedigree, but once you factor in recency going back to last years playoffs, the gap is small. Two heavily flawed, complimentary players. Patches defensive game has declined, and while it is better than JVR's, there are other factors that make him a worst offensive player in competitive situations- such as the fact he's even more of a perimeter player than JVR.

There is no significant difference in value between either. Though Patches certainly has more with the extra year he has on his deal. I wouldn't be comfortable paying any significant money and term for either once they hit UFA's, and certainly not on a team with a few pieces that are clearly superior to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad