Value of: LOW TRADE VALUE, HIGH TEAM VALUE PLAYERS

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Colorado: JT Compher.

I mean I'm sure he has solid trade value, but his points so far don't really do him justice for how good he is. Incredibly smart, fastest player on the team after Mackinnon, great in the defensive zone, great on the PK, great shot. I'm sure Compher has the trade value equal to what he is right now as a player but the thing with Compher is that he has no ceiling. There are no holes in his game. Because of that his trade value isn't worth what he could potentially become for Colorado.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
For Tampa

Ryan Callahan: contract makes him damn near untradeable but his impacts on the fourth line have been tremendous this season
Yanni Gourde: a major part of Tampa's top-9. If he keeps up the scoring his league wide value will be higher.
Jake Dotchin: a cheap, young, solid dman

I would include Brayden Point but his value league wide has got to be improving with how he has played this season.

Reactions: Bodi Finds the Fire

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Most third line centers. They are often crucial for secondary scoring, shutting the other team's top guys down, or even both. As for the trade value part, it is quite simple. If you trade a third line center, you'll often need to use a fourth line center to cover the assignments of the guy you just traded, which rarely ends up being a success. Then again, you don't usually get much for a bottom six player, even if it is a center.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Scandella was another one. May not have been elite defensively, but he was reliable, usually.

Gotta be honest, don't really think the Wild have one this year. Brodin is the closest but I don't think he really fits.

Yeah, I think Brodin has some pretty good value around the league. Agree on Scandella... as I'm sure you know, i am still really pissed about that trade. Watching Ennis and Foligno fumble the puck night after night is killing me.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Connor Brown
Brendan Gallagher
Justin Braun

I'm pretty sure Gm's would pay a lot to get him. He seems to have a great reputation.

I mean, the guy is hovering 40 points every year, brings it in the playoffs (no decrease in production, pro rata to 40 pts), is great on the PK and gives his everything on each night.

As for the other two, I agree.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Yeah, I think Brodin has some pretty good value around the league. Agree on Scandella... as I'm sure you know, i am still really pissed about that trade. Watching Ennis and Foligno fumble the puck night after night is killing me.
Worst trade of the summer easily. Not sure what your GM was thinking there but I'm glad he did.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Jesper Fast wins this thread.
I doubt people would even move a 2nd for him but he's a monster for the Rangers
Great defense, offensive ability at time, sick shot, works well on any line, Fast (like his name) a true Swiss (Swedish) Army knife player. It would take a high 2nd/low first for me to move him. He's played at a 50 point pace this year. Deserves more recognition

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I don't know if Brown really has that low trade value but this mostly applies to rentals or undervalued players. On the Leafs, it's probably JVR and Hainsey.

I agree with Hainsey for sure, but not with JVR. I have no doubt if the Leafs decided to move JVR they'd get a hefty return for him. It's just on this site that his value has taken a hit because of the constant trade proposals. In the real world 30 goal scorers return pretty much exactly what you'd expect them to......a lot.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
JVR.
Consistent 60pt producer who wouldn't even return a late 1st at the trade deadline (according to HFboards)

Last edited:
Reactions: firstemperor

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I always thought Daniel Winnik didn't get a lot of love. One of the better 4th line guys who can PK, forecheck and give good board play. He won't finish very much but can give you excellent bottom 6 minutes.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
For the Bruins, I suppose it's McQuaid. He's an aging, injury prone defenseman, but the Bruins playoff success since 2011 is directly correlated to his presences in the line up.

Runner up may be Backes. Low trade value because of his contract and age, but brings a lot of veteran leadership to a young team that needs it.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I agree with Hainsey for sure, but not with JVR. I have no doubt if the Leafs decided to move JVR they'd get a hefty return for him. It's just on this site that his value has taken a hit because of the constant trade proposals. In the real world 30 goal scorers return pretty much exactly what you'd expect them to......a lot.

That was half my point as well (fully agreed). For some reason, Patches would get close to 2X-3X more than JVR with only a year more on his deal on these boards, yet he is arguably even more flawed than the latter.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Grabner and its not even close. Guy is gonna score 25-30 goals easy all at even strength or pk. Terrific on pk and makes Nothing.

Reactions: Lays and Ibewlu3

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Paul Byron for the Habs.

Claimed off of waivers two years ago.

Two years ago had 11 goals in 62 games.

Last year he broke out with 22 goals in 81 games.

This year he has 9 goals in 31 games.

He has the speed to burn by defenders. He kills penalties. He rarely plays on a scoring line. Limited power play time. Makes slightly under 1.2 million this season and next.

He looks like a really solid trade bait chip yet he never gets mentioned in trade talks. You would think if the Habs did a rebuild that many teams would be after him yet no one is ever interested in trade proposals.

I totally agree with Byron.

This may be unpopular with some Habs fans but I'd put Benn in that same category. He's a solid #5D who can reliably move up when there are injuries and can play either side, and at $1.1M for another couple years that's a great bargain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad