Value of: LOW TRADE VALUE, HIGH TEAM VALUE PLAYERS

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, I think Brodin has some pretty good value around the league. Agree on Scandella... as I'm sure you know, i am still really pissed about that trade. Watching Ennis and Foligno fumble the puck night after night is killing me.

I don't think there's anyone more pissed about that trade than you and me :laugh:

Reactions: 57special

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Tom Wilson is the easy answer for Capitals.
Judging on any of the 100 topics he has gotten here, his valued close to nothing in other fanbases. In fact couple franchises would throw up just for the idea of having to take him. What he brings for our team is way beyond than your average 16th overall pick, that has gotten lot of "wasted pick" comments. I would be devastated to see him leave for anything that wasnt an abnormal overpayment.

Brooks Orpik is the suprise answer for Capitals.
With his big negative value it just isnt anywhere close to being worth it to trade him out. His caphit is a killer, but we keep on surviving it just fine. He also isnt the liability that he is called out for. Guy is actually still a solid defencive dman, just a little too much ice time is forced on his shoulders. For me it would be just unbearable to give 1st + to get rid of his on- and especially off-ice effect for our youngish D. The anti-Orpik crew should quit the whining, this guy is still good for us. Lets view back onto this next summer.

Bubbling Under : Grubauer. As goalie market has inflated, no reason to trade out one of the best backups in the league. Plan B between the posts sound alot better right now than an iffy pick or prospect.

Disagree on Orpik, we're "surviving" him because the rest of the team is good enough to get past his wasted chances and getting walked defensively. His cap hit is also keeping us from getting/retaining impact players that could push us to the next level.

He could actually do well on a rebuild team with cap room to spare as a mentor/meat shield for younger D

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Its Cizikas for the Isles but I have to wonder if a team needing great bottom six depth would pony up something decent for him.

Reactions: PROMputt

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
This is Jagr for the Flames. He brings a lot more value than just what he does on the ice and when he is on the ice, his linemates tend to improve a lot.

Reactions: Wish You Were Here

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
all the empty net goals for michael grabner
Still would be on pace for 20 plus goals even if you took away all his empty net goals (which wouldn't be fair cause the guy creates them on his own pretty much ) with zero pp time and tremendous pk'er . Does so many things but I can understand why his past teams fans are a little salty ;)

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I'm just curious, how many players in the league fit into this category.

Basically, their trade value isn't high, meaning you wouldn't get alot of assets for them.

But they're value is extremely high to your team, which is why you wouldn't trade them unless for over-payment.

Lets shine the light on some unsung heroes in the league.

For the Leafs, i would say Ron Hainsey fits this category.
For the Oilers, i would say Jujhar Khaira.

For real? It'd be Sekera or RNH. Those two are valuable to the Oilers. Khaira is doing good now, but he hasn't reached the "I'm more valuable than you realized" yet.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
For real? It'd be Sekera or RNH. Those two are valuable to the Oilers. Khaira is doing good now, but he hasn't reached the "I'm more valuable than you realized" yet.
Could a team pry away Khaira from the oilers with a 2nd round pick or let's say Late 1st Round pick. (E.g. Pens offer 1st)?

This is why I thought he fits in the category.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Still would be on pace for 20 plus goals even if you took away all his empty net goals (which wouldn't be fair cause the guy creates them on his own pretty much ) with zero pp time and tremendous pk'er . Does so many things but I can understand why his past teams fans are a little salty ;)
man i really envy grabner’s success with this struggling isles offense

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
That was half my point as well (fully agreed). For some reason, Patches would get close to 2X-3X more than JVR with only a year more on his deal on these boards, yet he is arguably even more flawed than the latter.
Well i wouldn't say 3 times but we all know that Patches >JVR so that is why he would get more.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Letestu,

TM would pimp out his own daughter before he lets PC trade him. He's Mr Everything to the Oilers. PP, PK, takes faceoffs for Mcdavid, extra skater. It's amazing that he hasn't resigned for another 8 years yet.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Well i wouldn't say 3 times but we all know that Patches >JVR so that is why he would get more.

He scores less, he's more of a perimeter player, and he's far, far worst in the playoffs. It's closer than people on here want to admit. If the argument is that Patches>JVR, it's based purely on historical pedigree and nothing more. If we're factoring in recency, I could easily buy an argument for JVR now and moving forward.

All that said, I wouldn't pay either with a high hit and term, too many red flags.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Matty P and Armia, noone would what this 2 posseion monsters are really worth.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Could a team pry away Khaira from the oilers with a 2nd round pick or let's say Late 1st Round pick. (E.g. Pens offer 1st)?

This is why I thought he fits in the category.

If Edmonton was offered a 2nd or a late 1st for Khaira, I'd take that and run. He's doing good right now, but what's to say he was just in the right place at the right time? Same thing happened to Davidson and look where he ended up? Until he scores like 15 goals, I consider him to be lucky.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Colorado: JT Compher.

I mean I'm sure he has solid trade value, but his points so far don't really do him justice for how good he is. Incredibly smart, fastest player on the team after Mackinnon, great in the defensive zone, great on the PK, great shot. I'm sure Compher has the trade value equal to what he is right now as a player but the thing with Compher is that he has no ceiling. There are no holes in his game. Because of that his trade value isn't worth what he could potentially become for Colorado.

I don't disagree with anything you said about Compher, but he's a rookie with potential. Most rookies with potential could probably be a good answer in this thread, and it just seems like the easy answer.

I'm going with the old guy, Soderberg. He's 32 years old. His contract is about $1m too much and a year too long. Last year was a dumpster fire of a season for him personally, along with the team. He's viewed as little more than a cap dump around here. But, he's centering the Avs dependable 3rd line, PKing decently well, and is on pace for a 40+ point season. On top of that, the Avs need his cap hit for next season. I doubt anyone would offer the Avs enough of a return to make it worth trading him.

Reactions: Weast

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
This screams Travis Zajac, but he's been pretty awful this year since coming back. He had major surgery in the offseason and is on the wrong side of 31. He's being outperformed by Brian Boyle and doesn't really fit into Hynes's fast-break transition offense. More of a dump and chase possession guy. His defense used to be elite, top-5 in the NHL, now it's just good. He's winning faceoffs though, really the only thing of value he's providing right now.

I'm sure the coaching staff will tell you what a leader he is and how valuable his presence yadda yadda but he's really not bringing much value to the team. His trade value is atrocious. Hopefully it's just a conditioning/system issue and he'll get back to speed.

The one obvious guy is Jesper Bratt. On paper he looks like a quality young middle sixer with upside but he completely changed the calculus of this team by giving us a quality RW where we were incredibly weak. NJ has been playing him as a first line RW and that's how they value him. 19 year old top line RWs don't get traded, even if they're "only" on pace for 45-50 points. I'd say he's just as untouchable as Hall, Hischier, and Butcher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->