Player Discussion Loui Eriksson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
The other thing to say about Eriksson is it's not even like Benning overpaid for him. That off-season really was the summer of godawful forward contracts:

Troy Brower (4 yr, $18M)
Milan Lucic (7 yr, $42M)
Darren Helm (5 yr, $19M)
Andrew Shaw (6 yr, $24M)
Casey Cizikas (5 yr, $16M)
David Backes (5 yr, $60M)
Kyle Okposo (7 yr, $42M)
Andrew Ladd (7 yr, $38.5M)
Frans Neilsen (6 yr, $32M)
Mikkel Boedker (4 yr, $14M)

Obviously sitting out that market was the best possible solution but really...the Eriksson deal is better than half those contracts IMO.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The other thing to say about Eriksson is it's not even like Benning overpaid for him. That off-season really was the summer of godawful forward contracts:

Troy Brower (4 yr, $18M)
Milan Lucic (7 yr, $42M)
Darren Helm (5 yr, $19M)
Andrew Shaw (6 yr, $24M)
Casey Cizikas (5 yr, $16M)
David Backes (5 yr, $60M)
Kyle Okposo (7 yr, $42M)
Andrew Ladd (7 yr, $38.5M)
Frans Neilsen (6 yr, $32M)
Mikkel Boedker (4 yr, $14M)

Obviously sitting out that market was the best possible solution but really...the Eriksson deal is better than half those contracts IMO.

He did overpay for him though. The other alternative was just to NOT sign him. Which is what would have been better. IDC if he was signed to 4 million a year that's still a terrible deal.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Can we call it a career ending injury?

His ribs are allergic to being on a bad team?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Please retire and go play in Sweden.

Absolutely criminal that he's making more per game than most working people earn in an entire year. He hasn't made any visual efforts to improve his game, no reports of him staying late practicing...just shows up to bang in a couple Ryan Smyth rebounds.

Gone is the once immensely effective, two way winger that would put up 30 goals and provide a solid defensive presence. This guy was quietly once one of my favourite players in the league, just did his job and played the game the right way. Used to be so underrated until his last season in Boston.

He's done nothing in two years here to earn even half of what he's making. And sure, can't blame him for cashing in when presented a fat contract (Benning deserves enormous amounts of criticism for blindly throwing money around to a 30+ winger for a contract year) but how can this guy honestly look at himself in the mirror and be happy with the situation here...

The team sucks, his play on the ice sucks, his contract sucks, everything sucks but his own paycheque.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Yeah it's not like he can suddenly just pull a Benjamin Button.

I don't blame him for taking the payday when it was handed to him on a silver platter but I was hoping you'd at least see a little effort from him.

I mean look at what Motte did on the PK the other night, or how Biega plays every single shift he gets out there. They are TRYING to do the best they can. Eriksson doesn't seem to care anymore.

Just looking at the league the way it's evolved we need to change our perception of "Old". We used to see players lasting till 40 before the drop off really hit. Now you see players like Eriksson, the Sedins, Matt Moulson, Chris Higgins, Jannik Hansen, they all hit 30 or so and they drop like a bag of rocks.

With McDavid and Mackinnon, Point, Barzal, Virtanen, Matthews all these young guys that can turn on the jets some of the older guys don't have a chance.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
What if Loui is pro tank and sucks on purpose so we can get a high pick so we shouldnt be bashing on loui we should be thanking him

Reactions: manroth19

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I honestly hope he’s played his last game in a Canucks uniform. I thought he was a bad fit 4-5 years ago when there was a gazzillion threads saying Canucks should trade for him. Never in a million years did I expect that he would fall far below my expectations. Unfortunately, the bad term of his contract, i.e. 3-4 years too long, means we are stuck with him for at least another year or two.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
A shame too hear about his injury. I never want to hear a player has been hurt. At this point I'd be happy to trade him to EDM for Lucic and his bad contract. At least Lucic shows emotion. Eriksson has been a disaster.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
A shame too hear about his injury. I never want to here a player has been hurt. At this point I'd be happy to trade him to EDM for Lucic and his bad contract. At least Lucic shows emotion. Eriksson has been a disaster.

Lucics contract isn't as buyout proof.

Would think hard about trading him for lucic and then buying him out.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
A shame too hear about his injury. I never want to here a player has been hurt. At this point I'd be happy to trade him to EDM for Lucic and his bad contract. At least Lucic shows emotion. Eriksson has been a disaster.

No thank you

Eriksson can still kill penalties and isn't a bad skater. Lucic is too slow to do much of anything except stand in front of the net.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I would be someone who would be up for a Lucic for Eriksson trade, if for no other reason other than to change things up since its become so sour with this guy.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I would be someone who would be up for a Lucic for Eriksson trade, if for no other reason other than to change things up since its become so sour with this guy.
I don't want the extra year of Lucic

Reactions: cc

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Wouldn't in a million years trade Eriksson's contract for Lucic's. Eriksson is playing like a 3rd liner. Lucic is playing like a 12th/13th forward. And he has that extra year. Plus he's an unlikeable dickbag.

His contract is also pretty buyout proof. If you wanna trade-and-buyout, the guy to target is Bobby Ryan. Honestly though, IMO the thing to do is ride Eriksson out until the team is ready to contend again and then toss him somewhere with a small sweetener. In terms of cash, he's owed $9M over the last 3 years of his contract, and like $3M over the last 2 years. It should be possible.

Last edited:

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
All the bet forwards Benning acquired have not lived up to expectations except vanek and he was the perfect type of signing this team needed. Veteran scorer, one year deal, no trade protection. Perfect to trade for assets.

Sutter, Eriksson, gagner failing massively. All guys with term and or trade protection.

Funny how that works huh?

Incentive, what a concept.

On the other hand, I don't buy the new injury, just like I don't buy Erikson forgot how to play hockey over the course of one summer.

He's taking the team for a ride and has been since day one,

I've said it before, but I think Aqua could take Erikson to court and WIN, there is a mountain of evidence that Erikson singed that deal in bad faith

The best way to deal with that contract is to STOP PAYING IT and let the matter play out in court

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Lucic is 1000 x better than Erikson

Louis Erikson is little better than a thief and a con-man,

He stopped trying the moment the ink dried

He is the OPPOSITE of a "Character player"

This is the kind of guy you want to keep away from your young players and out of your dressing room.

He's poison,

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
His contract is also pretty buyout proof....

In terms of cash, he's owed $9M over the last 3 years of his contract, and like $3M over the last 2 years. It should be possible.

He's owed:

5 million in 19/20 (4mil signing bonus/1mil actual salary)
4 million in 20/21 (3mil signing bonus/1mil actual salary)
4 million in 21/22 (1mil signing bonus/3mil actual salary)

I think the only time it really becomes palpable to another team to take on is after we pay out his signing bonus in year 5. Then he's owed 5 million. At that point he'll be 35 though and his game may just fall off even more then older he gets.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
He's owed:

5 million in 19/20 (4mil signing bonus/1mil actual salary)
4 million in 20/21 (3mil signing bonus/1mil actual salary)
4 million in 21/22 (1mil signing bonus/3mil actual salary)

I think the only time it really becomes palpable to another team to take on is after we pay out his signing bonus in year 5. Then he's owed 5 million. At that point he'll be 35 though and his game may just fall off even more then older he gets.

Right so my understanding is signing bonuses get paid on July 1st. So on July 2nd, 2019 he will be owed $9M more over 3 years.

If Dion Phaneuf is movable, then that is also movable.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Right so my understanding is signing bonuses get paid on July 1st. So on July 2nd, 2019 he will be owed $9M more over 3 years.

If Dion Phaneuf is movable, then that is also movable.
I agree, all players are moveable. However, moving Eriksson probably means the Canucks are taking a terrible contract back from someone.

He was coming off a 30 goal season, in real time this wasn't a bad signing. Looking back now, it's terrible but you don't have that benefit in real time.

Looks like the buy out would be way too expensive, until his last year.

Were stuck with Loui. Plus, Benning more than likely thinks he's had a great year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad