Player Discussion Loui Eriksson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It's why I don't think he'd be sent to the minors. Some team would take him at 50% retained for his 2-way defensive game. $3m/y is better than the $5m it would cost in the minors.
wait i think I'm wrong

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Doubt it, there are younger, cheaper 10-12 goal scorers who play with more passion for less than 3 million.

His value goes beyond goals. His goal history helped get him $6mil... the rest of his game plus history easily earn him $3mil/yr from a team out there if he was a UFA this season... even after his last two seasons cuz context matters.
Look what Boyle got. Cogliano. Hanzal. Sobotka even got $3.5. Hanzal is making 5.2 mil this yr! Bonino. Eaves. Brouwer.

GM’s will GM.

Not saying it’s right... but i’m pretty sure almost 30 teams would be interested in a $3mil Eriksson.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
His value goes beyond goals. His goal history helped get him $6mil... the rest of his game plus history easily earn him $3mil/yr from a team out there if he was a UFA this season... even after his last two seasons cuz context matters.
Look what Boyle got. Cogliano. Hanzal. Sobotka even got $3.5. Hanzal is making 5.2 mil this yr! Bonino. Eaves. Brouwer.

GM’s will GM.

Not saying it’s right... but i’m pretty sure almost 30 teams would be interested in a $3mil Eriksson.

For one year at age 33, possibly. He has four years left the final season being at age 36. For a player already regressing, the risk of further regression would mean taking on even half of this contract for a bag of pucks is a risk that I think many general managers would decline to take.

Reactions: geebaan

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Deep Dive: What Happened to Loui Eriksson?

Great read on Loui.

If you try to look past the horrible contract, and It is horrible:
657.$600,000 per goal
541.$260,870 per point
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
TLDR verison of the article;
- It seems he was signed with out understanding of how he got to the production he did get with Boston.
(Mainly as a PP net front presence on a PP that generates a ton of rebounds.)
- As a result he has seen deployment that doesn't let him do the things he does well.
(Only Boeser generates a meaningful number of rebounds on the nucks roster.)
- He has decent possession metrics.
- He has not been a offensive driver since he left Dallas.

I was dabbling on a "What do we actually have in Loui Eriksson" thread but this article on CanucksArmy does what ever I would have done much much better.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Deep Dive: What Happened to Loui Eriksson?

Great read on Loui.

If you try to look past the horrible contract, and It is horrible:
657.$600,000 per goal
541.$260,870 per point
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
TLDR verison of the article;
- It seems he was signed with out understanding of how he got to the production he did get with Boston.
(Mainly as a PP net front presence on a PP that generates a ton of rebounds.)
- As a result he has seen deployment that doesn't let him do the things he does well.
(Only Boeser generates a meaningful number of rebounds on the nucks roster.)
- He has decent possession metrics.
- He has not been a offensive driver since he left Dallas.

I was dabbling on a "What do we actually have in Loui Eriksson" thread but this article on CanucksArmy does what ever I would have done much much better.

Good article. Eriksson can't be utilized well on a team that stinks. He can't generate offense by himself, he was always an accessory player, a guy like that could pick up some garbage around the net with good linemates at ES and tons of PP time. Those players were supposed to be the Sedins, but he came rolling into town right as they started to decline, they aren't that many players on this team that can accessorize him. Instead, he has to play a penalty killing/checking role because as sad as it is, that's the best way he can contribute to the team.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Eriksson always the type of center that needs a playmaking center. His best seasons was with Richards, Ribeiro and Krejci. Part of reason why Eriksson struggle so much is because he doesn't have that center here. If he can play with Pettersson and assuming Canucks get second line center. I see Eriksson getting 20 to 25 goals.

Reactions: Ryan Miller*

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks need a playmaking center, no question! Eriksson will always be a poor investment but it can be mitigated, somewhat, with proper deployment, including a set up man.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Eriksson always the type of center that needs a playmaking center. His best seasons was with Richards, Ribeiro and Krejci. Part of reason why Eriksson struggle so much is because he doesn't have that center here. If he can play with Pettersson and assuming Canucks get second line center. I see Eriksson getting 20 to 25 goals.

Its not even that. Read the Canucksarmy article for more specific information.
But basically he does his damage by being really good at getting to rebounds on the PP and putting them in. Our PP doesn't generate any.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Yeah, all Eriksson needs is [looks at notes] a centre who produces at the level of a first line player, super simple to accomplish.

This is exactly what people were saying when we signed him—the guy is a passenger on a line and we didn't have the players in their prime that he could compliment.

His best seasons were also in his mid-20's. Strange how players seem to produce progressively worse after about 30.

Reactions: geebaan

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
The strangest thing about Eriksson is that he's never shown an ounce of personality once in his entire stay here. This franchise has gone through some pretty quiet players, but Eriksson really takes the cake. At least you can say one word about Alex Edler's personality: "serious." I dunno if you could even call Eriksson serious considering he looks like a lackadaisical clown on the ice most of the time. I have no idea still who he is.

With that being said, I still predict a better year for him next season, if we can surround him with more speed and youth to hide his own slow foot speed. You have to think the Sedins' departure, and his new tenure as perhaps THE veteran forward on the team would thrust him more into the spotlight.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Much like Benning's acquisition of Gudbranson, Eriksson looks worse on this team than he really is (not that he's great player by any stretch of the imagination).

That is all on Benning. He knew there was only really one proven playmaking center when he signed him (actually maybe two but he dealt that one for the nonplaymaking center Sutter). Similiar to Gudbranson (who likely requires a similiar D than who he was paired with when he had any success with the Panthers).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Eriksson for an expensive right sided defenseman.

Obviously, moving Eriksson will be difficult given his cap hit. I still think the Canucks have a way out from his contract in two years. 31 of 36 million will have been paid to Erikssson, and so Eriksson can either be traded to a cap floor team or be sent to the minors a la Alex Mogilny where he then chooses to retire.

However - if neither of these options are realistic or feasible, then I suggest that the Canucks try and trade Eriksson for an expensive right sided defenseman. A guy like Dion Phaneuf comes to mind. Not sure I’d be willing to do Shea Weber or Brent Seabrook however since those contracts are a little *too* long.

Atleast with a guy like Phaneuf, he would help us in a position where we desperately need help (right side defense). With Boeser and Virtanen on our top two lines, I don’t think the Canucks really need Eriksson.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Eriksson was signed partly because it was thought some chemistry existed with the Sedins on Team Sweden. Sedins were declining and Benning thought Eriksson would help mitigate that. The term led me to think the club would extend the Sedins or else they'd be stuck with him for years. A useful breakdown would be "Cost of Sedin line minutes over the life of the contract".

Anyway, Canucks are stuck with this guy. Best hope is that he has some leadership. I think he is useful, he can play on any line but he is grossly expensive.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Eriksson was signed partly because it was thought some chemistry existed with the Sedins on Team Sweden. Sedins were declining and Benning thought Eriksson would help mitigate that. The term led me to think the club would extend the Sedins or else they'd be stuck with him for years. A useful breakdown would be "Cost of Sedin line minutes over the life of the contract".

Anyway, Canucks are stuck with this guy. Best hope is that he has some leadership. I think he is useful, he can play on any line but he is grossly expensive.

Ya. I have no idea what happened to Eriksson. He was steady performer basically his entire career minus his first year in Boston when he suffered a concussion. His downside should have been that of a 20+ goal 45+ point player.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
By the time Pettersson becomes a full time center if ever Loui's contract will be about done and he will be done.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Ya. I have no idea what happened to Eriksson. He was steady performer basically his entire career minus his first year in Boston when he suffered a concussion. His downside should have been that of a 20+ goal 45+ point player.

I linked an article where this was analyzed in detail.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
It was a gamble that did not pay off.He will be one of the highest paid on the Canucks next season.I would be ok,with him if he looked like he gave a s-it,,,but half the time he looks dis interested and could not care less.Id buy out this contract in a heart beat.

Reactions: Doyle Hargraves

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
It's ironic how one of Benning's very few acquisitions that actually had historical precedence on its side (Eriksson's playing well with the twins for Tre Kronor) failed so spectacularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad