Looking Back at the Leafs two years ago and what it means for rebuilding teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Yes the Leafs are elite, I get it, you are a Leafs hater but they have anelite offense, an elite goalie and an elite PK unit, and they sit 4 points out of 1st overall.

Therefore they are elite

Is Boston elite? I'm a Bruin's fan, not a leafs hater. I've gotten a bad rap on here.

I think the Leafs are very good, I just don't toss around the term "elite team" lightly.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Is Boston elite? I'm a Bruin's fan, not a leafs hater. I've gotten a bad rap on here.

I think the Leafs are very good, I just don't toss around the term "elite team" lightly.

Well when asked what considered elite teams I said the top 6 in the NHL, and the Pens, because they are the Pens, so yes Boston is currently elite as they are in that group of 7.

Any bad rap you have on here is probably earned, I am guessing you bash the Leafs a lot.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Well when asked what considered elite teams I said the top 6 in the NHL, and the Pens, because they are the Pens, so yes Boston is currently elite as they are in that group of 7.

Any bad rap you have on here is probably earned, I am guessing you bash the Leafs a lot.

See I don't deserve it though. You guys are just very sensitive.

The worst thing I've said is "leaf's suck" just like I've said "habs suck" a million times over.

Edit: There isn't a contingent of habs fans that follow me around calling me a hater though lol.

Last edited:

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

Once they had that foundation in place, they focused on asset acquisition. They took on bad contract after bad contract, gained assets for taking the bad contracts through various means. They signed cheap UFAs for short term then traded them at the deadline. They signed as many players as they could from overseas. If there was a way to squeeze a 7th round pick from the cap space left, they did it.

Many GMs said they would do that, but none of them did, except that Leafs GM did. It is because those moves are similar to buying lottery tickets with real money. No single owner will approve that.

Last edited:

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
There is no guarantee tanking is always successful. Take a look at the Sabres. They were supposedly "years ahead of the Leafs in their rebuild" at 2015 McEichel draft. Three seasons later they're still "rebuilding".
There was a poll thread on here in 2014 or 15. It was who has a brighter future, listed the management groups, top 8 current players and top 8 prospects. Buffalo won by landslide and the thread was closed.

3 years later they are still fighting with the Oilers and Coyotes for the #1 pick.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada

The worst thing I've said is "leaf's suck" just like I've said "habs suck" a million times over.

Edit: There isn't a contingent of habs fans that follow me around calling me a hater though lol.

It is factually incorrect to say the Leafs suck whereas it is factually correct to say the Habs suck.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
It’s not that other teams should look at what the leafs have done the last 14 years and copy them.

Leaf fans agree the organization has been a tire fire.

We’re specifically saying to look at what the current management team has been able to acccomplish in a mere 2-3 seasons.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
At 37-20-5 with 20 games remaining..statistically speaking this team is on pace to become the best regular season team in franchise history. As everyone may or may not know the Leafs best season on record was in the 2003-04 season where they finished with a 45-24-10-3 record and 103 points.

Any way you cut it this teams turn around has been nothing short of spectacular. The Leafs made the playoffs with a 26-17-5 record in the shortened season in 2013 but were back to mediocrity the following season, right in that 75-85 point range that they've been in pretty much ever since that 2003-04 franchise best season.

The Maple Leafs reached even new lows in the 2014-15 season with a 68 point season followed by a 69 point and dead last season in 2015-16. But then it all changed, we won Matthews and management brought up Marner and Nylander who had been developing, the result was an incredible injection of talent and a 40-27-15, 95 point season along with a close series against the Presidents Trophy winning Capitals.

You look up and down at this Maple Leafs team/in the system and anyone with half a brain will admit that this franchise is entering a new era, did Toronto get lucky with striking gold in the 2014 (Nylander), 2015 (Marner) and 2016 (Matthews) drafts? damn right they did. Nobody is denying that. To hit bang on in three straight drafts like that can set a franchise up for the next 15+ years.

You can attribute the Leafs recent success to luck but also great management to dump Clarkson/Phaneuf without retaining any salary, to dump Kessel for Kapanen, to make the right moves at the draft selections, to understand that depth is key to being competitive, getting Marleau..having the wisdom to recognize Freddy Andersen as a quality elite goalie and get him out of Anaheim etc etc.

Sabres and Oilers management can most definitely sit down and learn a lot from the Maple Leafs. This might be blind bias and loyalty talking but I'd be willing to wager that the Oilers and Sabres would both be higher in the standings if Lou/Shanny/Babs were in charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: leafsfan2point0

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
If the Leafs have a regression year in 18-19, and Edmonton gets their act together, do you think we'll see a mirror image of this thread a year from now?

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
If the Leafs have a regression year in 18-19, and Edmonton gets their act together, do you think we'll see a mirror image of this thread a year from now?

We more than likely would, but I wouldn’t count on Toronto going the Edmonton route next year. Hell, I don’t think Edmonton will continue this path next season either (I think they’ll at least challenge for a playoff spot).

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Sure is a lot of backpatting here from the Leafs - tanking for Matthews has done them wonders and is a huge part of this, but to try rub it in other franchise faces after sucking for so long can be irksome.

Can't fault the Nylander/Marner drafts though, and to be fair management has gotten a lot better since the burke/nonis days.

I actually really enjoy watching the Leafs, though I find the less I read mainboards the more I like the Leafs (I wonder why!)

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

When the Leafs go on a small losing streak we get threads dedicated to how bad they are. The Leafs are always news regardless of whether they are playing well or not.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga

I hope a discussion like that takes place, will be interesting to see how Edmonton resolves the predicament they are in. Currently they are a collection of top picks and a bunch of heavy guys because of West reasons. Perhaps they'll build a team the next time around. Edmonton strikes me as a team built by HF posters.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham

You said the Leafs suck and we are 6th over all league wide. You said Habs suck and they are close to buck naked last in the league. Yet you still wonder why leaf fans call you out for that while Have fans stay quiet?

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
You said the Leafs suck and we are 6th over all league wide. You said Habs suck and they are close to buck naked last in the league. Yet you still wonder why leaf fans call you out for that while Have fans stay quiet?

In years past, years where the Habs actually accomplished you know, anything. I told them they sucked, they didn't get sad or upset. They just told me the bruins are goons and that Marchand sucks and we understood it was a rivalry.

They are bad this year but they've done more in the last decade + than the leafs have.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
How can non-Leaf fans seriously make the claim the 2009 Leafs were in a rebuild? They signed two veteran UFA D-Men and traded 2 firsts and a second for an established player.
And the GM says he's "Going for it". How the heck is that included as a rebuild?
Arz went out and got Stepan and Hjalmersson and they are clearly still rebuilding...

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I hope a discussion like that takes place, will be interesting to see how Edmonton resolves the predicament they are in. Currently they are a collection of top picks and a bunch of heavy guys because of West reasons. Perhaps they'll build a team the next time around. Edmonton strikes me as a team built by HF posters.

I think half HF, half brain-dead GM.
HF Moves: Tank like crazy, get a bunch of 1st overalls, top 10 picks.
Brain-dead GM: Move a young talented scorers for team gaps, sign expensive players to replace young talent.

Edmonton's in tough spot to dig out their hole. Guys are getting paid; some guys are totally worth it (McDavid) other guys aren't (Nuge, Lucic, Sekera).

That all being said, Toronto has a decent chance at pulling an Oil season.
How familiar is this:
Their goalie was playing at a Vezina level. They had a few young guys putting up great, great numbers and scoring a lot of goals. Their defense had no real number one, Klefbom was called a 1D because reasons. They were a team that bled scoring chances (bottom 6 in regular and HD), top 10 PDO (top 10 SV%, SH%).

You can literally change the name Klefbom to Rielly and I could be describing the Leafs.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Arz went out and got Stepan and Hjalmersson and they are clearly still rebuilding...
I'm not sure that was their plan. I think they hoped to be playing like they are now. Lots of teams (us included) try to win and end up doing poorly. I'd say Arizona I no more rebuilding than the Oilers are.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I think half HF, half brain-dead GM.
HF Moves: Tank like crazy, get a bunch of 1st overalls, top 10 picks.
Brain-dead GM: Move a young talented scorers for team gaps, sign expensive players to replace young talent.

Edmonton's in tough spot to dig out their hole. Guys are getting paid; some guys are totally worth it (McDavid) other guys aren't (Nuge, Lucic, Sekera).

That all being said, Toronto has a decent chance at pulling an Oil season.
How familiar is this:
Their goalie was playing at a Vezina level. They had a few young guys putting up great, great numbers and scoring a lot of goals. Their defense had no real number one, Klefbom was called a 1D because reasons. They were a team that bled scoring chances (bottom 6 in regular and HD), top 10 PDO (top 10 SV%, SH%).

You can literally change the name Klefbom to Rielly and I could be describing the Leafs.

So true, and while I freely admit I am biased here, I believe the key difference between the two teams is that the Leafs have depth and most of the depth players were promoted from the Marlies. They are a team that is more than top picks and a hot goalie of all the same general age group. The Oilers fell short after the top picks in my opinion. It's definitely possible there will be a regression from the Leafs but I think they have a better foundation overall because of how they built the team as a whole. They didn't throw all their top picks to the sharks at 18 years old and surround them by slow vets.

Edmonton needs an identity.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Step 1: tank for years
Step 2: luck into elite talent (Matthews)
Step 3: repeat steps 1+2 until decent roster/prospect pool is achieved
Step 4: pay $$$ for good coach
Step 5: boast endlessly on HFBoards.

Well the tank part isn't true....they were just bad. And unbelievable under Ferguson, Burke and Nonis, they still spend close to the cap.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So true, and while I freely admit I am biased here, I believe the key difference between the two teams is that the Leafs have depth and most of the depth players were promoted from the Marlies. They are a team that is more than top picks and a hot goalie of all the same general age group. The Oilers fell short after the top picks in my opinion. It's definitely possible there will be a regression from the Leafs but I think they have a better foundation overall because of how they built the team as a whole. They didn't throw all their top picks to the sharks at 18 years old and surround them by slow vets.

Edmonton needs an identity.

I do personally think the Leafs will be a good team again next year; but throwing stones in a home that's fairly glassy at this time is a pretty shit idea.

Edmonton's current identity is being a bad franchise. The identity can't be 'McDavid' either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad