Looking Back at the Leafs two years ago and what it means for rebuilding teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
What's ironic is the Leafs are only 5 points back from having the best record in the entire NHL. You know, it's the Leafs, the team you believe is so far from cup contention...
You scoffed at the Leafs being 1 good Dman away from being an elite contender. Please advise how many players they are away then.

Look at TB and you'll know how far away you are...

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
If I were you I'd be careful what I wish for.

He might be a Jets fan, in that case it would be amazing for all of us. I will take a Cup Final appearance this year against the Jets even if we do not come out victorious.

Reactions: bionic

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Thanks for this...it's unbelievable how many games lost bruins have experienced not to mention how many games on hand they hold over the entire NHL. Hope we can revisit this end of year before playoffs start.
The Bruins have a really bad schedule to close the season compared to the Leafs. it's not a big disadvantage not having the Leafs schedule at this point.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
He might be a Jets fan, in that case it would be amazing for all of us. I will take a Cup Final appearance this year against the Jets even if we do not come out victorious.
Yeah your right. I think I totally misread that....lol. That would be an amazing final

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
You really love to argue for the sake of arguing. His statement wasn't wrong. We're not talking point paces. We're talking actual points produced. Is it the Leafs players fault they've played 1-5 more games than other teams around the league?

No, I am making a point that isolating numbers from important context makes for skewed conclusions.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Thanks for this...it's unbelievable how many games lost bruins have experienced not to mention how many games on hand they hold over the entire NHL. Hope we can revisit this end of year before playoffs start.

Thank you. :thumbu:

I believe that only the Ducks have lost more men games than the Bruins. I mean, it was like this a bunch of games ago, I doubt things changed.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No, I am making a point that isolating numbers from important context makes for skewed conclusions.
I find the spin interesting that the Bruins are so disadvantaged by their schedule. They have had it very easy. It gets harder from here. The Leafs have a chance to catch Boston and Tampa if you view the last month of the season.
Ice-time is just as important as GP. That affects PPG.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
You do understand that the reason the Leafs have played so many games is because of a crazy schedule they have had up to this point. When you constantly play 3 games in 4 nights and back to back games it's harder to win the games on the back end. It's one of the reasons that Babcock has not been playing his stars big minutes. Yet despite the hectic and cramped schedule the leafs have still continued to win.

This is not what I was talking about though. What I was talking about is that one can't say "we're 5 points from the top" and completely disregard that each of the teams ahead has a potential of getting another 4-8 points.

Here's some context: the difference between the team with the highest points % (= Boston @ 707, so obviously 1st in the league) and the Leafs (= 637, 6th), is basically the same between the Leafs and the Flames (= 566), who are 18th. That's a difference of 11 points. Food for thought.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This is not what I was talking about though. What I was talking about is that one can't say "we're 5 points from the top" and completely disregard that each of the teams ahead has a potential of getting another 4-8 points.

Here's some context: the difference between the team with the highest points % (= Boston @ 707, so obviously 1st in the league) and the Leafs (= 637, 6th), is basically the same between the Leafs and the Flames (= 566), who are 18th. That's a difference of 11 points. Food for thought.

The comment was in reference to someone bragging about "Only" being 7 points from the Leafs. I thought it was an interesting comparison.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
1 I find the spin interesting that the Bruins are so disadvantaged by their schedule. They have had it very easy. It gets harder from here. The Leafs have a chance to catch Boston and Tampa if you view the last month of the season.
2 Ice-time is just as important as GP. That affects PPG.

1. This has literally nothing to do with anything I wrote.

2. This is true. However, as I already told you - please don't make me repeat myself - I believe that ice time for the top 10 producers of each team is probably very close.
If you think that there's a huge difference (say I don't know... The Leafs guys playing all 15 minutes and everyone else instead playing 20 minutes) just research it, post it and I will comment on it after I double check it.

But by the way, if "Ice-time is just as important as GP", why didn't you mention the difference in games played ("GP") by all these top teams' best 10 points producers when you proclaimed that the Leafs top 10 points producers were "better than anyone"?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Edmonton's had terrible asset management but I still expect them to get it together next season.

Buffalo went completely scorched earth and got rid of ****ing everyone for picks. A **** ton of those picks have yet to work out and Buffalo is likely one of the least popular UFA destinations in the entire league.

Toronto kept enough veterans, sold off what they needed to, tanked at the right time and got lucky as **** in the draft lottery. It was the perfect mix.

ygft8.jpg

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Everything is interesting. I like a hockey debate and seeing other folks' opinions.
Yeah but I provided fact along with the opinion that GP isn't the be all and end all. If someone plays less ice-time that can make up for 2-4 less games easily.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Wrong again! I am not a Oilers fan at all...check my past posts.

I'll give you a hint; my team is only 7 points behind with 2 games in hand and also didn't humiliate themselves with a "tank" and embarrass themselves and their fans over and over again with high draft picks...

LMAO!

Hey BO, Leafs are already a elite top 5 team!

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Yes but they can demand a pretty significant price?

Stop trying to stir up something that isn't an issue, the Leafs will get Marner/Nylander at 5-6 million and Matthews at 8-10 million, all three will be locked up at a combined 20-22 million which is entirely sustainable. Kapanen will get the 2 million-ish that Brown and Hyman are on and we already have Kadri and Rielly locked up until 2023 on relatively modest deals. Leafs can always also dump Bozak and his 4.2 million or JVR and his 4.25 million..Leafs already have cheap internal replacements for these guys. Andreas Johnsson on the Marlies is lighting it up and is already considered JVR's future replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad