London Knights 2023 - 24 Season Thread (Part Three)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015
We have to move some 04's this year. No way the Hunters roll into next season with 8 on the roster. 04's will lose value coming into next season as we will be forced to do it and we will not get as much back as we would now.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
It will be interesting to see who returns to the lineup tonight against the Colts: Julien? Cowan? Bonk?
McCue still has another game to serve on his 3-game suspension.

Knights boast the OHL's top PP @ 34% and the PK is 2nd overall @ 84.2%.
Barrie's PK is last overall @ 68.8%.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
We have to move some 04's this year. No way the Hunters roll into next season with 8 on the roster. 04's will lose value coming into next season as we will be forced to do it and we will not get as much back as we would now.
Let's take a look at those 8 '04s:

1.Julien * possible OA (but could turn pro)
2.S. Boulton: GONE
3.Gazizov * an OA Import, unlikely I would think.
4.Sim * possible OA
5.George: SIGNED, will play pro.
6.Leonard * possible OA
7.Edward: SIGNED, will play pro.
8.Willmore * possible OA

Those 8 can get trimmed quite quickly. However, if we consider possible trades, someone who'd have trade value, it would be J. Edward (but I'd be surprised if he gets moved).
Julien, Gazizov, Sim, George and possibly Edward too important for this year's run to be dealt.
S. Boulton: no reason to keep him as an OA.
Leonard a 'maybe' to be traded, but doubtful...not much trade value.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Don't underestimate the Hunters ability to squeeze other GM like it's fantasy league! lol

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Imagine winterton comes back from the AHL only player 24 games so far 11 points does it happen probably not but imagine 🤯. Could Mark pick up the rights to tucker Robertson?🤯

Last edited:

dino200022

I love Woolley and think he should get regular minutes, but to downgrade our D to do so seems like it wouldn’t make sense for the trajectory of this team.

So our D is deep:

Bonk, Dickinson, George, Edward are as good of a top 4 as any. If we could get a vet to play on that 3rd pair with Woolley, Jenkin , Fagen and Brz?
Speaking of Brz I think it’s hard to take him out of the line up he can play forward as well as any. That versatility is too valuable
I honestly think at this point he is a far better forward...keep him up there even if it is on the 4th line and let Woolley and Leonard e the 3rd pair. Bursty can fill in where needed.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Halttunen has not dominated at this level, he can use another year of seasoning to improve his even strength play against peers. He then gets top line minutes at the WJC.

Last year he proved that playing in a men’s league too early stunted his growth. He could get a cup of coffee in the AHL but I think he finishes in junior. A lot can happen between now and then.

Reactions: Starry Knight

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Halttunnen should be back. Now considering Sim isn’t signed I suppose he should as well. Does anyone know if Julien is signed? He could probably play in the A next season. Agreed Ustinkov would be a nice add if he would come?

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Julien is not signed. Ustinkov in all likelihood should come to demonstrate he can play a North American game against his peer group for his draft year. He could stay in the Swiss pro league but it’s harder to showcase, as of now he is in the discussion as an A prospect so it may not matter where he plays.

Looking at Halttunen, would he have improved his draft stock if he was in London rather than Jokreit in his draft year…… Yes!

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Julien is not signed. Ustinkov in all likelihood should come to demonstrate he can play a North American game against his peer group for his draft year. He could stay in the Swiss pro league but it’s harder to showcase, as of now he is in the discussion as an A prospect so it may not matter where he plays.

Looking at Halttunen, would he have improved his draft stock if he was in London rather than Jokreit in his draft year…… Yes!
Agreed Halttunnen might have been a 1st rounder if he came to London last year

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Julien plays the rest of this season like he did this last month, he'll likely not be coming back.
Same for Halttunnen, since he was not drafted as a Knight, he'll turn pro as well, I also think Halttunnen is good for another 30 goals in the last half of this season. In my opinion of course

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Is this Owen beck deal to Saginaw been confirmed yet, anyone knows?
Not confirmed yet...

Reactions: zman77 and Fastpace

Wifi

Sep 21, 2023

Ustinkov is draft eligible this year. Being a left handed defensive defenseman he might partner well with Brzustewicz on the second/third pairing

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I watched the Finland games to see how the national team used Halttunen vs how he's utilized with the Knights. As it turns out, not much difference. Same spot on the PP where he sets up for the one-timer. He also does not skate the puck up ice, instead that's what his linemates do. He waits until they set up in the offensive zone. Makes sense though given his particular skill set.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Ustinkov is draft eligible this year. Being a left handed defensive defenseman he might partner well with Brzustewicz on the second/third pairing

Good catch 17 not 16. So similar boat to Halttunen coming over after the draft.

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
I watched the Finland games to see how the national team used Halttunen vs how he's utilized with the Knights. As it turns out, not much difference. Same spot on the PP where he sets up for the one-timer. He also does not skate the puck up ice, instead that's what his linemates do. He waits until they set up in the offensive zone. Makes sense though given his particular skill set.
Letang could have taken notes vs Rehkopf with Canada, SMH.

Reactions: sbpointer

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Julien plays the rest of this season like he did this last month, he'll likely not be coming back.
There's the possibility that his education situation could have an influence on his return. I understand that he's currently enrolled in an Engineering program at Western, and his hockey was a somewhat secondary preoccupation. He could come back to get his degree, while still playing for the Knights, and then graduate to the NHL with the bonus of an Engineering degree in hand. Not too many OHL players exhibit higher academic performances while actively devoting time to hockey. Back in the day, Dave Simpson managed to get his MBA degree while playing for the Knights.

dino200022

There's the possibility that his education situation could have an influence on his return. I understand that he's currently enrolled in an Engineering program at Western, and his hockey was a somewhat secondary preoccupation. He could come back to get his degree, while still playing for the Knights, and then graduate to the NHL with the bonus of an Engineering degree in hand. Not too many OHL players exhibit higher academic performances while actively devoting time to hockey. Back in the day, Dave Simpson managed to get his MBA degree while playing for the Knights.

I would second this, his engineering degree is still very much his highest priority so fully expect him to come back unless he is making the Show...or the Jets can somehow have him play and do his schooling at the same time in the A which is probably not high on their list. He is a very smart individual and it most certainly translates in his play. Lets also not forget that he has only played in 75 regular season OHL games, with the first 45 of those coming in a a very limited role. Another year in the O would probably do him a world of wonder anyways IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad