London Knights 2023 - 24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
7-4 win over Windsor

Not pretty, but, a win is a win, they out to know now Windsor is not going to be easy on Friday

Reactions: Geff

Ken Yates

Jan 15, 2019
Our win against Soo last Friday was the key...Saginaw was not going to win their last 5. Two home games against a bad team and an average team looks positive. First overall will be huge although Knights are just as good on road as home. Special teams have been our reason for our success.

Reactions: zman77

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I will take the match up of us playing Kitchener in the 2nd round vs the Sault. Both are tough teams, but have more confidence in playing them. Let's get the # 1 seed!
No preference, may it be by Knights or other teams, they all needs to be ousted at one time or another to move on and be champions

Reactions: rve24

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Was hoping Medvedev would get a start but with first on the line I not sure he gets a start.
Tram looks confident and driven Gazizov looks like a man on a mission I hope someone in the NHL notice him too

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Playoff lines:

Scoring - Gaz, Cowan and Barkey
Shutdown/Cycle/Physical - Lawrence, SIM, McCue
Scoring 2 Julien, O’Reilly and Halttunnen
Physical 4th mix of Boultons, BRZ, Van Gorp and Nicholl

Reactions: TheCoach and Geff

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
Yes, he's a liability on the ice. You should check out his plus/minus as a member of a powerhouse team! Most of us don't want him in the lineup. We can ice a much better 4th line with him watching from the pressbox.
I don't think Dale can hear you with his two Memorial Cup rings plugging his ears.

Reactions: TheCoach

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't think Dale can hear you with his two Memorial Cup rings plugging his ears.
I didn't realize that a coach's successes make him immune to any criticism. A more intelligent response would have been to address the points that I made. Did I err in noting that the 4th line with SB has proven to be a liability or in noting his plus minus? If you would like to make an argument defending the 4th line's positive contributions, I'm all ears. I have seen the 4th line get absolutely dominated by the opposition especially when the opposition coach can get his top line out there. One of my concerns is that the 4th line will ice the puck on the road in the playoffs, and the other team's top line hops over the boards leading to a goal. Maybe I just think too much.

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
I didn't realize that a coach's successes make him immune to any criticism. A more intelligent response would have been to address the points that I made. Did I err in noting that the 4th line with SB has proven to be a liability or in noting his plus minus? If you would like to make an argument defending the 4th line's positive contributions, I'm all ears. I have seen the 4th line get absolutely dominated by the opposition especially when the opposition coach can get his top line out there. One of my concerns is that the 4th line will ice the puck on the road in the playoffs, and the other team's top line hops over the boards leading to a goal. Maybe I just think too much.
Take a breath my friend...no need to get all huffy. All I'm saying is Dale knows what he is doing that's why he's there and why we are not. Sure there are better players that Dale can suit up over Sawyer and one of them is his brother. But Dale has played him over those players because he brings something they don't. Do I agree with everything the kid does out there...no....do I think he brings something to the team that adds value....yes. It has been discussed to death how some of us belive he adds value and the others that don't so I'm not going to get into that again...and again....and again. But feel free to bring up the same complaint about him and I will continue to steal lines from Patrick Roy. Have a wonderful evening. 😉

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
The players rotated in on the 4th line have produced some positives, and a lot of frustration lol.. Some ya can quantify, some you can't.
This isn't a 4th line of a pair rooks in Anderson/Horvat centered by a 2nd yr Tierney ( Damm that was a deep squad )
I agree it's mostly been a net loss ( mostly mostly mostly I'll say lol) with the 4th line out there. From a pure #s POV.
From a NON numbers perspective. ( development of youngings getting PT (VanGorp, the other Boulton lol) intimidation....whatever non qualitative stuff......maybe or maybe not there has been a few positives to go with the obvious negatives) And they still won games at a rate only a couple teams did this year. Kept winning in spite of a weak stats 4th line. The Hunters have always adjusted, and this year its to a squad that ain't 12 deep up front.
Kids got needed acclimation to the O, PT, meathead ran around.......I can take both those over some of the bodies that have burned a card over the last 3/4 years easy as far as a roster spot.

And come POs #s will be what drives the decisions made most of the time. This team isn't 12 Fs deep you can roll. They will be more protected/sheltered than during reg. season and "someone" won't dress every game, but whoever dresses, the minutes/role will shrink and so will road usage. JMO.
Just hoping the top 9 Fs take care between games lol cause they won't be getting a ton of help in close games.

And agreed if the 4th line can't get in a quick forecheck on the attack the play dies, gets turned back the other way and defending is a big challenge.

Last edited:

purple pharrt

Jan 23, 2024
sec 107 r2
Regarding Sawyer Bolton.....allow me to play Devil's Advocate here. My argument is distilled down to simple mathematics.
Let's assume that SB gets engaged in a fight 2-5-10 for a total of 17 minutes, 5 of which have to be killed off.
It's almost a given, that ANY player who got the 5 for fighting is numerically more important to their team, than is Sawyer.
Trade-off with virtually ANY opponent favours the Knights.
Trade-off is significantly enhanced, if his opponent happened to be key player in their offense.

His reputation does proceed him, and his on-ice presence does influence how those opposing players adapt. They tend to "keep their heads up" and are more concerned with avoiding hits, than creating offensive plays.

Now, what other player in the league with similar scoring stats, brings as much to a game ???

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Regarding Sawyer Bolton.....allow me to play Devil's Advocate here. My argument is distilled down to simple mathematics.
Let's assume that SB gets engaged in a fight 2-5-10 for a total of 17 minutes, 5 of which have to be killed off.
It's almost a given, that ANY player who got the 5 for fighting is numerically more important to their team, than is Sawyer.
Trade-off is significantly enhanced, if his opponent happened to be key player in their offense.

His reputation does proceed him, and his on-ice presence does influence how those opposing players adapt. They tend to "keep their heads up" and are more concerned with avoiding hits, than creating offensive plays.

Now, what other player in the league with similar scoring stats, brings as much to a game ???
Just responding to the bolded part........I think the original point was that the numbers actually do suggest teams are more offensive when he is on the ice. And I agree, the numbers are there. The eye test and stats sheet are there.
Now I can get behind maybe there are other things he can add to a room, team PR individual teammates I'm all good. Creating offense isn't hard when he is on the ice for the opponents

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Sawyer Bolton- his value is far more important outside the the boards than inside the boards. What he does for the team has little consequence compared to what his father brings to the team. The boys playing for the team will have long term value going into the future.

Reactions: rve24

TheOrangePylon

Jan 4, 2023
London, ON
Sawyer Bolton- his value is far more important outside the the boards than inside the boards. What he does for the team has little consequence compared to what his father brings to the team. The boys playing for the team will have long term value going into the future.
Players like the Boulton's also do a ton for a team morale wise, these type of players are glue to a team. Teammates love them, because they know they have their back. Listening to some of the Knights social media videos they do, talking to players. The players are always saying the Boulton's names answering the questions, because they are well liked teammates.

Anyway, just my two cents on how they bring more to the table then just having a father with some influence.

Reactions: Otto and sbpointer

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
All players regardless of position, line or talent are members of the London Knights hockey team, as they are, they will win believing or lose not believing. Win or lose, they are all for one and one for all as they are, if you want a winning team, better hope their fourth line will do their part on the team in a coach provided team system that includes all members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad