Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It really depends the likely hood of 5 being better than zegras anytime soon is unlikely…. Especially if Demidov and celebrini are off the board.

Lindstrom has injury issues
Catton has potential but could just be newhook/krebs type
Eiserman is prob far from a type need for Montreal

Also meant caufield at first part.

Maybe if we win lottery and levshunov was on board, it’d be appealing
I would be comfortable with Celibrini, Demidov, Lindstrom or Catton at #5 (in that order).

A lot of people seem to sleep on Catton but he reminds me a bit of Smith last year. I agree with Eiserman, he should not get anywhere near #5. Lots of possible scenario but if Levshunov is still there at 5 and the other 4 I mentioned are gone there’s a good chance Montreal either trade the pick outright or move back, which I really hope they won’t do.

Maybe there’s a scenario out there where Montreal gets Zegras, team X gets the 5OA and Anaheim get a player they can use now. Just spitballing but Columbus/Jiricek could be that player/team since he asked for a trade.

Anyway, its all very speculative at this point. At the end of the day, I do think Montreal will end up picking at 5 and Zegras will stay in Anaheim

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
also true.

I just meant that fans in here claiming he isn't available 100% are out to lunch. Same for those on the other side...
Sure, I’ve been open to discussing the possibilities…

But I think offers like anderson, jets 1st and Harris is hilariously low

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
It is, but it won't be enough. Zegras value is over rated around league
Please give me an example where a player similar to Zegras was traded for a very late 1st and a cap dump. I’ll wait.

A 23 year old center with a 65 and 61 point season on 2 of the worst offenses in the NHL.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I would be comfortable with Celibrini, Demidov, Lindstrom or Catton at #5 (in that order).

A lot of people seem to sleep on Catton but he reminds me a bit of Smith last year. I agree with Eiserman, he should not get anywhere near #5. Lots of possible scenario but if Levshunov is still there at 5 and the other 4 I mentioned are gone there’s a good chance Montreal either trade the pick outright or move back, which I really hope they won’t do.

Maybe there’s a scenario out there where Montreal gets Zegras, team X gets the 5OA and Anaheim get a player they can use now. Just spitballing but Columbus/Jiricek could be that player/team since he asked for a trade.

Anyway, its all very speculative at this point. At the end of the day, I do think Montreal will end up picking at 5 and Zegras will stay in Anaheim

Don’t fully quote me on this because I might be miss remembering, but wasn’t columbus 1 of the rumored teams interested in zegras…. I imagine they’d just do jiricek for zegras

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Please give me an example where a player similar to Zegras was traded for a very late 1st and a cap dump. I’ll wait.

A 23 year old center with a 65 and 61 point season on 2 of the worst offenses in the NHL.
He can give examples of centers at his age getting tons of value …. All of them showing less than zegras and having much less potential than zegras

Krebs was a main piece in an eichel trade

Dach got a 13th + 66th

Newhook got #31 + #37

Gautheir got top young rhd + 2nd(while forcing a trade)

Middlestat got a young top rhd

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
True thats too low but on the other side of Habs 1st + is fantasy land.
Is it tho?

I listed centers 25 and under moved recently , all of them not in same tier as zegras at time of trade

Krebs was a main part of eichel trade
Gautheir got top young rhd + 2nd
Dach got 13th +66
Newhook got 31 + 37
Middlestat got top young rhd

Zegras is much better than all of those guys with the exception of possibly gauthier, gauthier forced his way out of Philly to so even if you think there is unrepairable issues between Anaheim and zegras…. He’d still have massive value

The 5th could be solid, but it’s still a gamble and a long shot to be better than zegras…. And not for a while(maybe you get lucky and Demidov is there) but outside of Demidov it’s pretty unlikely

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Don’t fully quote me on this because I might be miss remembering, but wasn’t columbus 1 of the rumored teams interested in zegras…. I imagine they’d just do jiricek for zegras
I don’t remember that but it’s entirely possible. You could also argue that almost the entire whole front office got canned in Columbus, so who knows what they think now

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Is it tho?

I listed centers 25 and under moved recently , all of them not in same tier as zegras at time of trade

Krebs was a main part of eichel trade
Gautheir got top young rhd + 2nd
Dach got 13th +66
Newhook got 31 + 37
Middlestat got top young rhd

Zegras is much better than all of those guys with the exception of possibly gauthier, gauthier forced his way out of Philly to so even if you think there is unrepairable issues between Anaheim and zegras…. He’d still have massive value

The 5th could be solid, but it’s still a gamble and a long shot to be better than zegras…. And not for a while(maybe you get lucky and Demidov is there) but outside of Demidov it’s pretty unlikely
I get that Zegras is better at the moment than those guys but thats a big leap to a top 5 pick +

If you are talking The Habs 2025 1st then we might have a starting point. They should be better next year but still not really near a playoff spot

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I get that Zegras is better at the moment than those guys but thats a big leap to a top 5 pick +

If you are talking The Habs 2025 1st then we might have a starting point. They should be better next year but still not really near a playoff spot
I’d say zegra is worth 8 spots in 1st over dach in what’s considered a pretty mid draft

Pretty easily tbh

And it’s not just better now, it was significantly better at the time of the trade…. Most those guys were flirting with bust territory at the time of trades

Like if Brady tkachuk was available I could see us packaging zegras to get him, outside of that idk that I see many trades within the realm of possible…. That make the ducks a better team

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I’d say zegra is worth 8 spots in 1st over dach in what’s considered a pretty mid draft

Pretty easily tbh

And it’s not just better now, it was significantly better at the time of the trade…. Most those guys were flirting with bust territory at the time of trades

Like if Brady tkachuk was available I could see us packaging zegras to get him, outside of that idk that I see many trades within the realm of possible…. That make the ducks a better team
If The Ducks insist on The Habs 1st in 24 Id pass if it were me. I would roll the dice on Lindstrom or Catton or maybe they get lucky and Demidov drops.

Combinations of other picks then id be interested.

Reactions: CapSpace

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If The Ducks insist on The Habs 1st in 24 Id pass if it were me. I would roll the dice on Lindstrom or Catton or maybe they get lucky and Demidov drops.

Combinations of other picks then id be interested.
Issue is the other picks don’t do much for us…. We’re in a similar spot as Montreal… and the reality is zegras much more important to the line up than random assortment of late 1sts + 2nd that might become nothing, or be 3-5 years away.

We’re not far off from pushing back into the playoffs and the holes we need to fix, is easily doable with our cap space + assets…. Really no reason to move zegras unless we’re packaging him for a superstar, or getting a really good young rhd

If we do trade zegras it’ll be part of a package to improve the team (like a Brady tkachuk), or a highish pick/prospect…. He’s not gunna be sold just because

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It really depends the likely hood of 5 being better than zegras anytime soon is unlikely…. Especially if Demidov and celebrini are off the board.

Lindstrom has injury issues
Catton has potential but could just be newhook/krebs type
Eiserman is prob far from a type need for Montreal

Also meant caufield at first part.

Maybe if we win lottery and levshunov was on board, it’d be appealing
One error here. There is no comparison between Krebs and Newhook. Krebs looks like a dud. Newhook is a scoring line forward who is capable of 60+ pts if he plays on the 2nd line. Catton is probably similar to him expect that Newhook is 200 lbs and stronger.

True, I think he's another Dubois. Very over rated. I was just stating what Montreal radio discussing.
Ridicuous. He is a far better player than Dubois. He is capable of 90+ pts. And he would have equal value to Caufield.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
One error here. There is no comparison between Krebs and Newhook. Krebs looks like a dud. Newhook is a scoring line forward who is capable of 60+ pts if he plays on the 2nd line. Catton is probably similar to him expect that Newhook is 200 lbs and stronger.

Ridicuous. He is a far better player than Dubois. He is capable of 90+ pts. And he would have equal value to Caufield.

I was specifically talking at the time of the trade(and their potential)…. but regardless newhook has never scored 20+ goals or 40+ points , he did have a ppg raise this season but we’ll see how that grows, I think newhook is more of a 3rd liner long term personally(but should be an above average 3rd liner).

Krebs was rated pretty highly as a prospect, just hasn’t really panned out. He might actually be a good buy low target for Canadians
As to the 2nd part, zegras rep is hilariously misinformed at this point

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
You are probably correct but who knows....but Lebrun saying The Ducks have not offered him around is not the same as them flat out saying he isn't available or aren't listening to offers.

From everything I gather from closely following the team, I see them angling to have Zegras mature into this team's captain/emotional leader, a lot more likely than moving him.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Maybe if they draft Levshunov. But even so, they’ve already got Kent Johnson, and you can’t have Zegras, Gaudreau, and KJ in the same top six if you want to win anything.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Maybe if they draft Levshunov. But even so, they’ve already got Kent Johnson, and you can’t have Zegras, Gaudreau, and KJ in the same top six if you want to win anything.
I might’ve been wrong…. Maybe it was Detroit or Buffalo

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
He’s not, that’s the whole point lol. Have you seen a single Ducks fan trying to trade him? Our GM has even said he’s not looking to move him.
Fans are mostly clueless when it comes to trades. They have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

Also GMs are pretty smart guys. He cant come out and say he is looking to deal a guy. Maybe he isnt but there are tons and tons of examples of a GM saying something and doing the opposite very soon after.

Reactions: ameselare

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Fans are mostly clueless when it comes to trades. They have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

Also GMs are pretty smart guys. He cant come out and say he is looking to deal a guy. Maybe he isnt but there are tons and tons of examples of a GM saying something and doing the opposite very soon after.
if he’s moved it’s to make the team better long term, not many offers discussed do that.

Prob not moving him just to move him, and certainly not trying to move him for scraps like some Montreal fans have suggested

Is he untouchable prob not, but it’ll take a haul to get him. Or it’ll be going after a big fish , and zegras being a key piece

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

what's your point exactly then? you asked why he's available, then you dismiss the reasons he's not available.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
habs fans are delusional. So unoriginal, trying to add caufields friend.

We should not go after Zegras.
Heck I would even look to trade Caufield for a better player.
Caufield and Zegras are both in the same mold as lil Mitch Marner.
Loser mentalities that wont do nothing come playoffs, and then your trapped with them

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
habs fans are delusional. So unoriginal, trying to add caufields friend.

We should not go after Zegras.
Heck I would even look to trade Caufield for a better player.
Caufield and Zegras are both in the same mold as lil Mitch Marner.
Loser mentalities that wont do nothing come playoffs, and then your trapped with them

Didn’t caufield have a solid playoff run when he went, for his age

And where is the proof of zegras having a loser mentality…. When he literally carried usa to a gold at world juniors…. He hasn’t gotten a chance to play meaningful games in the nhl yet…. So I dont get how so many people claim to know how hell be in those games.

I noticed you used marner…. Why not kane/kucherov? Do those types of skilled guys not help your point?

There’s no reason caufield and zegras can’t be good playoff players, both are still young…. And considered developing other aspects of their game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad