London Knights 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Game 7 is scheduled for Monday so box office will be open if required (it will be).
Thanks for the reply. Didn't realize that game 7 is scheduled for Monday ( senior brain fart ). Quick turnaround with travel, should make it interesting.

Reactions: dmead

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I am going to be very impartial my friend, "You Are Wrong" ! How's that!!

You've played hockey haven't you or not, you should know after an initial contact you just don't turn around and go you separate ways, check must be finished. Federkow initial contact was directed at the left shoulder clearly viewed on his approach by the video as the contact was made Spearing tried to back away and lower himself down in the process while Federkow tried to lift himself up for better leverage in doing so his first contact was on top and above Spearing left shoulder. With the initial contact made on top of the shoulder the follow through continued along the side of the head and on with a push of the head with the forearm and on again to the facewashing that uselly players love to do to rub it in to finish a check. Dirty , might be so, was it abnormal absolutely not aside from a player playing with a broken jaw. This kind of checks happens in most hockey games by most every players on all teams. "No player(s) will change his game because an opposing player wanting to beat you is playing hurt"

What most are seeing is the follow through after the initial contact, this is how it's done and if you played the game you out to know, if you don't finish your check (broken jaw or not) you will be sitting at end of the bench.
Don’t cloud the picture. It’s quite simple.

This isn’t about finishing a check. This isn’t about ducking (though Spearing clearly didn’t. He was shooting the puck). This isn’t about where you aim your hit. This isn’t about a broken jaw. This isn’t about the follow through.

Like it or not, in this league, it’s about the principle point of contact. Period.

In this case, it was shoulder/upper arm to head. Freeze frame the video to the point just before contact is first made. You’ll see shoulder/upper arm ready to contact the head.

Past that, I can’t help you. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Too much made about a single hit and imo a non call on a head check.

Here is a solution let's rewind to the 2 handed chop from behind that lead directly to a goal by the same player on the same shift and replay the whole thing from there with 5 minute minimum review on every shift to make sure the stripes got any call right and didn't miss any calls. Sounds like a fun game to watch lol.
( I never complained about the missed call on Othman that led to a goal either)
It's all noise. Players decide the outcomes, not the refs. Am I on the Windsor site here? No need for either side to dig in. They missed that call and a bunch of others that had more impact on the games.

As I said before the series. Was fortunate to help out a team in the provincial finals where Spearing dressed as an underage player. Lost in 1/4 finals. Seemed like a good kid. Also has a very competitive spirit to give it a go in these circumstances. Hung in there to try and make a play and got caught. Hopefully he heals up and no more damage was done to the jaw.

As an aside had a kid in local Jr. C league ( not junior Can. ) years ago take a few shifts after breaking a jaw. Had to pull him for his own good. He wanted to play and never mentioned the jaw after initial hit. 2 shifts after you could tell. Assessed player and pulled him. Some kids got that toughness gene for better or for worse lol.
Never assessed a head shot after without concern for the jaw.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
If Spearing took the hit like a man he wouldn't have put himself and his broken jaw in danger simple as that. Could you imagine penalizing a checker because the player ducked? Everyone would be hitting the ice before contact. Give your head a shake

Shawn Spearing is more of a man than anyone on the ice in this OHL final series.

This young man plays like a warrior, blocking more shots than any player in the OHL that I can remember. He is everything you would want in a captain – sacrifices his body every time he steps on the ice, loves the game, and his teammates love him. Spearing won an OHL Cup as captain of the Toronto Jr Canadiens in 2018.

He has faced so much adversity in his OHL career. Last year he came back from the lost COVID season and was named captain…...then it was all downhill – missed the first month with mono, tore his MCL mid season and then suffered the unexpected death of his father at the end of March. He only dressed for 26 games in all.

To bounce back this season from all of that is remarkable.
Spearing broke his jaw vs North Bay by blocking two shots with his face and he has been desperate to play ever since.

So please don’t say things like “if Spearing was man enough”…..it’s disrespectful and not accurate.

Should be an exciting game tonight!

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Team that executes its game plan the best and taken adv of miscues by opponents has won every game. Tonight should be the same.
No idea what to expect but........LK has to have balance on the ice to prevent odd man rushes find Avon early when he is on the ice please lol) and need to be effective on dump ins allowing to get on the slower Peyes D and force TOs. The are big n physical and battle hard but don't as a group have the best foot speed. Also dump ins to more effective need to be in a place with a touch that forces D to retrieve on back hand limiting options.
Peyes do a solid job trapping so speed thru the blues is tough and needs to come on volunteer attacks if at all.
Wilmore.....no pressure kid. Just play.

Should be fun. Who wants to step up tonight?

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Shawn Spearing is more of a man than anyone on the ice in this OHL final series.

This young man plays like a warrior, blocking more shots than any player in the OHL that I can remember. He is everything you would want in a captain – sacrifices his body every time he steps on the ice, loves the game, and his teammates love him. Spearing won an OHL Cup as captain of the Toronto Jr Canadiens in 2018.

He has faced so much adversity in his OHL career. Last year he came back from the lost COVID season and was named captain…...then it was all downhill – missed the first month with mono, tore his MCL mid season and then suffered the unexpected death of his father at the end of March. He only dressed for 26 games in all.

Spearing broke his jaw vs North Bay by blocking two shots with his face and he has been desperate to play ever since.

So please don’t say things like “if Spearing was man enough”…..it’s disrespectful and not accurate.

Kid is hard not to cheer for. The GAF meter runs full out for this player. See my above post if ya missed it. Followed that team in Cup run ( soft spot for the JrC from the year before ) Respect.

Reactions: EvenSteven

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
If Spearing took the hit like a man he wouldn't have put himself and his broken jaw in danger simple as that. Could you imagine penalizing a checker because the player ducked? Everyone would be hitting the ice before contact. Give your head a shake
Well you know the quality of refs we have in this league. I've seen players down on their knees and the hitting player called for a check to the head. So to be honest any call/ non call in this league is a crap shoot. So arguing about a call is really a swing for the fences. All we can do is wait to see what the officials on the ice call and after that see what transpired. No call on the ice so never going to be anything else.

Reactions: rve24 and Slowpace

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021

Excellent post. I have to root for my hometown but I still think the Petes take this. Good luck tonight. Petes org, team and fans deserve this.

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Don’t cloud the picture. It’s quite simple.

This isn’t about finishing a check. This isn’t about ducking (though Spearing clearly didn’t. He was shooting the puck). This isn’t about where you aim your hit. This isn’t about a broken jaw. This isn’t about the follow through.

Like it or not, in this league, it’s about the principle point of contact. Period.

In this case, it was shoulder/upper arm to head. Freeze frame the video to the point just before contact is first made. You’ll see shoulder/upper arm ready to contact the head.

Past that, I can’t help you. We’ll have to agree to disagree.
If you don't care what's about I care the point of contact was clearly to Spearing's upper left shoulder. No infraction, no infraction called no one got hurt other to the one already playing injured, good play all around and he will do it again if the chance comes back to him, and will finish his check broken jaw and all

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If you don't care what's about I care the point of contact was clearly to Spearing's upper left shoulder. No infraction, no infraction called no one got hurt other to the one already playing injured, good play all around and he will do it again if the chance comes back to him, and will finish his check broken jaw and all
As I said, we’ll agree to disagree.

As a Ranger fan, I want the Pete’s to win big time. But I also want to see Willmore stand on his head and have a big game.

So, I want my cake and eat it too!!

1-0 Pete’s in double OT with Willmore stopping over 50 SOG!

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
As I said, we’ll agree to disagree.

As a Ranger fan, I want the Pete’s to win big time. But I also want to see Willmore stand on his head and have a big game.

So, I want my cake and eat it too!!

1-0 Pete’s in double OT with Willmore stopping over 50 SOG!
EvenSteven not so even after all ! I am also bias but at I am not trying to make or change infraction. Enjoy the game both tonight and tomorrow night as well . Cheers !!

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Thanks for the reply. Didn't realize that game 7 is scheduled for Monday ( senior brain fart ). Quick turnaround with travel, should make it interesting.
Thats assuming Knights win tonight. Gonna be tough sledding against a really motivated opponent paying in front of their home crowd regardless of who is in net.

Last edited:

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Screenshot_20230521_184624_Messages.jpg

rve24

Oct 26, 2022

Moving Diaco down to balance lines on the road? I know he hasn't been real effective in the finals but I like this, esp on the road.
And I expect the lines to see the blender as well. Get a feel for who is on n ride it. No tomorrow if ya can't get this one.

If I had to wager tonight it wouldn't be on LK. But thsts ok after my precseries Sarnia thoughts lol.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Not a very good first period, not skating and standing still, they are getting hit left and right because there are no movement in their skates. Got to pick up the tempo and take the game from them or at the very least match the intensity. I am sure Dale&co will see to that

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I like how the first period played out. The formula has worked in the past. They defended the blue ice well. Weathered the push we knew was coming from Petes. They have done it many times this POs. Can it work again......?

I said before the series started, a big key is taking a hit to make a play ( "take it to make it" and "GAF meter" are my fav lol)

But now they gotta step it up a bit here to create more chances. ( I'll agree to that part FP)
Aagghh Federkow missed the yawning cage lol. But that shift is a perfect example of how to create vs the slightly slower Petes D. Turn em over n go to work.

Good 1st.

Reactions: Channelcat

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
I like how the first period played out. The formula has worked in the past. They defended the blue ice well. Weathered the push we knew was coming from Petes. They have done it many times this POs. Can it work again......?

I said before the series started, a big key is taking a hit to make a play ( "take it to make it" and "GAF meter" are my fav lol)

But now they gotta step it up a bit here to create more chances. ( I'll agree to that part FP)
Aagghh Federkow missed the yawning cage lol. But that shift is a perfect example of how to create vs the slightly slower Petes D. Turn em over n go to work.

Good 1st.
Most chances came on the PP anyway. Got lucky on that. 5 on 5 was pretty uneventful for both teams.

Reactions: rve24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese