Prospect Info: Logan Stanley - Part III

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'd absolutely love to see a big season from the kid.

Me too. I find myself rooting for Stanley just because of how much he gets dumped on in this forum.

Revisiting this thread reminded me that he's playing for the Kitchener Rangers and I (fortunately in this case, although I'd usually say unfortunately) live within a 1/2 drive of where the Rangers play. I think I'm going to have to try catch a game this season with my boys.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I see lots of Tyler Myers in him.
Listening to all the experts on him around here i thought getting 4 points in 2 games was not a possibility for him. He just didn't have any offensive upside.
I am hoping more for a big, mean shut down D that is not a liability when the puck is on his stick. Hoping his mobility improves enough in the next couple years that he can play in the NHL

After this preseason I feel his best chance is as an offensive type. Anyone thinking he will be a shutdown dman is going to be sadly disappointed IMO. He is an offensive type and it is how he should be developed. He's more a Myers type.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Me too. I find myself rooting for Stanley just because of how much he gets dumped on in this forum.

Revisiting this thread reminded me that he's playing for the Kitchener Rangers and I (fortunately in this case, although I'd usually say unfortunately) live within a 1/2 drive of where the Rangers play. I think I'm going to have to try catch a game this season with my boys.
I find myself rooting for him because he is a Jets prospect.

Glad to see that he's off to a strong start. He's tied for the team lead in points despite playing fewer games.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Cam Dineen is burning it up, so far. Maybe he's going to have a big bounce-back season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
After this preseason I feel his best chance is as an offensive type. Anyone thinking he will be a shutdown dman is going to be sadly disappointed IMO. He is an offensive type and it is how he should be developed. He's more a Myers type.

That's an interesting thought - especially in the context of Stanley being knocked for low offensive production in his draft year.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That's an interesting thought - especially in the context of Stanley being knocked for low offensive production in his draft year.

I think it's why he was knocked. He is pretty bad defensively but also stuck behind better players in Windsor. He might be given the green light to be the offence from the back end finally. Might help him gain some confidence. He is still getting walked a lot but at least he chips in on the other side of the ice now.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That too, of course. I guess what I meant is that I am rooting for him even more than other Jets prospects because of how harsh the criticism of him around here is.

He likely wouldn't have received such harsh criticism if he had not been drafted so high. 1st round picks will always have more to live up to because they should, that's why they were drafted in the 1st round. Because a team singled them out among hundreds of other players as being better or having higher potential than all of those players.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He likely wouldn't have received such harsh criticism if he had not been drafted so high. 1st round picks will always have more to live up to because they should, that's why they were drafted in the 1st round. Because a team singled them out among hundreds of other players as being better or having higher potential than all of those players.

And as Bourne said in his article today they are also afforded much more opportunity to succeed by the team that drafts them. The scouting staff have egos too and don't like to be proven wrong.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Except he wasn't " so high". Nobody else selected in that range is being discussed in the respective forums.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
And as Bourne said in his article today they are also afforded much more opportunity to succeed by the team that drafts them. The scouting staff have egos too and don't like to be proven wrong.

Absolutely. Stanley will be given a more oppourtunity then most guys in this organization simply because of his draft pedigree.

Except he wasn't " so high". Nobody else selected in that range is being discussed in the respective forums.

He was higher then many fans thought he should be. Not many teams have a thread about every single prospect in their system either. We are kind of obsessed around here with all of our guys. But even so many teams have discussions about their players. I'm sure that Anaheim is elated with Sam Steel and Isles fans are probably freaking out about Bellows. They just don't have near the rabid fan base we do.

Reactions: kxx

Teemus Salami

Sep 28, 2017
Felt like this needed a bump after I realized Stanley's got 8pts in 6 games (3 of which are goals). I haven't really watched him play much this year, but this looks like an obvious improvement.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Lets remember he's healthy for the first time in.......a long time. And not playing behind Sergechev, Day, Chatfield etc. This is finally his time.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Happy to see Biiiiiig Logan Stanley doing well. He comes across as a good kid and teammate, who works hard at getting better in something like the Scheifele mode. Not his fault the Jets traded up to get him, and if he can continue to improve his mobility and defensive awareness he might yet surprise.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Nice to see that he's doing well with promises of an NHL career. Maybe if the Jets make the playoffs he will be ready and make his presence known

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nice to see that he's doing well with promises of an NHL career. Maybe if the Jets make the playoffs he will be ready and make his presence known

That's a bit optimistic. He is still a long term project. Its just that he is finally starting to show promise of actually getting there someday.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That's a bit optimistic. He is still a long term project. Its just that he is finally starting to show promise of actually getting there someday.
Then kid is still in junior at the beginning of his D+2 year. Not saying you Mort but many seem to have already made their final determination on him. Like all prospects I'm quite content to wait it out and see which ones develop into actual NHL players.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

I think he showed it from about the last 10 games of his 15/16 season, was starting to show it last season leading up to his injury, and so far this season.

Last development camp he was one of the better d prospects. I think signs have been showing for a while now that he has some skill, that there is more than simply size, to his game.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I think he showed it from about the last 10 games of his 15/16 season, was starting to show it last season leading up to his injury, and so far this season.

Last development camp he was one of the better d prospects. I think signs have been showing for a while now that he has some skill, that there is more than simply size, to his game.
he has a LOT of teeth cutting to do. so many parts of his game need refining. i'm hoping that a lack of sheltering or depth in front of him results in him being forced to play in more difficult scenarios and thereby pushing his learning curve up faster.

PPG are a nice metric, but, honestly, that isn't what i care about. players going around him on the break and him being leadfooted in his own zone's what scares me the most. the latter may just be confidence and reads. maybe.

anyways, it took Morrissey, what...4 years to make the Jets? but Morrissey was miles ahead of Stanley at this point. if Stanley were Moose eligible, i think he's be the 3rd pairing.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
he has a LOT of teeth cutting to do. so many parts of his game need refining. i'm hoping that a lack of sheltering or depth in front of him results in him being forced to play in more difficult scenarios and thereby pushing his learning curve up faster.

PPG are a nice metric, but, honestly, that isn't what i care about. players going around him on the break and him being leadfooted in his own zone's what scares me the most. the latter may just be confidence and reads. maybe.

anyways, it took Morrissey, what...4 years to make the Jets? but Morrissey was miles ahead of Stanley at this point. if Stanley were Moose eligible, i think he's be the 3rd pairing.

Yea Logan needs this full season to get big minutes in the top situations on his junior team then I think two to three season on the Moose. I am pleased with his progress this season but he is still a long shot IMO.

Glad he is progressing though.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

He has to take a couple of big steps if he is going to make it, like most 19 year old prospects, and with a solid 5 years to get there. That's a lot of time to develop those skill, to take those steps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad