Prospect Info: Logan Stanley - Part III

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think his numbers will be fine, he's got enough offense to his game, Id rather he focus on improving his footspeed, gap, pivots, turning back to get the puck, etc. (can't rely on his long reach forever) He will get lots of PP time I think so we will see more of his nice shot. I like him as a prospect and still see him making the Jets, and bottom pairing D is fine with me.

Great point I was coming here to say something similar.....oddly he comes with a false Brand promise, maybe it's because Logan is so tall and heavy people want him to be a "shut down" defenseman but I think that is the area of his game he struggles with the most for all the reasons you list. I have been more impressed with his skill once the puck is on his stick and he has a bit of room and is skating forward.....that part of his game is exceeding my expectations. He has more natural ability with stretch passes, supporting the rush, skating with the puck, shooting, and supporting the play in the O zone.

I look at him as a long shot to make it to 200 games in the NHL but I am cheering for him and hope he proves me wrong :towel:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think his numbers will be fine, he's got enough offense to his game, Id rather he focus on improving his footspeed, gap, pivots, turning back to get the puck, etc. (can't rely on his long reach forever) He will get lots of PP time I think so we will see more of his nice shot. I like him as a prospect and still see him making the Jets, and bottom pairing D is fine with me.

This is a good point, it is funny how we (me) have started to equate only offensive production with potential after it has been pushed so much.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Aye. Don't disagree fundamentally.

His shot is pretty decent and he has a lot of weight to weigh into it. His puck skills in terms of IQ are a bit suspect to me but they aren't terrible... especially when he's in the offensive zone.

With PP TOI and EV TOI both going up, his offense should definitely go up significantly, even if he were no better than last year (which should not be the case).

Those are definitely his weaknesses and the biggest reason why I'm not sold on that 3rd pairing projection occurring, yet. It's still a maybe, not a probably, for me. (I'm not going to count a guy who plays 3rd pair but posts a sub-0 WAR ranking as a legit 3rd pairing defender either)

I said pre-draft I see him as a guy that I'd be happy with drafted in the 3rd-5th round most drafts. So, it's not like I view him as a null prospect.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
This is a good point, it is funny how we (me) have started to equate only offensive production with potential after it has been pushed so much.

Generally speaking, it's because we don't have much else, and at JR level if you are good enough to play NHL level, you will be good enough to have some offensive impact in JR...

That's only a trend. There are exceptions to the rule, especially when dealing only with trends.

That said, my other numbers I have on Stanley have not been pretty either. For example, at least Nogier, who also stunk at scoring, posted solid zone exits and was one of the best relCorsi defenders (note: good relCorsi on a tire fire team like the Blades is easier than good relCorsi on a good team)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Its not about the offense. Its about the skill/talent indicated by the offense.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Its not about the offense. Its about the skill/talent indicated by the offense.

Good point, but I agree with Puck Stoppa's position. I think we see another step forward by Stanley with point production has he has a pretty good offensive skill set and he will likely get optimal usage this season. That in itself won't get him closer to being an NHL player or a better prospect. Improving upon areas of weakness is what will move him forward as a prospect even if it wasn't matched by point totals. I'm guessing " Jets eyes" will be watching if the technical skills develop not the boxscores. While the vast majority of HF Jets eyes will be judging him on boxscores and have no idea if the technical skills have developed or not. Not because they can't see it, but rather few will have more than very limited viewings.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Good point, but I agree with Puck Stoppa's position. I think we see another step forward by Stanley with point production has he has a pretty good offensive skill set and he will likely get optimal usage this season. That in itself won't get him closer to being an NHL player or a better prospect. Improving upon areas of weakness is what will move him forward as a prospect even if it wasn't matched by point totals. I'm guessing " Jets eyes" will be watching if the technical skills develop not the boxscores. While the vast majority of HF Jets eyes will be judging him on boxscores and have no idea if the technical skills have developed or not. Not because they can't see it, but rather few will have more than very limited viewings.

I agree. Usage alone will probably result in increased scoring. His offensive potential for the NHL is not great but not bad. If he can improve in his weak areas, foot speed for one, if he can become solid defensively then he has an NHL future. I would be very happy if we get a defensively reliable Dman who can chip in a little scoring out of him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I agree. Usage alone will probably result in increased scoring. His offensive potential for the NHL is not great but not bad. If he can improve in his weak areas, foot speed for one, if he can become solid defensively then he has an NHL future. I would be very happy if we get a defensively reliable Dman who can chip in a little scoring out of him.

This is a critical year for development because like Scheifele was in has draft +2 season Logan will get a chance at being "the man" on the back end in Kitchener. Now I am not expecting similar results just that he will get similar opportunity where he should get #1-#2 usage. He needs to develop in all areas and hopefully the year will be a good one for him.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I haven't been able to catch a Rangers game with Stanley but he's got 4 points in 2 games(1 isn't over yet) so far.

Last edited:

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
He got one of the three stars of the week in the OHL.

Is this just natural growing from an Offensive perspective, did he pick something up from Byfuglien(while playing with him) or simply luck? Also does anyone know how his Defensive side of the game is looking(is he still falling back due to his foot speed or has he progressed)?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I noted last year that his offense was depressed by lack of opportunity and a system that didn't give much offensive opportunities to D. He has more offensive capability than many have given him credit for. I hope he has a strong season, including a spot on Team Canada for the World Juniors. He's a long term project, but the derision that he's received, and the excessive slagging of the Jets scouting, has been a bit overboard. It'll be interesting to see if the tone changes if he develops well and has a very productive season.

Reactions: AtomicJets

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Listening to all the experts on him around here i thought getting 4 points in 2 games was not a possibility for him. He just didn't have any offensive upside.

You understand what a sample size is right?

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
past 2 years, it has taken Stanley a little while to get going but he would get better (more points) as season progressed. i had a theory that big guys take a bit longer to find their legs as the season begins. nice to see the good start.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I am hoping more for a big, mean shut down D that is not a liability when the puck is on his stick. Hoping his mobility improves enough in the next couple years that he can play in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad