Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux, RHD, London Knights (OHL), 31st overall : hockey-talk only. (OHL approves return)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
My small problem with the HR analogy is that it's not like he was a top 10 pick and fell because of what happened. He was seen as late 1st pick before we knew it happened. But the rest of your post, I agree.

He was higher than a late-1st on some lists before teams found out what happened (check out Bob McK's write-up). A few hockey media people also mentioned after the 1st round that there were teams planning to take him in the 2nd when there wasn't as much spotlight.

Habs loved his tools and potential and couldn't resist at 31..whether rightly or wr0ngly.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was higher than a late-1st on some lists before teams found out what happened (check out Bob McK's write-up). A few hockey media people also mentioned after the 1st round that there were teams planning to take him in the 2nd when there wasn't as much spotlight.

Habs loved his tools and potential and couldn't resist at 31..whether rightly or wr0ngly.

It's very possible that we ended up with a 15-20 range pick type value at the end of the draft. We will see how he performs moving forward. I support the Habs in taking this shot with our back of the bus draft pick and how we can help the kid change his direction in life. It's not about what he did in the past, it's about the support and decisions he makes moving forward.

If the Habs don't draft him, some other team would. I really don't care about the late 1st vs 2nd narrative where is draws less attention. Take the guy with potential when you get the chance.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
It's very possible that we ended up with a 15-20 range pick type value at the end of the draft. We will see how he performs moving forward. I support the Habs in taking this shot with our back of the bus draft pick and how we can help the kid change his direction in life. It's not about what he did in the past, it's about the support and decisions he makes moving forward.

If the Habs don't draft him, some other team would. I really don't care about the late 1st vs 2nd narrative where is draws less attention. Take the guy with potential when you get the chance.

Data shows that "back of the bus" picks late in the 1st have a tough hill to climb to ever collect an NHL pension let alone be a top two line producer. Habs took a player with NHL top 4 D tools. It's just a matter of whether everything can come together for him.

A lot of folks here complain that the Habs don't draft enough players with high upside and that most of our top prospects are safe secondary players at best without top line potential. Nobody can complain about that with this pick!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Data shows that "back of the bus" picks late in the 1st have a tough hill to climb to ever collect an NHL pension let alone be a top two line producer. Habs took a player with NHL top 4 D tools. It's just a matter of whether everything can come together for him.

A lot of folks here complain that the Habs don't draft enough players with high upside and that most of our top prospects are safe secondary players at best without top line potential. Nobody can complain about that with this pick!

Agreed. We didn't ignore what he did. We took him with high potential with where our pick was and with the mindset we can help him develop both on the ice and off the ice. It has the potential to back fire and it did to some degree but if this kid makes better decisions and says the right things and develops well, we can come out of this with a very good value pick at 31.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

I don’t think teams should be colluding together to avoid drafting kids at all. The kid made a mistake, paid the price and moved on, but that wasn’t enough for certain ppl. They want this teenage boy punished for life.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t think teams should be colluding together to avoid drafting kids at all. The kid made a mistake, paid the price and moved on, but that wasn’t enough for certain ppl. They want this teenage boy punished for life.

Yeah, some do think he should be blocked to continue his life. This can still backfire on the Habs if he makes another mistake but it also has the potential to be a good story if both London and the Habs can help him become a better adult. Making mistakes in life is part of the journey... how you learn from them is important.

So yeah, I feel some overreacted. What he did was a bad mistake for sure. But he can't be punished forever and everyone needs to move on and keep him on a short leash. I had several conversation with females on this and some want him to die where others have said that he deserves punishment but it's time to move on from it. It was interesting to see the female side of things and how those opinions also varied.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
So yeah, I feel some overreacted. What he did was a bad mistake for sure. But he can't be punished forever and everyone needs to move on and keep him on a short leash. I had several conversation with females on this and some want him to die where others have said that he deserves punishment but it's time to move on from it. It was interesting to see the female side of things and how those opinions also varied.
When you make an even bigger problem out of an existing problem. Many people need introspection in their life.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When you make an even bigger problem out of an existing problem. Many people need introspection in their life.

Social media momentum has given too many people access to voice their opinions where in the past, they would say something at a party or coffee shop and get ignored for the most part. Kind of like kids who failed at science in High School and think they can provide value in a Covid 19 conversation today as an "adult". :laugh:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, some do think he should be blocked to continue his life. This can still backfire on the Habs if he makes another mistake but it also has the potential to be a good story if both London and the Habs can help him become a better adult. Making mistakes in life is part of the journey... how you learn from them is important.

Those people are terrible. No offense if they're your friends... but holy shit.

If we aren't going to try to rehabilitate people who make mistakes (and trust me there are thousands of people on this forum alone who have made worse mistakes that just weren't documented).... especially people under the age of 18... then why do we even have a justice system? Ship them off to an island to live amongst each other with no supplies! :facepalm:

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Social media momentum has given too many people access to voice their opinions where in the past, they would say something at a party or coffee shop and get ignored for the most part. Kind of like kids who failed at science in High School and think they can provide value in a Covid 19 conversation today as an "adult". :laugh:
I always find it crazy when the mobs of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc banish someone for something they said 10 years ago. I always sit there wondering how "perfect" these people must be to jump on board. I know people personally who will discuss these things in person (sometimes taking the mob side)... people that I've known for 20 years. And I just sit there, laughing in my head, because I know things they've done that just are documented.

Very few people on this planet have not done incredibly awful things that they regret at some point in their life. I, myself, am definitely guilty of many things I regret as well as some things I could have stepped in and tried to stop.

I won't comment on your last point here... but holy shit, it's so true. :laugh:

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021

If we aren't going to try to rehabilitate people who make mistakes (and trust me there are thousands of people on this forum alone who have made worse mistakes that just weren't documented).... especially people under the age of 18... then why do we even have a justice system? Ship them off to an island to live amongst each other with no supplies! :facepalm:

People are just filled with rage in this day and age. A kid can't make a mistake. I doubt many people who are judging this kid even know the facts. He has been punished by the courts and society and will have to live with this for a while. Punishment enough. I bet this whole situation makes him grow up real quick.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
People are just filled with rage in this day and age. A kid can't make a mistake. I doubt many people who are judging this kid even know the facts. He has been punished by the courts and society and will have to live with this for a while. Punishment enough. I bet this whole situation makes him grow up real quick.

He also served a lengthy OHL suspension.
Ryan O'Reilly got pissed drunk behind a wheel as an adult and crashed into a Tim Horton's that had people inside and fled the scene. He got off because he could afford expensive lawyers. No hockey suspension as well. All you ever hear about him now is that he's a great captain, center and a Stanley Cup winner.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm curious, was he considered a late 1st rounder because of Bob's list and how the scouts knew what happened? I found this article where he was ranked 45th in Bob's mid season rankings. Power the unanimous No. 1 in TSN’s mid-season draft rankings - TSN.ca

Seems like he gained value from mid season to end of season?

In his final rankings, he was 31st. So yes, he gained value. Surely his play in Sweden didn't go unnoticed. Kid was almost PPG. 1 less point than the leaders. Who were 3-4 years older than him. Team finished with 2 wins in 20 games.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

That's what is also written... ''Absent the legal issues, which of course is not the case, this is the range where he may have expected to have been chosen.''

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Agreed. We didn't ignore what he did. We took him with high potential with where our pick was and with the mindset we can help him develop both on the ice and off the ice. It has the potential to back fire and it did to some degree but if this kid makes better decisions and says the right things and develops well, we can come out of this with a very good value pick at 31.
I said from day 1 that they knew what kind of blowback they'd get and that they had a plan to mitigate it. This actually gives them the opportunity to address a serious issue, which they've already started putting in place. Only a few media people in Quebec who cater to the whiners will bring situation up again if this kid ever makes it.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I said from day 1 that they knew what kind of blowback they'd get and that they had a plan to mitigate it. This actually gives them the opportunity to address a serious issue, which they've already started putting in place. Only a few media people in Quebec who cater to the whiners will bring situation up again if this kid ever makes it.
I think you give MB too much credit here lol, but I’m glad they picked who they thought was the best player. They are kids, the rest doesn’t matter. Choices you make at 16-17 years old don’t define you as a person for the rest of your life.

I’ve made plenty of bad choices at that age, whether through peer pressure, maturity or what not. Im glad I wasn’t canceled because of it. I’ve done pretty good for myself as an adult.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I think you give MB too much credit here lol, but I’m glad they picked who they thought was the best player. They are kids, the rest doesn’t matter. Choices you make at 16-17 years old don’t define you as a person for the rest of your life.

I’ve made plenty of bad choices at that age, whether through peer pressure, maturity or what not. Im glad I wasn’t canceled because of it. I’ve done pretty good for myself as an adult.
That's another point. Who didn't make bad choices at that age? It's time to move on. Unfortunately, people will still want to make it news 3 or 4 years from now if and when he suits up.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I had several conversation with females on this and some want him to die where others have said that he deserves punishment but it's time to move on from it. It was interesting to see the female side of things and how those opinions also varied.
That's because it really has nothing to do with them being women, but with their ideology and how they individually see the world.

There's this very conservative and draconian attitude regarding punishment and the criminal justice system, especially in the US but elsewhere too, where people who make a mistake or do something stupid should be banished and ostracized from the society forever. I mean, the ultimate form of cancel culture, the capital punishment, is still a thing in the US. It's insane, and those reactionary attitudes are now polluting the social media side of things too (globally).

It's not about your gender, it's this holier-than-thou attitude and the need to put yourself above others who you see as bad and evil because they did something bad once. Sure, if someone is consistently a bad person it's different, but you have to allow people to rehabilitate and reform. Or else you'll end up where the US is, where they house a quarter of the whole world's incarcerated population and execute people like it's still the middle ages.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The "want him to die" comment was with exaggeration but they were passionate about him suffering for the rest of his life and it was excessive. I didn't agree but didn't engage and I let other females fight them on that which was entertaining. It is kind of hard to have conversations with people like that and there are a lot of people in this world who act that way and it's weird that they can't accept alternative opinions. It's like they have knee jerk reactions and don't think it through enough before you speak.

A guy who has recently retired said this to me over the years... you have two ears and one mouth. Listen twice before you speak :laugh:

Reactions: Natey

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017

Lmao at wanting him to die. I get that there’s trauma laden in just being a woman, but Jesus Christ am I glad we have checks and balances for not bending to those kind of whims.

Reactions: habsfan891

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's because it really has nothing to do with them being women, but with their ideology and how they individually see the world.

There's this very conservative and draconian attitude regarding punishment and the criminal justice system, especially in the US but elsewhere too, where people who make a mistake or do something stupid should be banished and ostracized from the society forever. I mean, the ultimate form of cancel culture, the capital punishment, is still a thing in the US. It's insane, and those reactionary attitudes are now polluting the social media side of things too (globally).

It's not about your gender, it's this holier-than-thou attitude and the need to put yourself above others who you see as bad and evil because they did something bad once. Sure, if someone is consistently a bad person it's different, but you have to allow people to rehabilitate and reform. Or else you'll end up where the US is, where they house a quarter of the whole world's incarcerated population and execute people like it's still the middle ages.

I think it has a lot to do with them being women cause only their sex can understand the impacts of what he did to her. You try to push your opinion on their sex about what is fair and what is not fair. Good luck with that

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

Leaving Mailloux out of it I think it's good the incident happened in Sweden. There was no attempt to cover up, no threats of long prison terms, they punished him and he seems to get it. The victim has, understandably, not forgiven him, and is very pissed, but at least she got some, meager, compensation and complete vindication. It's a demonstration of how to deal with things that our schools could learn from.

US and Canadian universities cover up sexual assault too frequently (that is to say, at all), at least according to recent articles. They mostly just try to quiet things down and avoid punishing anyone, or changing future behavior. There are complaints here in Montreal that rape kits aren't available, aren't offered following assaults, and aren't followed up on. I doubt that happens in Sweden.

We'll see how it ends up. As a late first to early second pick Mailloux should have about a 30% chance to have a career at all, and much less to have a significant impact. One of the knocks on him is his brain and maybe his lack of consideration for others has given him a chance to work on that. I'm not sure it will teach him to play good defense, but we'll see; the stereotype is that offense is innate and defense is learned, maybe he can learn. He has a lot of tools, though, with luck he was just blocked by depth in London and will show more in the next few weeks.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Leaving Mailloux out of it I think it's good the incident happened in Sweden. There was no attempt to cover up, no threats of long prison terms, they punished him and he seems to get it. The victim has, understandably, not forgiven him, and is very pissed, but at least she got some, meager, compensation and complete vindication. It's a demonstration of how to deal with things that our schools could learn from.

US and Canadian universities cover up sexual assault too frequently (that is to say, at all), at least according to recent articles. They mostly just try to quiet things down and avoid punishing anyone, or changing future behavior. There are complaints here in Montreal that rape kits aren't available, aren't offered following assaults, and aren't followed up on. I doubt that happens in Sweden.

We'll see how it ends up. As a late first to early second pick Mailloux should have about a 30% chance to have a career at all, and much less to have a significant impact. One of the knocks on him is his brain and maybe his lack of consideration for others has given him a chance to work on that. I'm not sure it will teach him to play good defense, but we'll see; the stereotype is that offense is innate and defense is learned, maybe he can learn. He has a lot of tools, though, with luck he was just blocked by depth in London and will show more in the next few weeks.

If this happened in Canada, his name would not have been made public and she would be open to charges herself since he was 17 at the time.

Reactions: dralaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad