Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux, RHD, London Knights (OHL), 31st overall : hockey-talk only. (OHL approves return)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Mods, feel free to make changes, but I feel like we should have a separate thread where we can see scouting reports, discuss his abilities, etc without having to read a gazillion pages about the event. It does not take away from its importance, but it allows to keep discussion on the subject that a lot of us really want to discuss: will X player become a good player in the future?

So, can anyone post scouting reports on him or video sequences?

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
For my part, I did not know much about the draft this year, but I am impressed by the size/skating combo.

I like that the pick is from OHL. It has the least exposure this year and most potential for improvement. Mailloux playing in a lower league the season before doubles down on that unknown factor. The homerun potential seems through the roof.

Reactions: shanewalsh

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I think better players were available, but there's no doubt he's got talent. It's a 30th+ pick so the expectations aren't super high... But let's see where this goes.

I think almost every GM would have taken him eventually.

Pretty sure I saw a few teams wanted him in the 2nd round.....

Hansem1979

Jun 25, 2021
Rated 51st by scouting blogs so he seemed nearer the 3rd round that the second.
Even from a purely hockey standpoint, don’t understand this pick as several available RHD were ahead of him

Hansem1979

Jun 25, 2021
He was ranked 35th on Bob's list.

Yeah well I understand he will be ranked differently from different people but even at 35 we picked him before his actual rank, so he is not a steal in any way.

so we expect from him what there is to expect from a 30th-40th pick, which is not much hockey wise.

Reactions: 74 others

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Seems like a typical project. I hope he works on all aspects of what it takes to become a good pro.

Reactions: japhi

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
What's the rationale behind taking him so high? From all scouting reports I've seen, he was ranked anywhere from 35th to the 50th range. Why risk a 31st overall pick on him?

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Love this pick more and more. There's not a whole lot of highlights I could find, how's his one timer? Such a necessary tool to be dangerous on a powerplay

Reactions: shanewalsh

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
What's the rationale behind taking him so high? From all scouting reports I've seen, he was ranked anywhere from 35th to the 50th range. Why risk a 31st overall pick on him?

Talent. He wouldn’t have made it through the second round, a team would have picked him up.

A lot of tools and potential. He isn’t a defensive defensemen or one of those big slow no skilled guys. Big body, fluid skater for his size and amazing hands. He can play physical and has a pretty good gap control but in his zone he will be lost sometimes and doesn’t have the best defensive read. Still things he can pick up but there is obviously some potential there.

He was 35th on McKenzie’s list while barely playing in a division that isn’t as scouted.

This is literally a boom or bust prospect, he may re-invent himself if the offensive side doesn’t pan out but I doubt it. Next season will show us what he is really made of.

Who knows, maybe in a week the pressure is so high that Habs renounce his rights. Maybe in 3-4 years he’s a bust or highly regarded.

Was surprised by the pick (wouldn’t have been my choice), thought we would be the last team to go there but potential is clearly there that it works or flops (won’t blame the team for trying, on talent/potential alone he is definitely first round material).

Reactions: Montreal Shadow

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I think his "official" ranking(s) by the experts was definitely influenced by the events of this season. After seeing the videos, with his combination of size, skating abilities, high-quality shot arsenal, and RH shot, this is easily a kid that could have gone top 15 in this funky draft. Much better prospect than Ceulemans IMO.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Yeah well I understand he will be ranked differently from different people but even at 35 we picked him before his actual rank, so he is not a steal in any way.

so we expect from him what there is to expect from a 30th-40th pick, which is not much hockey wise.

Well, he was ranked 30th by HockeyProspect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad