Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux, RHD, London Knights (OHL), 31st overall : hockey-talk only. (OHL approves return)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Leaving Mailloux out of it I think it's good the incident happened in Sweden. There was no attempt to cover up, no threats of long prison terms, they punished him and he seems to get it. The victim has, understandably, not forgiven him, and is very pissed, but at least she got some, meager, compensation and complete vindication. It's a demonstration of how to deal with things that our schools could learn from.

US and Canadian universities cover up sexual assault too frequently (that is to say, at all), at least according to recent articles. They mostly just try to quiet things down and avoid punishing anyone, or changing future behavior. There are complaints here in Montreal that rape kits aren't available, aren't offered following assaults, and aren't followed up on. I doubt that happens in Sweden.

We'll see how it ends up. As a late first to early second pick Mailloux should have about a 30% chance to have a career at all, and much less to have a significant impact. One of the knocks on him is his brain and maybe his lack of consideration for others has given him a chance to work on that. I'm not sure it will teach him to play good defense, but we'll see; the stereotype is that offense is innate and defense is learned, maybe he can learn. He has a lot of tools, though, with luck he was just blocked by depth in London and will show more in the next few weeks.

No "girlfriends" allowed for Mailloux until he is 23? :sarcasm:. Stick with living in the gym and on the ice with his development focus and stay off your phone too. This can be a life changing situation for him if he chooses to slide into the Hockey development obsession while he is learning how to be a better adult. One little gain at a time and stay off the radar when it comes to non hockey related stuff.

Reactions: iamtalbot

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
If this happened in Canada, his name would not have been made public and she would be open to charges herself since he was 17 at the time.

I disagree, but I think I already went too much against the thread directions in my previous post so I won't elaborate beyond saying that he wasn't the victim (she didn't brag on the internet) so he wouldn't be protected in Canada or in Sweden. Edit: he could normally get a publication ban through the young offender's act, I suppose, but I doubt a court would grant it for something he publicized on the internet.

I still hope he's way better at hockey (and life) than I expect him to be so far...

Last edited:
Reactions: Marc BergeFan

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I disagree, but I think I already went too much against the thread directions in my previous post so I won't elaborate beyond saying that he wasn't the victim (she didn't brag on the internet) so he wouldn't be protected in Canada or in Sweden.

I still hope he's way better at hockey (and life) than I expect him to be so far...

Interesting. I agree, we are too far off topic, and I wasn't defending the kid for his actions.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I think it has a lot to do with them being women cause only their sex can understand the impacts of what he did to her. You try to push your opinion on their sex about what is fair and what is not fair. Good luck with that
But you yourself said that different women thought about it in different ways. And there are men who think about that in different ways too. So clearly the thinking is not based on gender. That's my point.

Also men can be a victim of that type of stuff too. It's just silly identity politics, when the real issue is the ideology behind the identity. How do you see your fellow humans; are you a holier-than-thou reactionary conservative who supports draconian criminal justice that cancels people for their mistakes, or do you think we are product of our environments and therefore can be rehabilitated.

Reactions: iamtalbot

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Rape culture and cancel culture are not the same thing.

I'm well aware. All I'm saying is that literally nothing is happening as far as Mailloux, most people who were mad about the pick didn't even say there was anything wrong about him being reinstated (though the timing of the release was typical OHL bullshit).

Then people who loved the pick and minimized the extent of his actions and the impact it could have on the victim will come in once a day yelling about cancel culture.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Wow he looks like he's about 13 years old which is really weird for a 6'5 guy.
Or maybe that's a side effect of turning 40 lately.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wow he looks like he's about 13 years old which is really weird for a 6'5 guy.
Or maybe that's a side effect of turning 40 lately.

I have a friend who had a "baby face" even when we were in our 20's. All of us were shaving and he was barely able to grow any facial hair.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I think it has a lot to do with them being women cause only their sex can understand the impacts of what he did to her. You try to push your opinion on their sex about what is fair and what is not fair. Good luck with that

Well we have to - we live in a world with justice systems for all not just one sex, so the idea that we "just can't understand" is nonsensical. Are you suggesting lawyers and judges have to be the same sex when it comes to certain issues?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well we have to - we live in a world with justice systems for all not just one sex, so the idea that we "just can't understand" is nonsensical. Are you suggesting lawyers and judges have to be the same sex when it comes to certain issues?

I'm not talking about law. Talking about perception and alternative opinions. There is no way in hell as a Male, I would try to pretend what that girl is going through or went through. We as males, just can't pretend to know. That's my point and I do value what Women have to say about it even if that also varies in opinions.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I'm not talking about law. Talking about perception and alternative opinions. There is no way in hell as a Male, I would try to pretend what that girl is going through or went through. We as males, just can't pretend to know. That's my point and I do value what Women have to say about it even if that also varies in opinions.

That makes no sense - our judicial system is predicated on understanding the human experience. Law is just the codification of what you're talking about. The idea that people with differences can't understand each other is a problem.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
That makes no sense - our judicial system is predicated on understanding the human experience. Law is just the codification of what you're talking about. The idea that people with differences can't understand each other is a problem.
That opinion he just lobbed out is nonsense,

"There is no way in hell as a Male, I would try to pretend what that girl is going through or went through. We as males, just can't pretend to know."

Ok then the flip side is also true, females can't understand the male experience, so they shouldn't comment on it at all. A person from Toronto can't pretend to know what a person from Halifax goes through. The logic is broken, and if you follow it through to its core then it basically summarizes to no one can understand anyone else's experiences and shouldn't try.

What a bizarre concept when we have a literal feeling named for exactly that called empathy which we all experience feelings of. All this type of logic is used for is to blunt debate by neglecting facts and turning towards feelings instead which are inherently unique to the individual.

This argument is the equivalent of two people in a room, the first says the rooms cold, the 2nd says it's 21* which is room temperature. Do you believe the feeling of the 1st that the room is freezing or the fact of the 2nd that room temperature is not cold?

Reactions: admiralcadillac

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Jesus, and here I thought this was a hockey talk tread only.

Well, it was when i made the thread at the time of selection, but of course since then the other thread got lost and no moderator will want to separate the two again.

Hopefully when he plays a game we can get a little hockey talk back in here.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
That opinion he just lobbed out is nonsense,

"There is no way in hell as a Male, I would try to pretend what that girl is going through or went through. We as males, just can't pretend to know."

Ok then the flip side is also true, females can't understand the male experience, so they shouldn't comment on it at all. A person from Toronto can't pretend to know what a person from Halifax goes through. The logic is broken, and if you follow it through to its core then it basically summarizes to no one can understand anyone else's experiences and shouldn't try.

What a bizarre concept when we have a literal feeling named for exactly that called empathy which we all experience feelings of. All this type of logic is used for is to blunt debate by neglecting facts and turning towards feelings instead which are inherently unique to the individual.

This argument is the equivalent of two people in a room, the first says the rooms cold, the 2nd says it's 21* which is room temperature. Do you believe the feeling of the 1st that the room is freezing or the fact of the 2nd that room temperature is not cold?

It's an argument that is increasingly common but amounts to solipsism if followed through.

In any case has anyone seen Mailloux play this year?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It makes sense to me. This is not a punishment legal conversation. It's trying to understand what females say about it and how that opinion varies within their sex. I value what they have to say about it more than men (according to the victim's side of things).

Anyways, I rather move on from it and talk about Mailloux's potential as a hockey player. Great skater and size and he's got to figure out the maturity/trust part of playing as a defenseman. If he can, we have something here.

Reactions: admiralcadillac

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I have a friend who had a "baby face" even when we were in our 20's. All of us were shaving and he was barely able to grow any facial hair.

Hi that's me right now! I'm thinking positive in that I'm hoping this means I'll just age well. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad